North/Midlands vs South slang/words..

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Kindslice - A home given by the local authority in Stoke!...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Fave Cockerney saying is Taters ..... taters in the mold , cold ...
    Deadman said:
    @Boromedic I'm from Darlo. Wife hails from Acklam.

I won't ask where you're from  ;)
    Darlo as in darlaston ?
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4828
    Deadman said:

Hahaha town is easy, area there are many choices!! However, I'm a doyle from Hemo mate!! :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Jimbro66 said:
    Surprisingly no examples from the south yet. I lived in south London through my teens and twenties but most the slang we used I’ve since forgotten. Some of it was single words derived from rhyming slang, like

Whistle - a suit
    Barnett - hair or hairstyle
    Syrup - a wig
    Dicky (dirt) - shirt

Other slang was

fizhog - face “she’s got a goppin fizhog”
    lugholes - ears
    snout - a cigarette “Gissa snout”
    geezer - a man
    tart - girlfriend
    strides - trousers
    flicks - cinema

More might come back to me. Maybe other Londoners here can add some more. No point in asking south London youngsters, they all now speak Jamaican patois innit.
    Sort was London slang for a likely lass. “You seen that new bird? She looks a right sort”. Don’t think I’ve ever called a girlfriend a tart though, “my bird” maybe. 

Ruby = Ruby Murray. Curry. 

My old old father in law used to say Cowson, a far bit, especially at things that weren’t cooperating, like a car that wouldn’t start. “Come on, you bleeding cowson!”

An old workmate used to make up rhyming slang. He’d say things like, “‘Ere, pass me the Harold’s”. Harold’s = Harold Wilson’s, Stilsons. (A Stilson wrench is a type of adjustable spanner for those who don’t know). 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Budgie said:
    Derbyshire (and probably elsewhere)

Dogshelf

My dad referred to the floor as the Dogshelf but AFAIK he never lived in Derbyshire. Salford originally, then Amold just a bit north of Nottingham, via a spell in Croxley Green just a bit south of Watford.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited June 2018
    Local greetings are always good value... 

Back in the day "Alroight moi luvver?" seemed to cut across age/gender/everything in the West Country. 

When I lived in the East Midlands, "Y'riiiiight, yoth?" (youth) was one to be cherished.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    west said:
    Deadman said:

Darlo as in darlaston ?
    There's another Darlo!? No Darlington (County Durham) bud.
    Boromedic said:
    Deadman said:

Hahaha town is easy, area there are many choices!! However, I'm a doyle from Hemo mate!! :)
    I won't ever mess with you then!  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Deadman said:
    west said:
    Deadman said:

Darlo as in darlaston ?
    There's another Darlo!? No Darlington (County Durham) bud.
    Ah ok , n.p .. darlaston is a small place near wolverhampton all very unremarkable ....
    edited June 2018
    Deadman said:
    Boromedic said:
    Deadman said:

I won't ask where you're from 
    Hahaha town is easy, area there are many choices!! However, I'm a doyle from Hemo mate!!
    I won't ever mess with you then! 
    Lol, couldn't wait to bail out of there tbh! Left a long time ago, like most "rough" areas there were good and bad parts, we seemed to mostly live in the bad parts though! It was a great place to grow up in many ways. Can't say I miss it much like, although most people were salt of the earth I have to say, just a number of idiots trying to ruin it for everyone else. My Dad still lives up there so I have the odd nostalgia trip now and then  

edited June 2018
    Boromedic said:
    Deadman said:
    Boromedic said:
    Deadman said:

Hahaha town is easy, area there are many choices!! However, I'm a doyle from Hemo mate!!
    Lol, couldn't wait to bail out of there tbh! Left a long time ago, like most "rough" areas there were good and bad parts, we seemed to mostly live in the bad parts though! It was a great place to grow up in many ways. Can't say I miss it much like, although most people were salt of the earth I have to say, just a number of idiots trying to ruin it for everyone else. My Dad still lives up there so I have the odd nostalgia trip now and then  
    Yeah there's only my mum in law and bro in law left in Acklam. Still enjoy trips up to Whitby, Richmond, Barney etc. but don't get in the Yellow Rose, Linny, Coronation, Master Cooper and Bluebell as much nowadays.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    edited June 2018
    We do have slang here in Hertfordshire but it's just posher.
    Seriously,slang seems to be more generational than regional.
    I have absolutely no idea what my late teenage children are talking about.It seems to be a mixture of Internet speak and silly rap type words.
    My daughter was wearing a T-shirt with BAE on the front in big letters......I assumed it was some kind of corporate promotional handout.Apparently not.
    I have heard the saying......so wanting to be cuddly and on-trend with them I suggested an evening in last weekend (I was trying to get out of taking them to cinema as promised ).I said come on lets stay in and watch something......How about Netflix and Chill. They couldn't stop laughing ...all 4 of them.
    I have been put right.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    Deadman said:
    Boromedic said:
    Deadman said:
    Boromedic said:
    Deadman said:

Yeah there's only my mum in law and bro in law left in Acklam. Still enjoy trips up to Whitby, Richmond, Barney etc. but don't get in the Yellow Rose, Lingy, Coronation, Master Cooper and Bluebell as much nowadays.
    Jeez, that's like a rollcall of my mis-spent youth! Pretending to be 18 in a Sammy Smith's pub getting wrecked on Ayingabrau Pils for less than a quid a beer!! Watching the old guys getting smashed and the cribbage table flying after one too many.

Back in the day, the Linny had an amazing jukebox, bettered only by The Tavern, which pretty much became our local. Some crazy fights used to kick off in Hot Shots behind The Tavern an all, those were the days   Tuesday nights in the Rudd's and Sundays in The Dickens were amazing as well. I'm sure you'll know what I mean! ;)

As much as folk will slag the place off and in some ways deserved, Boro was right on the doorstep of some beautiful parts of the world, like the ones you mentioned. That was one thing growing up in Hemo, you could ride your bike or walk 10 minutes and you were into the North York Moors park. 

Oh my God Ayingerbrau @Boromedic we used to look at the little bloke on the picture and say you little bastard are you gonna get me legless again tonight? I don't think I ever saw it anywhere else in the world but the cooper either lol. I loved the Linny jukebox too. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    :) :) :) Good stuff, good stuff!!

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Dominic said:
    We do have slang here in Hertfordshire but it's just posher.
    I once heard an old Hertfordshire man explaining the use of "way".

"He was up way bank" meaning "He was up the bank over there". 'Way' was suggesting somewhere in the locality of the speaker but not immediately close.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited June 2018
    This is quite long so Im not expecting anyone to listen to it all but this is a fair relection of our local accent. If you listen from around 3 mins you'll get a few local words/slang like mardy and wom (home)

https://sounds.bl.uk/Accents-and-dialects/BBC-Voices/021M-C1190X0020XX-0501V0

Rocks for sweets is another one I heard in there
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Thanks all for all the replies! 
    Tonnes of words here now haha. 

Shes had a peruse of the thread and learned a few new uns herself! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...