How do I get Andy Wood's lead tone

What's Hot
sjo89sjo89 Frets: 183
I want this tone badly!:    especially in his solo half way through.

Purely from a pedal point of view how do I get close to this? thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Tele with moderate to high output pickups, high gain amp and a lot of practice.
    He seems to switch from the neck to the bridge pickup about half way through the solo.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sjo89sjo89 Frets: 183
    octatonic said:
    He seems to switch from the neck to the bridge pickup about half way through the solo.
    exactly the reply i wasnt after
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    sjo89 said:
    octatonic said:
    exactly the reply i wasnt after
    Yeah, sorry but it is the truth. :)

You might find this useful:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 340
    Lately he’s been using a wampler pinnacle 
    ahhh i was hoping he was all tone city! good tone costs then! cheers
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The truth is he sounds pretty much the same no matter what he uses.
    It is gain + work.
    octatonic said:
    It is gain + work.
    please...stop with the 'wise words', I don't need patronising. If I gave him a les paul and had him plug into a £50 Yamaha 1x8 with no pedals would he 'sound the same'? His TONE is what I'm looking for.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    sjo89 said:
    octatonic said:
    It is gain + work.
    please...stop with the 'wise words', I don't need patronising. If I gave him a les paul and had him plug into a £50 Yamaha 1x8 with no pedals would he 'sound the same'? His TONE is what I'm looking for.
    I'm not patronising you- it is the truth- a high gain amp, and a Tele will get you there.
    He has sounded pretty much the same across his releases for his high gain sound.
    He's used either Wampler or Suhr pedals and he's mostly used Suhr amps.

To your point, no he wouldn't sound the same with a Yamaha 1x8, but most professional high gain amps (Bogner, CAA, Suhr, Mesa etc) are capable of that sound.
    A bit of a TS circuit pedal on the front end and switch between the neck pickup at the start of the solo and then the bridge pickup for the last half.
    That is it.

In the video I posted he talks about his various rigs from a few years ago.
    He has a fly rig, a rack rig (and one other, I think)- they have similar but not exactly the same pedals.

It isn't the minutiae of the gear choices that gets that tone- it is mostly down to work.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3471
    edited June 2018
    He's using Suhr Bella amps (by the looks of the backline) and a his signature Suhr guitar. There's not much else going on, mate. Take this man's wise words and go practice. Or go spooge a lot of money on the aforementioned and if you don't get the tone, don't ask us why.

EDIT: If you really want a pedal...it looks like he has a Suhr Eclipse in this video - can pretty much guarantee he'll have a bit of Suhr on his board.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    In my experience of tone chasing it's a bit of a rabbit hole, you can spend all the money you like but you'll never sound like the artist you're trying to emulate. Why not find your own sound and play his stuff, you may be pleasantly surprised.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    He has used the Suhr Shiba drive in the past, which is basically Suhr's take on a Tubescreamer.  He doesn't use as much gain as you think, he has a very solid, accurate attack.  I can hear that mid range honk in his sound.  You could try the Suhr Shiba boosted by the Suhr Koko.