NGD - "A rather special goldtop" (WezV content)

What's Hot
ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
edited May 2018 in Guitar
This is probably a pretty well-known forum guitar to a few people around the parts, no doubt tribute to the skills of its maker @WezV, and the detailed build thread here.  I've been looking for a decent Les Paul for a while, and had noticed this pop up on a few threads, most recently the gold top thread, and it made the run of the mill Gibsons I'd been considering seem a little tame.

So when @merlin put this up for sale I knew I had to move fast.

It's always a bit of a fingers crossed moment buying sight unseen, and the thought that I would technically be its fourth owner in the last six months was a slight concern.  But the opportunity was too good to pass up, so after a minor transport hiccup it arrived in Northumberland over the weekend, and I've had a chance to give it a workout today.

Playing something like this enforces a certain kind of paradigm shift.  It's not just another example of a production guitar.  This is a completely unique instrument which deserves respect, and hopefully will justify long-term commitment by revealing its strengths over many years.  So these are my first thoughts...

It looks great, plays great, and sounds sublime.

Heh.  Nothing insightful there, then.  More detail, vicar?

The instrument totally works as a whole.  The impressive relic job is perhaps the most noticeable attribute at first sight.  But it's a completely necessary attribute for the instrument to make sense: this isn't a pristine factory-made instrument, you can tell that it's handmade - with utmost care and skill, but handmade nonetheless - so for it to be "pre-worn" makes total sense when you handle it and play it.  Wez is on record saying how the relic job actually changed how the guitar plays, for the better, and even though I never saw it pre-relic, that's totally believable.  It's loud and chimey unplugged, and bright, assertive and soulful plugged in.

I had no idea how it would sound before I bought it, so had to rely on hope that the Mojo P90s would do the job, and they do indeed.  All three positions are spectacular.

I haven't got any photos but there's loads in the build thread.  I did make a quick, basic video, so if anyone was wondering how it sounds, wonder no longer.

So may I say thanks to @merlin for being a top chap and a great transaction, and to @WezV for making such a wonderful instrument.  Long may such creations continue to come into being!
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5175
    Congratulations on grabbing a fantastic guitar.. I was so close to pulling the trigger myself...I still don’t know how I managed to resist.
    Enjoy... :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Nice acquisition!  Merlin knows his onions and packs guitars very well so you can always be confident what you see is what you're gonna get.

Sounds huge and looks awesome!  What you playing through?  Those P90's are ripping!  Might have to get some for my Yamaha SG.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6092
    I'd forgotten how great P90's sound. Congrats on a great guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    That sounds - and looks - fantastic. Lovely playing too....
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27137
    Lovely. I'm slowly coming around to the idea of P90 les pauls.

Has anyone dibs-ed the in-progress black one yet, @WezV..?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16736
    Ah, I’m glad you like it.  What I do is quite far from any production guitar. there is always a risk a new owner might not quite get that. 

I’m not giving out dibs... not till they are done
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6705
    edited May 2018
    .... Seller's remorse..... 

Glad you're enjoying it...  :s
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That’s so cool!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27137
    WezV said:
    Ah, I’m glad you like it.  What I do is quite far from any production guitar. there is always a risk a new owner might not quite get that. 

I’m not giving out dibs... not till they are done
    Bah! Totally understand though :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    That really is a special guitar :)
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    JezWynd said:
    I'd forgotten how great P90's sound. Congrats on a great guitar.
    That sounds - and looks - fantastic. Lovely playing too....
    Thanks guys.

WezV said:
    Yep, this is a different league of coolness compared to any of the decent stuff I've had in the past.  A great visionary expression of how history might have turned out.
    Arktik83 said:
    Nice acquisition!  Merlin knows his onions and packs guitars very well so you can always be confident what you see is what you're gonna get.

Sounds huge and looks awesome!  What you playing through?  Those P90's are ripping!  Might have to get some for my Yamaha SG.
    That's a Palmer Drei (also from this parish), which is a total game-changer amp for me.  The essence of tube sound with no frills.  Plus a bit of reverb from a Zoom MS50G and overdrive from a Danelectro Pastrami, would you believe?!

I did a bit more playing today with the amp properly mic'd up, so these two vids should sound a lot better.  Apologies for any gurning content.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4847
    Happy NGD! Sounds gorgeous and some reet tasty playing to boot. Great stuff!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.