As home practice amps evolve.....

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• AnacharsisAnacharsis Frets: 200
    All my amps are for practice and recording, as I don't perform live any more. I used to have a THR10 and THR10C, and I liked them both. But I personally missed the larger speakers and especially open/semi-open  backed cabinets. Now I use the following:

Blackstar HT-1R heads with 1x12 cabinets. I actually have three of these rigs, for use in different places or for stereo effect and W/D/W recording. 

Roland JC-22 for crystal clean.

Roland Blues Cube Hots - all three versions (standard tweed voiced, British EL84 Modified, and BOSS Drive Special - think Bluesbreaker). They all have 5 watt and 1/2 watt settings that give full range of sound at low volume, and higher watt options for clean headroom with a little grit at home.

I then have hardware that can go direct with for idea capture (ZOOM G3n), and a DAW on my computer that I use with BIAS.

I consider myself more than satisfied with those options.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    edited May 2018
    I use a 100watt Mesa Boogie...    thankfully it has master volume 
  • MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
    munckee said:
    I have a 5 watt champ which sounds better than the yamaha thr5 but for low volumes, ie when the kids are asleep the champ is too loud a sound even with pedals,  The THR means I can play crunchy sounds and not wake them up and face the wrath of missus munckee.  If that's what you look for in these type amps I don't think you will be disappointed.  
    +1 for the 5w tweed champ - incredible amp, tone for days at almost any volume. Can be unbelievably loud for a 5w 8" alnico pushed with a clean boost, or alternatively genuine 'late night home practice volume' using a pedal with 3 band eq + volume and gain knobs to control eq drive and output. Whichever way, real plug and play tube tone in a small package that never disappoints..

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well I am even more sold on the tech having just got an Amplifi 75, full range so brill for streaming, easy to use and see on the iPad Pro..  be absolute rubbish in a gig environment but at home superb.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    proggy said:
    I love my practise amp

Bloody Hell, do you practise in a field?

This reminds me of when I borrowed the Carlsboro amp from the school's PA system (100w per channel) and plugged it into a pair of Orange 2x12's and put everything on 10- in my parent's garden. Could be heard for miles apparently and thankfully the  then new neighbours thought it was hilarious.