Confess your worst day at work - where you should have just stayed in bed

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12386
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oh FFS...  I should have known better than to ask....   That’s put me right off my taramasalata.
    Jam roly poly with cock custard
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1431

Probably not in the spirit of this thread but anyway.

I went for a few meetings in a company that I often worked with to do some general housekeeping of a project. I'd arrive at their reception and be met by someone who would take me to whichever room they'd chosen for that day. On this particular day I was met by a lovely old guy who I'd chatted with a number of times and he was telling me about his plans for retirement which was just a few months away. As we're walking down the corridor I noticed he wasn't responding to me - turned round to see him slumped up against the wall. The place was huge and my shouts down the cavernous corridor seemed to go unnoticed. I phoned an ambulance and started CPR which seemed to last for hours but was about 20-30 minutes. He was still alive when the paramedics arrived but died on arrival (probably in the ambulance). Stayed with me for months - family, friends, colleagues often caught me staring into space. It didn't seem to me that it had affected me that much, and if I was caught in a dream, I didn't think I was going over what had happened - rather just thinking about nothing, but it obviously did have some impact. Saddest thing seemed to be the image of, effectively, dying in a fairly staid place with a virtual stranger being the only one around. A lot of people were getting some pretty strong hugs after that.

0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24389
    ICBM said:
    Paul_C said:

That reminds me of a time as a motorbike mechanic - usually I was the third mechanic, mostly getting new and s/h bikes ready for sale, but for one week I ended up the only one there, with one day in particular sticking in my mind as I had one job in progress when the boss told me to leave it and get another one done and then his son telling me to leave that and do a rush job - all of which resulted in one guy leaving on a bike which hadn't had its rear axle nut tightened correctly :o

Fortunately it didn't cause an accident, but when I was bollocked for my failing I gave as good as I got and nothing more was said.
    Someone I know had her car serviced at a main dealer. When she was nearly home - probably about six or seven miles away - one of the rear wheels fell off. (Doing substantial damage to the car, as you would expect.) When the AA man came to recover the car, he pointed out that there was one bent and stripped wheel bolt near where the wheel had come off, and the other four were nowhere to be found. Presumably the garage had failed to tighten them, and they were scattered at intervals somewhere along the road...
    That happened to my dad, back in the day when cars had hubcaps (luckily).  He could hear the nuts rattling around inside the hubcaps and stopped.  Some choice words were had with the garage manager!

Another tale involving my dad;  When we lived in London, our house’s garden backed on to a large Daimler dealership on the parallel road.  My dad was a keen golfer and one day he was practicing his swing in the garden when somehow, he lost his grip at the end of the swing and his driver shot up into the air.  What goes up.....   and so it did... straight through the glass roof of the Daimler garage!

My dad went around there with the intention of paying for the glass and to recover his best #1 Wood.  However, when he walked in he saw a very expensive Daimler sprinkled with broken glass and a very expensive looking dent in the middle of the roof!  He decided it was probably cheaper to buy a new golf club and quietly made his escape !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11616
    tFB Trader
    Yes - puts it in perspective that all of us have a bad day now and then .......and for some it ends more dramatically than others

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    My worst day at work.
    I am member an elite United States Army Special Forces unit, and was awarded a Medal of Honour for my service in the Vietnam War.
    I would be searching for my friend, and would soon learn that he has died from cancer due to Agent Orange exposure.
    I would soon be spotted by the town's sheriff, Will Teasle, who quickly drives me out of town.
    I head back into town immediately, to Teasle's dismay, who arrests me.
    I am generally non-compliant with the officers at the station, and was beaten and harassed by a man named Art Galt which causes me to have flashbacks of my experiences during the Vietnam war- this causes me to snap.
    I fight my way out of the station, steal a motorcycle and I am pursued off-road into the nearby mountains. 
    The deputies are eventually forced to search for me on foot, and I climb down onto a steep cliff to elude capture. 
    Galt, who has spotted me from a helicopter, attempts to shoot me. 
    I drop into a mass of trees, and cornered, throw a rock at the helicopter. 
    The helicopter pitches and Galt, the passenger, falls to his death. 
    Teasle, who did not see Galt's attempt to kill me, vows to avenge his friend's death.
    Teasle leads his deputies into the woods in an attempt to capture me. 
    The deputies are inexperienced and bicker, particularly after learning over the radio about my combat experience and status as a war hero. 
    I quickly disable the small, disorganized team using guerrilla tactics and booby traps, severely wounding- but not killing- the deputies. 
    In the chaos, I isolate and confront Teasle with a knife to the throat. 
    Teasle refuses to give in.
    I am eventually cornered in a mine entrance. 
    The inexperienced guardsmen fire a rocket launcher at me, collapsing the mine, and assume I am dead. 
    I have escaped into the tunnels of the mine with an improvised torch, fighting off rats. 
    I eventually find an exit, near a main road and hijack a passing Army truck and return to town, crashing it into a gas station, which effectively blocks the highway to anyone in pursuit. 
    Now armed with a machine gun, I effortlessly destroy a surplus store and a sporting goods shop before making my way to the police station, where Teasle awaits on the roof.
    I, now surrounded by the police, rage about the horrors of war, and the difficulties I have faced adapting to civilian life. 
    I weep as I recount a particularly gruesome story about witnessing a friend's death. 
    I then turn myself in and get arrested.
    I'd like to say this will be an isolated event but actually I will go on to display similar behaviour on four more occasions.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11616
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    My worst day at work.
    I am member an elite United States Army Special Forces unit, and was awarded a Medal of Honour for my service in the Vietnam War.
    I would be searching for my friend, and would soon learn that he has died from cancer due to Agent Orange exposure.
    I would soon be spotted by the town's sheriff, Will Teasle, who quickly drives me out of town.
    I head back into town immediately, to Teasle's dismay, who arrests me.
    I am generally non-compliant with the officers at the station, and was beaten and harassed by a man named Art Galt which causes me to have flashbacks of my experiences during the Vietnam war- this causes me to snap.
    I fight my way out of the station, steal a motorcycle and I am pursued off-road into the nearby mountains. 
    The deputies are eventually forced to search for me on foot, and I climb down onto a steep cliff to elude capture. 
    Galt, who has spotted me from a helicopter, attempts to shoot me. 
    I drop into a mass of trees, and cornered, throw a rock at the helicopter. 
    The helicopter pitches and Galt, the passenger, falls to his death. 
    Teasle, who did not see Galt's attempt to kill me, vows to avenge his friend's death.
    Teasle leads his deputies into the woods in an attempt to capture me. 
    The deputies are inexperienced and bicker, particularly after learning over the radio about my combat experience and status as a war hero. 
    I quickly disable the small, disorganized team using guerrilla tactics and booby traps, severely wounding- but not killing- the deputies. 
    In the chaos, I isolate and confront Teasle with a knife to the throat. 
    Teasle refuses to give in.
    I am eventually cornered in a mine entrance. 
    The inexperienced guardsmen fire a rocket launcher at me, collapsing the mine, and assume I am dead. 
    I have escaped into the tunnels of the mine with an improvised torch, fighting off rats. 
    I eventually find an exit, near a main road and hijack a passing Army truck and return to town, crashing it into a gas station, which effectively blocks the highway to anyone in pursuit. 
    Now armed with a machine gun, I effortlessly destroy a surplus store and a sporting goods shop before making my way to the police station, where Teasle awaits on the roof.
    I, now surrounded by the police, rage about the horrors of war, and the difficulties I have faced adapting to civilian life. 
    I weep as I recount a particularly gruesome story about witnessing a friend's death. 
    I then turn myself in and get arrested.
    I'd like to say this will be an isolated event but actually I will go on to display similar behaviour on four more occasions.
    Did they draw first blood?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3056
    Had many bad days as a gardener. Every time involves rain.

Worst time was trying to transplant a whole beech hedge in one day. The soil wasn't soil as such, more like thick heavy clay.

It rained from 6am right through to the next morning that time. I was soaking wet, my arms and shoulders hurt so bad from the heavy digging that I couldn't lift my arms for 2 days and was covered in dirt.

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    ICBM said:
    Paul_C said:

That reminds me of a time as a motorbike mechanic - usually I was the third mechanic, mostly getting new and s/h bikes ready for sale, but for one week I ended up the only one there, with one day in particular sticking in my mind as I had one job in progress when the boss told me to leave it and get another one done and then his son telling me to leave that and do a rush job - all of which resulted in one guy leaving on a bike which hadn't had its rear axle nut tightened correctly :o

Fortunately it didn't cause an accident, but when I was bollocked for my failing I gave as good as I got and nothing more was said.
    Someone I know had her car serviced at a main dealer. When she was nearly home - probably about six or seven miles away - one of the rear wheels fell off. (Doing substantial damage to the car, as you would expect.) When the AA man came to recover the car, he pointed out that there was one bent and stripped wheel bolt near where the wheel had come off, and the other four were nowhere to be found. Presumably the garage had failed to tighten them, and they were scattered at intervals somewhere along the road...

Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago, but not as bad. 

I took my car to be serviced at a main dealer, and everything was ok except for a slow puncture in the rear tyre that was repaired and they did an oil change.

Just two weeks later I'm driving down the road and my front left tyre explodes, it turns out the tread on both front tyres was below the legal limit and there was damage to the side of the left tyre and that was where there was now a massive hole in it. 

• SeshSesh Frets: 1847
    edited June 2018
    Reminds me of a time when we had just fought our way through Dublin having caught the ferry over. A wheel came rolling down the white line in the middle of the road towards us. Luckily it didn't hit us. A few seconds later a car drove past on three wheels. Apart from it being a bit wobbly it wasn't immediately obvious it was down a wheel. I'm not even sure the driver had noticed by this point. It was a truly surreal moment that felt like it could have come from a sit-com.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Sesh said:
    Reminds me of a time when we had just fought our way through Dublin having caught the ferry over. A wheel came rolling down the white line in the middle of the road towards us. Luckily it didn't hit us. A few seconds later a car drove past on three wheels. Apart from it being a bit wobbly it wasn't immediately obvious it was down a wheel. I'm not even sure the driver had noticed by this point. It was a truly surreal moment that felt like it could have come from a sit-com.
    Was it a Citroën? Their self-levelling hydraulic-suspension models can be driven with one rear wheel missing!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/90/be/b9/90beb939f052c20e386d094b1236eff1.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SeshSesh Frets: 1847
    ICBM said:
    Sesh said:
    Was it a Citroën? Their self-levelling hydraulic-suspension models can be driven with one rear wheel missing!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/90/be/b9/90beb939f052c20e386d094b1236eff1.jpg
    Don't think so. It was 25+ years ago and we'd been travelling for what must have been 14 or so hours by that point but I recall it being boxier. The state of some cars over there at the time doesn't rule out the possibility that the wheel wasn't from the 3 wheeled car.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.