Amp Suggestions (30w ish small head)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Victory V30 - seconded - I use the gain channel on mine and then model my cleans on the Helix - best of both worlds - V30 has a lot of gain tho so a Sherrif is also a good choice - not sure you'll get them s/h for £400 tho?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    delorean said:
    I tried the Victory V30 and V40 over the weekend and was blown away by them both.  That's the direction I'm going to be leaning towards now - thanks for all the suggestions! =)
    Did you try the Sherriff 22?
    I did, but wasn't quite as keen.  The V30 seemed to be a little more ballsy to my ears
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    A Dual Terror head would be enough for you I'd say. I had one and nearly always just used the 15W setting and it was loud enough.

An Orange CR120 would do the trick as well, a solid state.

Not sure if the Orange 15W would be loud enough. Doubtful with a loud drummer....

I see someone mentioned Jet City. Curious about these, especially the 20 Watts. They are dirt cheap. Too good to be true? The single channel Jet City 20H head seems like a steal!

They aren't too good to be true. A few models have some quirks with the FX Loops, but thanks to a vibrant modding community the fixes are well documented and easily available.

They are good quality and great sounding. Some think they sound better than the originals.
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    Vaiai said:
    Victory V30 - seconded - I use the gain channel on mine and then model my cleans on the Helix - best of both worlds - V30 has a lot of gain tho so a Sherrif is also a good choice - not sure you'll get them s/h for £400 tho?
    Yeah, I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm going to need to increase my budget a bit!!

The V30 seemed to have everything I'd need out of the box, although I'd like the cleans to maybe be slightly cleaner.

The V40 was fantastic, but needs a pedal to really push it.  Without one, it's a little too 'nice' for my purposes.  I tried it with a Tonecity Golden Plexi in the store and that really made it scream (in a good way!).

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1389
    A Dual Terror head would be enough for you I'd say. I had one and nearly always just used the 15W setting and it was loud enough.

An Orange CR120 would do the trick as well, a solid state.

Not sure if the Orange 15W would be loud enough. Doubtful with a loud drummer....

I see someone mentioned Jet City. Curious about these, especially the 20 Watts. They are dirt cheap. Too good to be true? The single channel Jet City 20H head seems like a steal!

They aren't too good to be true. A few models have some quirks with the FX Loops, but thanks to a vibrant modding community the fixes are well documented and easily available.

They are good quality and great sounding. Some think they sound better than the originals.
    Good to know. The 20HV has hardly any bells and whistles which is appealing. A tube pedal platform more or less. I came across one mod site, where, if you add up the mod packages, you'd be best off saving for a more expensive amp! :)
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 864
    edited May 2018
    I've had a tiny terror, dual terror and still have a jca20hv.

Never found the tiny terror loud enough in the 2 guitar band I was in - times may have changed!

Dual terror was much louder, couldnt get a clean sound and both channels are very similar. You either like it or you don't! Never bonded with mine.

The jet city has been with me for a couple of years now. Standard bar a power tube change. Gigs all kinds of music. Is it the best amp in the world? - probably not, but it's certainly good enough to keep me spending stupid money on a small friedman. An absolute steal at the price, and please don't think it's a cheap budget amp! I play mine on the edge of breakup with a drive pedal & boost. 

Only comment is it's def a size above lunchbox - I do keep looking at mesa ta15s and the new prs mt15 certainly looks tempting for the price - particularly as it runs 6l6s. Both are a lot smaller than the 20hv

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7342
    edited June 2018
    if you can find a Pignose GA40v then it will give you 40w 3x12ax7 2x6L6 and you can 4 and 8ohm out it to your cab. Benefit is compact and light and has a 10" speaker should you want to use it as a combo.

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--wwWpSk6w--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1475543976/prgrtix4fog3ro9ceth9.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I had a JCA 20H too - nice amp for £'s but wanted a 2 channels and usable fx loop - hence custom purchase .. 

Dont be mislead by 20w rating these things are loud n hold their own in a band lineup _ Ive gigged both JCA amps with no issue - I'm not a shy player :-)   ; worked well with a variety of cabs inc v30/cl80 loaded SFB ; marshall greenback 4x12 ; marshall 1922 gt75 loaded 2x12 n smaller 1x12's inc a nice boogie v30 1x12 ..