Bank transfers

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15991

I am on the verge of buying a CS Tele from the very lovely doctorfunk http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/profile/10227/Doctorfunk

As he does not have many frets or visits here I am somewhat reluctant to go for PP gift for the obvious reasons

but how does a bank transfer as an alternative work out.....any costs there for me and how does that go down should the guitar arrive in  pieces?

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    No difference - once a bank transfer has been made you can't get your money back.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8020
    If you’re unsure, cash on collection.  Bring a bouncer ;)
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15991

So how do I cover my ass should things go tits up......insist that he organises / pays for adequate insurance at his end?

and in the event of a catastrophe he deals with any claims...is that how it works?

tae be or not tae be
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    If in doubt don't buy it. There's always an element of trust in buying anything. If the seller is shipping the item you would expect them to pay for reasonable insurance should the item be damaged. If you want total protection buy a guitar from a shop like Andertons ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    edited May 2018
    Pay with goods and services PayPal, if it doesn’t arrive or is damaged in shipping make a claim on PayPal. Don’t use friends and family PayPal. Don’t use a bank transfer - although you can reverse a Faster Payment within 1-2 days of the payment in some circumstances.

As a seller I dislike PayPal as it gives the buyers almost absolute power to frivolously claim their money back; as a buyer I want to use PayPal or CC to make sure I have protection in the event of a problem.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16158
    Or........as you have a good record/history on here put the onus on him ;He can do his diligence.
    He sends guitar ....you execute transfer as soon as received
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richcolrichcol Frets: 12
    As mentioned above, if you are going to the PayPal route only use PayPal Goods and Services. You can offer to pay the associated fees. 
    Their buyer protection is really good.
    Using PPG gives you zero protection and it's not intended for this type of transaction.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    Also don't forget that if the seller organises the delivery then it's the seller that has the contract with the courier, not you. So if it does go paws up, it's the seller that needs to drive any claim etc.

Obviously most of the time it's all fine, but it's worth bearing in mind for those times when it's not.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1967
    I met @Doctorfunk last weekend. He bought my Musicman Silhouette Special. He didn't strike me as being of dubious character, we exchanged phone numbers and spoke a few times before the deal was concluded. I'd certainly do business with him again. 
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
    Dominic said:
    Or........as you have a good record/history on here put the onus on him ;He can do his diligence.
    Not sure why you’ve been ‘LOL’d’ when this is a perfectly reasonable suggestion..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16158
    No, nor I .......probably uncommercial scared -of own shadow people who haven't taken a risk for thruppence or spent a penny in anger in their whole life
    If somebody has a good feedback and longstanding membership with no issues and you check their address and name against the electoral roll and it tallies with the given delivery address I don't see the issue.
    The lol people are the same "small picture "people that write questions like ;
    "Is it safe to send £30 Mooer pedal in post ?"
    "Is it safe to buy guitar from France ?"
    Try and Get out More !
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1314
    Dominic said:
    "What guitar?"
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1307
    edited May 2018
    Ask if someone who lives closer to the seller and with a longer history and more frets on here can take a PP or bank transfer from you and collect and ship the guitar. Seen it done few times.
    I'm not comfortable with transfers myself unless buyer offers to pay that way, cheeky init ;)
    edited May 2018

guitar due Friday ....everything looks cool

Thanks guys  :)

tae be or not tae be
    edited June 2018

amendment

Guitar arrived today from the good Doctor (David)

Parcel force.....well wrapped.....killer guitar (CS 52 2016)...fair price.......unused condition

would recommend should his name come up again

Thanks guys

tae be or not tae be
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4931

Hoots - if you ask TTony and/or Roland nicely here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/63710/requests-for-a-new-feedback-thread/p23 - they will create a feedback page for him, so you can be the first to write on it.   :)