Pete Cornish - Worth It ?

What's Hot

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Gassage;202596" said:

The only other drive pedal I've loved is the Euphoria and I'd love to try the other Wampler stuff.
    I have nothing to add regarding Cornish stuff (not my style for a lot of reasons - money isn't that much of one), but I would say that I think you'd really like the Paisley Drive and the Ego Compressor. You play great and have a lovely tone.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    JDE said:
    Gassage;202596" said:

The only other drive pedal I've loved is the Euphoria and I'd love to try the other Wampler stuff.
    I have nothing to add regarding Cornish stuff (not my style for a lot of reasons - money isn't that much of one), but I would say that I think you'd really like the Paisley Drive and the Ego Compressor. You play great and have a lovely tone.

Also heard loads of positives about the Muff/Fuzz- the Velvet. +1 on checking out the Compressor. Where is the Paisley? Hotter or older than the Eup?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9553
    edited April 2014
    The best that I have encountered, so that can range from clean to fuzz, is the Paul Trombetta Design stuff...

i had a Mini Bone about two weeks ago. Absolutely fantastic ! Very unusual pedals, with unique design. Anyway, it was so good, I bought a Rotobone from the 'Bay. I'll be picking this up from the post office this morning...

How these will sit with my new found Pete Cornish love, I don't know yet. Ironically, I'd forgot that I was on the PC waiting list till the email late last week... Both pedal makers have a 12 month waiting list....

if my incoming G-2 can get close to the PTD stuff, I'll be having a dilemna !

It's a day where it's all happening... And it my Mom's 70th birthday !

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    The paisley has a little less gain than the Euphoria - a bit like a modded/hot tubescreamer but not as congested. The switching options mean it has a lot of sounds on tap. The reason I mentioned it is because at certain settings it's quite Gilmour-y sustain-y and very smooth. This is an awful comparison but imagine a Muff with low gain and lots of mids and bass, but totally unspluttery. I hate describing tone but that's the best I can come up with.

The ego is a best in class compressor in my opinion. Bit too refined for my taste (I like the pop and squish of Dyna's if I'm gonna use a comp as "an effect") but very good and useful.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    JDE said:
    The paisley has a little less gain than the Euphoria - a bit like a modded/hot tubescreamer but not as congested. The switching options mean it has a lot of sounds on tap. The reason I mentioned it is because at certain settings it's quite Gilmour-y sustain-y and very smooth. This is an awful comparison but imagine a Muff with low gain and lots of mids and bass, but totally unspluttery. I hate describing tone but that's the best I can come up with.

The ego is a best in class compressor in my opinion. Bit too refined for my taste (I like the pop and squish of Dyna's if I'm gonna use a comp as "an effect") but very good and useful.

Yeah I get you re the compressor.

I use a Demeter for that reason. I used to have a vintage 75 Dynacomp which was very attacky and ploppy but also not transparent.

I could ditch my tuner, get a clip on and add a Euphoria! I listened to the Paisley on Wampler's site and I get where you're coming from.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    ICBM;202599" said:

What 'normal' pedals is the G2 closer to?
    They tried all the positions; On Top, doggie, and Normal. Then a hellbeast ate them
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    edited April 2014
    ICBM said:
    I actually quite like Cornish's '1960s military equipment' look.

Better than those ridiculous swirly paint jobs with no lettering, anyway.

Pah! Thats not military.

http://s848.photobucket.com/user/kelvinburn/media/Mobile Uploads/20131204_234535_zps0285b4a8.jpg.html

THATS military :P
  • steveyraffsteveyraff Frets: 17
    edited April 2014
    Reason for edit: My post has been pointed out as being too close to a sales pitch in the wrong area. Apologies. 
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    Gassage said:
    Waz

Re your q about the Cornish stuff and differences between the G2 and SS3 have just finished cleaning this up

First bit is the G2 stacked into the CC1 second bit is the SS3 also into CC1  (CC1 is set very light dirt. c. 40% but with the mid almost maxed)

Aural honey.  Well done.
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    Gassage said:
    @ICBM

G2- for me the nearest is the upper reaches of the Euphoria for the lower reaches of the G2

Then the Skreddy Lunar. That pedal is truly awesome. 99% as good as a G2 and will go dirtier than a G2.

Have a look at this:

The outro solo is PURE G2 with a but of BK Butler Tube Driver and only the TES for the delay

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11507n_pink-floyd-comfortably-numb-2005-concert-live8_music

Harsh and too trebly.
    After the honeymoon, CC-1 update...

Great pedal. Even switched off, my sound just seems to 'lift' when the CC-1 is on my board. The EQ section is mind blowing.... Gassage is right - it absolutely destroys the Timmy eq, and i thought that that was impressive !

The CC-1 is great as a booster, eq, mild overdrive and as a 'shaper'. Using the pedal is a delight. The knobs are very accurate with an amazing range. I asked Pete to fit some of the Fender style knobs on mine, which he duly obliged.

Amazingly, i believe the CC-1 is well worth the money. The SS-3 and ST-2 are in the sights next....

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22163
    Waz, have you ever used the Tim? Always thought the EQ section on that was much nicer than the Timmy EQ. 

To be fair, I did own one way way back but probably never gave it a chance...

I do like the EQ on the Timmy, but it pales next to the Cornish CC-1.
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1846

Why the name under the serial number?

Does Gilmour have his name on them? Is it in case they get lost?

Surely that hurts resale value?

• rauldukeraulduke Frets: 81
    I think Pete Cornish stuff always looks incredibly well made.

It's expensive, no doubt about that, but you are paying for the experience and knowledge in not only how to design cool pedals, but also how to build them to last.
  •  

Why the name under the serial number?

Does Gilmour have his name on them? Is it in case they get lost?

Surely that hurts resale value?

IIRC that ties in with the fact that PC only upheld the guarantee on them for the original owner.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • raulduke said:

It's expensive, no doubt about that, but you are paying for the experience and knowledge in not only how to design cool pedals, but also how to build them to last.
    Totally agree.  I also think you are paying for the fact the Pete Cornish probably doesn't 'need' to be making them so it has to be worth his while.  Regardless of what it is under the skin people see Gilmour etc using them and want the same, or feel secured by the recognition of the name - no different to signature guitars.  If people can afford his prices and it brings them real happiness or adds some indescribable confidence, magic or mojo to their playing then it is worth it to them.  For the last couple of decades Pete Cornish has no doubt been in a position where he merely builds to meet a demand rather than financial necessity.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rauldukeraulduke Frets: 81
    I agree about 'if it makes you happy then good on ya'.

It's like a Custom Shop Strat:

Is it 10 times better than a mexican standard? No.

Would it make you feel all warm and fuzzy when you first open that hard case and admire its general awesomness? F*ck Yeah :)!
  • raulduke;219395" said:

Not as long lasting as your average boss pedal, still ;)

From a couple of demos on here recently, they do sound... Er... Gilmour. Which is absolutely awesome, though I get close enough with a muff, boost and delay, it's nice to know you can use the exact same kit.