players who refer to their instruments as 'she', 'my baby', etc, in a way that makes you wonder...

What's Hot
valevale Frets: 1052
... if they have inappropriate feelings towards them?

sometimes i think it's funny, sometimes i think it's just an appreciation thing, but other times i really do feel a bit concerned (& even uncomfortable, if they are really laying it on heavily).

certainly not having a dig at anyone here who does it. i don't know anyone here personally & it's impossible to work out how sincere or intense feelings are from random posts.

but it's something i notice in youtube reviews on occasion, and definitely something i have come across in real life.

going to be harsh & tongue in cheek for caricature effect, but;

when the worst case men do it ('my baby, my little lady, my angel') it makes me feel as if they didn't have enough cash for a mail order bride, so bought an LP instead.

& when worst case women do it ('my baby' usually) it reminds me of women without children who dress their toy dogs in babies clothing.

there's pathos & tragedy & a sort of 'lost-soul' thing in there too, which makes me not want to be too c*nty about it. loneliness & childlessness can hit people hard & everyone is entitled to have their feelings respected.

but on another level, it can come across as funny & weird (you probably know what i mean), & maybe it's possible to discuss shared experiences of that side of it without hating down on people.

anyway. it's strange.

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader

Sometimes theres good reasons for it... :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    First day I got my Strat I referred to it as "she" and it went "did you just assume my gender?!"

I must have got one of those right-on feminist types
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4784
    A subset of those people seem to be the ones who write those dreadful product "reviews" (click bait for ads, really, I guess) and only tell you what you could read for yourself on the manufacturers website, followed by personal opinion clearly not based on real world use. 

It's almost as if they think that's how they ought to talk about their instrument rather than their natural inclination. 

Dunno their reasons, though, I've never felt that way myself, so I'm just guessing, but people do this for all sorts of things - cars, motorcycles. 

Although we do name houseplants in our house. 
    Robert (Plant)
    Jimmy (the second plant, obviously had to be in the same band, eh?)
    Al (a prayer plant, the Rev. Al Green)
    Carl (a palm plant)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    I often refer to mine as “ya bastaaad”, usually when re stringing.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4784
    SimonC said:
    I didn't know you had a Rick 12 string....  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11766
    Why do you think they are called "f holes"?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Seriously, it’s well weird!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Damn.. ‘my baby, my lil lady, my angel’ sounds like shaggy lyrics!! 

i imagine the people that call their guitars stuff like that are also married to walls, or sticking their knobs in tail pipes or summat. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4926
    Same with cars - people refer to my bass or car as "she" and I'm, thinking - huh?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    SimonC said:
    so you have a Bigsby then?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    We had a drippy Neighbour when I was a kid who had an Austin Princess which he proudly called Norman and friend's mother who had a Morris Minor called Doris ( she used to run knitting classes for the W.I. )
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I find the people who worry about it just as weird as the people who do it.  This thread pops up all the time and the same points get made over and over again - admittedly the mail order bride is a new one on me.  
      In another 3 or 4 posts someone will start bitching about the guys who call their guitar an axe which leads onto playing like butter comments.  
      Seriously guys who find people who name inanimate objects weird are just plain weird and spend way too much time worrying about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    All mine are refered to as what they are. I.e. my Strat or my Charvel etc. Except one. A 1987 Gibson Junior. It's drab and ugly so I call it Betty. As in Ugly Betty. Fab guitar though. But yes,calling your your guitar/cat/motorcyle/or whatever 'she' or 'baby' is weird.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2637
    To be fair, a cat may well be (and often is) a 'she'. Not a baby, though. 

The one that weirds me out is when a dog's owners are referred to (or, worse, refer to themselves) as its parents. You're not that chihuahua's dad, you're its owner. Though now you come to mention it I can see the family resemblance.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4926
    Adam_MD said:
    I find the people who worry about it just as weird as the people who do it.  This thread pops up all the time and the same points get made over and over again - admittedly the mail order bride is a new one on me.  
      In another 3 or 4 posts someone will start bitching about the guys who call their guitar an axe which leads onto playing like butter comments.  
      Seriously guys who find people who name inanimate objects weird are just plain weird and spend way too much time worrying about it.
    That post is plain weird!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5631
    I remember when growing up, my dad and my uncle were slowly renovating a Jaguar XJ6 (it never did get finished) and I'd hang around and help or just watch.  I recall feeling very uncomfortable whenever they'd refer to it (or any other car) as "she".  It was a very definite WTF moment in my youth.

I seem to have a very peculiar thinking pattern, my mind can't just accept something at face value, so as an 8 year old hearing an inanimate object assigned a gender within nanoseconds I'm thinking, "why are they all female?  Where are the male cars?  If they're all female how do they procreate?"

Probably a good job I'm not French!

I still feel uncomfortable today if anyone in any way anthropomorphises an inanimate object; I find it a bit weird.  The questions my mind came up with watching Disney's Cars was unbelievable!!!!

So, no, I can't assign a gender to a guitar, nor a name, nor think of it as my "baby".

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    I admittedly do name guitars i have gelled with by name, however i would not go so far as to assign a gender or call it baby... that is a step too far into weirdness ;) 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited June 2018

• valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    Haych said:
    I remember when growing up, my dad and my uncle were slowly renovating a Jaguar XJ6 (it never did get finished) and I'd hang around and help or just watch.  I recall feeling very uncomfortable whenever they'd refer to it (or any other car) as "she".  It was a very definite WTF moment in my youth.

I seem to have a very peculiar thinking pattern, my mind can't just accept something at face value, so as an 8 year old hearing an inanimate object assigned a gender within nanoseconds I'm thinking, "why are they all female?  Where are the male cars?  If they're all female how do they procreate?"

Probably a good job I'm not French!

I still feel uncomfortable today if anyone in any way anthropomorphises an inanimate object; I find it a bit weird.  The questions my mind came up with watching Disney's Cars was unbelievable!!!!

So, no, I can't assign a gender to a guitar, nor a name, nor think of it as my "baby".
    it's a strange one that sometimes i think i'm above & then sometimes i realise i'm in. so i suppose this thread was just to prjoect my anxieties outwards as a question.

on one hand it's always easy & tempting to cast people who do it heavy handedly as something suitable for a channel 4 or louis theroux documentary. comically or creepily awkward.

but then today i logged in and scanned the guitar threads and noticed 'the anxiety of having to hand your guitar over for a refret' thread, and i will freely admit that i got a mad rush of pent up maternal feeling, and visions of myself like cathy in 'cathy come home'... being chased through the rainy streets at night with my guitar wrapped in a sheet, pursued by well-meaning luthiers dressed as social workers.

so it's one of those 'hahaha, i'm so superior... oh hang on, actually that's me' situations.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    I've got no problem with giving things names, Mack the knife, Barry the hatchet etc, but the she/baby thing is a bit weird. It just suggests the relationship between owner and object has gone too far. Cringy.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom