Dad died today...

What's Hot
p90foolp90fool Frets: 31663
...so apologies for some recent grouchiness, deleted posts etc.

I had a call from my stepmum at 2 this morning, so drove the 70 odd miles to Bridgend to say goodbye. He was lucid despite being in pain, but I'm so glad I got there in time to be told to "finish building that bloody shed". 

I feel awkward about posting it on social media where people actually know me, it would feel embarrassing and indiscreet, but wanted to tell someone and you guys are kind of like anonymous friends.  

Feel free not to comment, seriously. I'm not sympathy farming, just wanted to kind of let it out somehow, thanks. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Have some sympathy anyway .. must have been a tough day. Accept my condolences ..

And finish that shed ... make him proud.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5186
    Sad News...Good to share these things...I want to see pics of the finished shed by September..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    edited May 2018
    Flippin' heck, tough one.  Good that you got to say goodbye. 
    It's funny how people we've lost still show up though -- nothing supernatural -- but just the other day I was having a discussion about pigeons (as you do) and expressed an opinion which caused me to pause...
    I have no opinions about pigeons whatsoever.  None.
    But my dad did.  And he died in 1979.
    It made me smile to hear his "voice" live on, popping up unexpectedly like that.
    I'm sure you'll notice your dad living on too.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14573
    Anger is an energy. Let some of it out on "that bloody shed".
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15991
    Thinking of you p90
    tae be or not tae be
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    my thoughts are with you fella. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Fretwired said:
    Have some sympathy anyway .. must have been a tough day. Accept my condolences ..

And finish that shed ... make him proud.
    ^ This ^ - even though it's 19 years since I lost my dad, it still hurts. All the best.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2092
    You got there dude...thats what counts...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    spark240 said:
    You got there dude...thats what counts...
    This.  

Condolences.  My parents are both over 70 now starting to think about this stuff.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6167
    edited May 2018
    So sorry to hear that man. My dad passed away three years ago and it was a hard blow. I too had to travel a long way to say goodbye to him. He was a stubborn old bugger but I miss him dearly.  Remember the good times and do as your dad said.
    My deepest condolences to you mate and just rant on here if you feel like it cos the community on here is incredibly supportive.

Strangely enough.. I finally built my shed five months after losing my dad, perhaps it's a man thing
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Look after yourself as best you can.

Would you like to buy a gallon of creosote...? best before date Aug 1979...I reckon it'll be alright though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15622
    gutted to hear that, but I smiled at the "finish that shed" line, great way to remember him.
    I never had a last minute with my dad, and while it's a huge weight for me to know he didn't suffer when he died, that last word would've meant the world to me.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27233
    Well that puts my shit day very much into perspective. 

I dont don’t know what to say beyond I’m sorry, and I’m sure all of us can accept any amount of grumping and venting as needed. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    Sorry for your loss mate.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 922
    Very sorry to hear that. Glad you got to have a proper moment with him. Bit of humour and fatherly pressure from your dad at the end shows real strength of character, and a touch of class. All the best. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3346
    It’s a tough time but at least you got to be there. My sympathies. It was my own Dad who called me nearly two years ago to ask me to go, that was a tough phone call to get and I’m sure yours was no easier. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33846
    My condolences mate.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72646
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

My parents are both 80 this year (dad already, mum later) and I know this is something I will be facing before very long.

And finish the shed :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 885
    My dad died on April 6th and we buried him on May 14th. He's the first person close to me who has died so it was a new experience for me. I was lucky in that his decline was fairly slow since 2014 so I had plenty of time with him. He really suffered in his last two weeks so I suppose it was something of a merciful release.  But you do spend a lot of time pondering about the meaning of everything.  I did the best I could to help him in his old age. In the time before the funeral I got quite bound up in the arrangements for the funeral. It was as we walked away from the grave, having completed all the practical arrangements that I started to really cry and my cousin's two sons gave me a hug and then stood with their backs to me to give me some privacy from the other mourners that I felt most grateful for the support of my family.

One thing I have learned from all this is how grateful I was for the personal messages of sympathy that people wrote in their cards.  I will remember that the next time I write a sympathy card for someone  

@p90fool - I do hope you enjoy as many happy memories of your dad as I do of mine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Pics of the shed when it's done mate

Think of it and smile.  Like others have said, I'm glad you got there