p90 Questions

What's Hot
So after researching p90's for a guitar build i want to ask 2 questions.

With late 50's - early 60's Gibson p90's where they made universally for every p90 guitar. So would a junior have the same p90's used in Es330 for that period or were there some minor changes? 

What should be the right reading for the neck and bridge p90? 

Thanks  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16679
    edited June 2018
    They will have been made pretty much the same. Chucked on the machine and wound till done.  About 8kish.

edit - i should say dogears and soapbars have different baseplates.   you can out a soapbar in a dogear cover and use foam underneath to hold it in place.   You can;t put a dogear in a soapbar cover

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    One bobbin fits all applications. Neck/middle/bridge positional calibration had yet to be invented.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited June 2018
    My 1958 single cut junior reads 8.3k, as mentioned I don't think there was a distinction between them. If you need to adjust either raise/lower the whole pickup or the poles.
  • nickbigsbynickbigsby Frets: 31
    As Funkfingers says they were all made/wound the same for any position . Just relying on pickup height for volume balance . That’s why you often see a P90 Les Paul with the neck practically flush with the body and the bridge almost touching the strings to get an even balance 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    Problem is with the dog ear ones you have to resort to using spacers often as other than the pole piece screws there is no adjustment. You often see jnrs with the pole piece screws sticking well out of the pickup to get them close to the strings.