Drive / boost balancing act with jcm800’s tried something different .

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
for years now I’ve been using a tube screamer to boost the front end of jcm800’s. Worked for me, sounded good but no headroom left for a solo boost .

tonight I tried turning the preamp gain on the amp to half and running a ts808 with drive and level half up for a little dirt at around unity gain .

worked well, I think I’m gonna try this at some gigs next week.

anyone else doing this ?! Anyone recommend some good pedals to use or is an 808 as good as anything ?!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I’ve managed to get a good volume boost stacking a drive pedal with the level backed off a small amount into a nice clean boost like a JRad Archer or Soul Food. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Boss SD-1. Like the 808, but betterer and cheaperer .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    ICBM said:
    Boss SD-1. Like the 808, but betterer and cheaperer .
    I have one somewhere , I’ll try it !!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    If you've got an 808 and an SD1 you've pretty much got the ground covered.  You'll prefer one or the other - and a lot of other boost pedal circuits are often slightly tweaked versions (usually of the Tube Screamer) so you can essentially skip them unless you want a really specific small difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Don't forget you can adjust volume on guitar too
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited June 2018
    try a decent graphic n stack with od of choice ... it can boost , kick the od harder  but also by a change of eq curve give more cut in mix even if available headroom is compromised. 
    I presume  your jcm is a non fx loop model  ? 
    JMP220478 said:
    try a decent graphic n stack with od of choice ... it can boost , kick the od harder  but also by a change of eq curve give more cut in mix even if available headroom is compromised. 
    Yep, its an 88 2204 so no FX loop. I've got a ts808 whioch will be on all the time, a boss ge7 and a wah .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    If you’re running the 808 all the time, it might be worth trying a DS-1 too - they stack really well. I would put it after the 808 (or SD-1) and before the GE-7.

That will give you a huge amount of flexibility for combinations of extra dirt and boost as long as the amp isn’t too far into overdrive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

JMP220478 said:
    Yep, its an 88 2204 so no FX loop. I've got a ts808 whioch will be on all the time, a boss ge7 and a wah .
    is guitar always on 10?
    edited June 2018
    JMP220478 said:
    JMP220478 said:
    is guitar always on 10?
    Yes, all men play on 10, never gonna turn it down again!! (sorry, couldn;t resist it!!)
    JMP220478 said:
    JMP220478 said:
    is guitar always on 10?
    Yes, all men play on 10, never gonna turn it down again!! (sorry, couldn;t resist it!!)
    surely 11 is where its at ... :-)
    JMP220478 said:
    JMP220478 said:
    JMP220478 said:
    is guitar always on 10?
    surely 11 is where its at ... :-)
    I actually have that 11 volume knob tattooed on ..!!