DIY/Home Improvement disasters- share your pain

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    I did pretty much the same thing yesterday: managed to use a chainsaw, reciprocating saw, heavy duty loppers (would probably take your arm off never mind your finger), sledgehammer and a drill all without injury but managed to slice my finger on an onion chopper.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Buy more paint than you think you need...

You can always take unopened tins back to the shop for a refund.

I was supposed to be painting all night into the early hours (so we had a free day tomorrow)  - had to give up about midnight when I ran out of paint.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    strtdv said:
    I did pretty much the same thing yesterday: managed to use a chainsaw, reciprocating saw, heavy duty loppers (would probably take your arm off never mind your finger), sledgehammer and a drill all without injury but managed to slice my finger on an onion chopper.
    We can still bask in the glory knowing that, whatever white goods or utensils we injure ourselves with, we did a better job than the idiot who ‘mended’ things for the woman we bought our last house from.

Double socket in lounge with intermittent connection.  I pulled off the socket face and shuddered. The twin and earth didn’t come far enough down the wall cavity so it’d been extended with what looked like lamp flex and some spare for the earth. No connectors, just twisted and taped. Pattress box held in (barely) with two different screws and sorry-looking wooden rawlplugs. 

So muggins here had to chase out a new recess in the blockwork 100mm higher up the wall, install a new pattress box, mortar the old hole and install a new socket on the end of the twin and earth. Five minute job turned into three-day epic. If I’d have got my hands on him etc.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Just put a new light in the bathroom and got plaster dust in my hair. Nightmare 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916

Not a disaster as such, but I was totally flummoxed by trying to install a landing light that I could switch on or off from either the hall or the landing - I could get it to work from one end, or the other end, but not from both.

Bloody frustrating 2 days that was.  :p