Vertex Boost issues

What's Hot
randersonranderson Frets: 187
I have a query re. this Vertex Boost pedal. I've just this week actually started using it and although it works fine as a boost, as soon as I plug in a volume pedal with a TRS cable nothing works i.e. no volume.

Tried two different TRS cables and pedal works fine in the chain just kills signal when plugged into the EXP out. It is a Boss FV300L and I've tried both inputs of the pedal. Any help out there pls?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randersonranderson Frets: 187
    OK so I've established that I require an 'insert' TRS (a 'Y' cable) rather than a standard one with my particular volume pedal. Just if anyone else is interested..
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Threads about vertex usually come with angry mobs and pitchforks
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Tell me about it. I posted the same question at another forum and you should see the results. In short don't buy Vertex..
    randerson said:
    Tell me about it. I posted the same question at another forum and you should see the results. In short don't buy Vertex..
    The Gear page by any chance?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    randerson said:
    The Gear page by any chance?
    The one and only..
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907

...and rightly so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

...and rightly so.
    that train is never late
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    You don't even have to buy Vertex - I did the Vertex mod on my volume pedal and you would have thought I'd killed my first born from the reaction I got!
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9557
    Gadget said:
    You don't even have to buy Vertex - I did the Vertex mod on my volume pedal and you would have thought I'd killed my first born from the reaction I got!
    And rightly so...

Outrageous con man liar of a pedal supplier. YMMV
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Gadget said:
    And rightly so...

Outrageous con man liar of a pedal supplier. YMMV
    This.  Total xxxx.  Why he's not doing time is a mystery.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4840
    edited June 2018
    Compared to some of the other FX making cretins who ripped folk off and never properly came clean, or tried to square things up in the end. He at least confessed and then offered refunds or full trade in values for other pedals for all those that he blatantly lied to and mislead. Anyone who bought a Vertex product that wasn't what it purported to be was able to take advantage of that. For that reason I personally think he messed up (massively and I don't condone what he did either), but deserves a second chance.

His confession about things snowballing and being left in a difficult position made sense, although he made the wrong choices at the time for sure. He seems to have been honest since and learnt his lesson, I have no desire to buy any of his pedals in particular at the moment. However I wouldn't be put off either, having looked at his new stuff he isn't pulling the same tricks anymore. He is certainly better than the likes of TMG guitars, Freekish Blooz, the whole Clay Jones Goose, Middleman, Gomer Pyle thing etc. etc.. 

Obviously YMMV and everyone is entitled to their personal choice on the matter, I just feel less inclined to raise my pitchfork to him compared to the others.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Boromedic said:
    Compared to some of the other FX making cretins who ripped folk off and never properly came clean, or tried to square things up in the end. He at least confessed and then offered refunds or full trade in values for other pedals for all those that he blatantly lied to and mislead. Anyone who bought a Vertex product that wasn't what it purported to be was able to take advantage of that. For that reason I personally think he messed up (massively and I don't condone what he did either), but deserves a second chance.

His confession about things snowballing and being left in a difficult position made sense, although he made the wrong choices at the time for sure. He seems to have been honest since and learnt his lesson, I have no desire to buy any of his pedals in particular at the moment. However I wouldn't be put off either, having looked at his new stuff he isn't pulling the same tricks anymore. He is certainly better than the likes of TMG guitars, Freekish Blooz, the whole Clay Jones Goose, Middleman, Gomer Pyle thing etc. etc.. 

Obviously YMMV and everyone is entitled to their personal choice on the matter, I just feel less inclined to raise my pitchfork to him compared to the others.
    With respect, he had a second chance.... and did it again
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
    He only "confessed" when he was literally unable to lie, cheat, and bully any more.

And, as Waz says, it's not like this was a one off. He's had about fifteen chances and blew them all. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6719
    Yeah he is on about chance #48 now. Fraudster of the highest order.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    edited June 2018
    What was his second chance @Wazmeister ? I just remember the cables, wah's and the volume pedals. Plus the board building stuff, like the one he claims he built but was Bradshaw or some other big maker and Joe B's board. They were all around the same time though just prior to his confession, for want of a better word. What's he done since? I rarely frequent TGP these days as it all got a bit silly. 

edited June 2018
    Oh dear, don't worry about any further info as I went down the rabbit hole again on TGP......

I shall firmly retract what I said above, I does appear that he is pulling similar misleading marketing and dodgy stuff like that again, dropping pro names every 2 seconds. (although I couldn't find any gut shots or schematics showing rebadging pedals again, although the Dynamic Distortion thing looks like it might be just a tweaked SD9, and the Dumple pedal is another clone). Why don't people learn.

I was really rooting for that kid!! Lol, thought he might redeem himself but it appears he cannot help being the way he is.

Plenty of comments from @Ro_S in them threads actually... Jeez he was an angry, argumentative fella.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Boromedic - I get it mate, and I don’t like making a stand against things... 

But the Vertex behaviour is well documented and unacceptable imho.

Still, onward and upwards :)
    edited June 2018
    Yep onwards and upwards indeed, I'd been out of the Vertex (Boost!) loop for a while and didn't realise he had carried on similar behaviour. Optimism always seems to be snuffed out by human nature.....

P.s. Sorry OP for derailing your thread.

edited June 2018
    Boromedic said:
    Yep onwards and upwards indeed, I'd been out of the Vertex (Boost!) loop for a while and didn't realise he had carried on similar behaviour. Optimism always seems to be snuffed out by human nature.....

P.s. Sorry OP for derailing your thread.
    No, no worries at all. I was aware of all this history before I opted for the Boost but thought he'd turned a new leaf.

In scouring the web for the answer to my original question I've instead come across the disappointing reality that the Vertex Boost a) doesn't isolate the volume pedal and b) isn't transparent, both of which were claimed  by the manufacturer here:

and were the only two reasons I bought the thing..