Vox style amp with reverb - good for bedroom and stage?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    ICBM said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    What about the blackstar artist/an those are supposed to be rather good.
    Well made but very heavy and don't sound like a Vox.

If you can afford it and find one, I would suggest a Matchless Lightning Reverb. I can't remember exactly how much they weigh, but the one I played was by far the lightest Matchless I've ever lifted, and also easily the most Voxy-sounding.
    Ah I thought it was blackstars ac30 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72389
    DrJazzTap said:

Ah I thought it was blackstars ac30 
    I think it's supposed to be, but it's really a very different-sounding amp. And very heavy - even the 15W one is over 50lb.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• althyalthy Frets: 92
    top hat?
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    Hughes & Kettner Statesman
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    edited May 2018
    Used Mesa Transatlantic. The combo is surprisingly light, f**king loud and the head is a lunchbox style (30 or 15 watt variants) if that is a route you're open to. 

Has a switchable 'Fender' or 'Vox' sound on the first channel. I let my Vox go because the Mesa sounded just as good (if obviously not 100% authentic it was 90% of the way there) and it was much easier to dial in to the venue/room being used. It also has power scaling that is actually useful and works.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I have a rather splendid Wolftone W20
    These were very Vox like with EL84s etc 
    The design was such that the head and speaker were separate and the weight such that you can walk in with the head in one hand and maybe your guitar in the other , and the cab is an easy one man move too 
    Has valve driven spring Reverb and Tremolo
    Rated at 20W but has a half power switch on the rear - great pedal platform too
    Two button footswitch included for reverb and tremolo
    I am the original owner - we were a stockist when these came out and had hardly any use at all as it sits looking pretty in the shop

They were about £1300, but happy to sell for £799 collected or we can discuss packing and shipping

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118

Interesting, but kinda hard to get demos of this amp. Whereabouts are you?
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    edited May 2018

Interesting, but kinda hard to get demos of this amp. Whereabouts are you?
    You're quite new here aren't you

Croydon squire. Famous place. Know what I mean.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.