Please forgive me......

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    d'Addarios - my tech always fits them, I've found they are OK. Before meeting tech Colin I used Dean Markleys and EBs - the latter for if a DM broke and I needed something that would tune up almost instantly, even if it would be dead after a night's gigging.

I used to find Rotosounds were clanky, but that were years ago, don't know if it is still true.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    I always come back to d'Addarios XL10's - they just seem to stay in tune and last. EB slinkys are pretty good but dont last as well I find. Like @digitalscream I didnt like the d'Addarios NYXL's - honestly could not tell the differenct other than the price :)

I'm going to try some Newtones mind you - they look nice!

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I had settled on Dean Markleys about thirty years ago, but they stopped making the kind I liked. When I tried a variety of brands I settled on D'Ads. Sound nice. Last long. Consistent quality. Decent price.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26666
    And just like that, Pete Cottrell has the video you need...

<space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 250
    Thanks loads guys! I really appreciate your input.  So sorry for being so slow in replying but had a few internet issues so not been here! 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    edited June 2018
    I’ve recently gone back and tried polywebs on my explorer. A hybrid set of 9-46’s. 

I do love the slipperyness, and it makes fast chordy stuff such as master of puppets verse easier to play.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    D’addario 9.5’s on Strats and 10.5’s on Les Pauls, always intonate correctly and last longer than any others, I must be doing something wrong, I never break strings even with extreme whammy abuse ;)
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    ICBM said:
    I would get D’Addarios, either 10-46 or 10-52 which I think suits a Tele even better. They’re the most consistent and long-lasting of the major brands in my experience.

If you can wait (they can sometimes take a week or so for delivery), try Newtones - they sound and feel better than any other strings I’ve tried, and seem to last very well too.
    Interested in the Newtones. Looked on their site and theres a few different one - Electric Masters and Lucidity. Can you recommend a particular one? Couldn't tell by the description what the differences are. Cheers
  • Id slap a set of Daddi's on and not look back.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    The other 95% use D'Addarios.  These for me. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4847
    edited June 2018
    fandango said:
    AlexC said:
    Personally, I use Rotosounds all the time - but you can’t go far wrong with Ernie Balls - which about 90% of guitarists seem to use.
    The other 95% use D'Addarios. 
    Lol, 60% of the time, they work everytime

D'Addarios for me as well tbh, faultless and consistent, the bag thing really doesn't bother me. I'm being tempted by them Newtones now though when my batch of current D'Addarios run out.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4847
    As a side note, anyone tried the NYXLs or Paradigm sets? Any good or just more snake oil?

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    munckee said:
    If you find your strings get dull and muddy sounding too quickly you could try coated strings, such as Elixir Nanowebs. They feel a little different but last a really long time.
    I only use elixit nanowebs on all my guitars, I find they last 3-4 times longer than anything else for twice the price.

Elixirs for me, never use anything else. Tried the Optiwebs recently, slightly nicer initial feel than the Nanos but they are a bit pricier and not convinced the difference is enough to justify it.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    edited June 2018
    I really like the sound and feel of Newtonea but I have intonation issues with the low E on my particular main guitar with then. I use them on acoustic and other guitars, though.

Def D’Addario over Ernie Ball, and NyXl for preference over standard.