Friedman Runt 20 v Victory Sheriff 22 v Morgan MVP23 v Jackson Ampworks El Guapo v Bogner Telos?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    CHrisP86 said:
    I decided that the Bogner was just too much to commit to at the moment so I’ve gone for the Runt. Probably would have tried the El Guapo but it didn’t seem to be available on finance. Runt should be here tomorrow! 
    I’ll be interested to hear what it’s like !  Are you gonna be gigging it ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Yes, I would be gigging it. Just at the local pubs so nothing too exciting and haven’t got any lined up until December so won’t be able to feedback for a while. 

It’s going to have to be very good to stop my itch for that Bogner though!  :)
  • sratosrato Frets: 24
    Runt IS very good, both the clean and dirty sounds.  Best amp I've ever had.
  • I found the same - definitely one of my favourite all time amps.
  • I would definitely have a look at the Victory amps. I was so impressed with their smaller heads like the V30, specifically the MKII.  I own a V130 and for a 100w capable head the size of it is ridiculous, at least half the size of most full size amp heads.
    Mattie, 21 year old guitarist and teacher at https://mgrmusic.com/guitar-lessons/
    Good to hear great feedback on the Runt. Haven’t plugged it in but the amp looks so cool.  Friedman really has nailed the styling on his amps.

if this doesn’t work for me I probably will try out a v30 mkii. I had the v45 combo for a while and think the new crunch mode would solve my main issue with the amp. 
    Just had about 45 mins with it, playing through my little cab with a Neo Creamback.

There are some good sounds in the amp for sure and it’s ridiculous easy to play.

Not sure the clean channel is really for me though.  Oddly boomy to my ears.

I need more time with it and to crank it a bit, but I have to say I haven’t actually been blown away by it.  I was expecting a big grin on my face blasting through classic ac/dc, zz top etc riffs but didn’t really. 
  • LaCathedrale_UKLaCathedrale_UK Frets: 105
    edited June 2018
    Remember the clean channel has three EQ settings.

I found my favourite gain sound was about halfway up with the boost turned off, and then pushed with a TS/Klon.

I think it has the advantage of being able to be played quietly (esp. with the XLR out) but sounds best crunchy at some volume (i.e. wife is out with her mother -type volume)
  • Interesting ... I'm thinking about a runt. Would be interested to hear updates on how you're liking it!
    First thing to bear in mind is that I haven’t got the runt up to any decent volume, mostly just a bit louder than ‘bedroom’ volume. So this isn’t a completely full road test. 

I’ve spent a couple of hours with it now and been comparing it to my Marshall DSL401, both through the same speaker cab.

They are very similar sounding. Very very similar.

You can tell that the Friedman is a more refined amp and it is a serious cool amp aesthetically.  The features and weight are also a huge plus.

Overall I packed everything up thinking that the Runt isnt for me.  It’s too much for an amp that doesn’t give me anything more than I already have other than convenience. 

I actually think I preferred the DSL in some ways as well.  It seemed a bit crisper, maybe that was the rawness of the sound cutting through a bit more.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    How does it compare to the Atma mate? 

I nearly went Runt but ended up staying with my Mesa Stiletto, I frequently regret not getting the Atma though and really regret selling the Shiva...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I really liked the Atma and did consider getting another one.  New prices of them are just crazy now though.

For me the Atma is nicer than the Runt and more versatile.  

The runt is a good amp though so I’m not bashing it.  Just not enough of an improvement for me over what I already have to justify keeping it.

i may well keep an eye out for a used shiva.
  • Not trying to be a snob or anything the runts a great sounding amp but for me wasnt really like the rest of the Friedman range the taco, smallbox, be etc all sound alot more ballzy & touch responsive / dynamic dunno why i just felt the runt wasnt the same. Try a smallbox out in store if you can to compare. The runt is still awesome though just not like the rest of the range ymmv  
    It’s a fair point. I’m taking the runt back today but GG in Epsom don’t seem to have much Friedman stuff in to compare. 

I might try out the Bogner Helios although it’s much more than I want to spend.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I didn't like the Runt 50 I owned.

That Telos isn't massively dearer than the Runt.
  • The Helios is an awesome amp my only critique is the way the two channels are set up you cant have a proper clean channel and have the 80’s switch on the 2nd channel which is killer but the tones are awesome. Also worth noting its bloody loud & the master volume isnt as good as the Friedmans but it does plexi style great
    I really liked the Helios!  Agree that it was quite loud but much more like what I was looking for and I liked the various switches and tone shaping options.

Also tried the Morgan MVP and I preferred that to the Runt.  Didn’t like it enough to spend £1,400 on it though.

I just can’t justify a £2k spend on an amp at the moment. 
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    I had both the Runt 50 & 20,  Didn't like them and the 50 proved to be unreliable due to a design fault. I currently have a Jackson Britain 4 which I really like.  Peach currently have a great deal on an El-Guapo which had I seen a couple of weeks ago I would have grabbed. 

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitar-amps/guitar-amps/jackson-ampworks-the-el-guapo.htm