Alan George Guitars?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3681
I keep seeing these advertised on Facebook, cheap but look pretty good, anyone tried one?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I remember seeing them before. They had a separate proper website. I honestly thought they’d disappeared. Never tried one, although I remember being tempted by a dc junior, at one time. They’re pretty cheap? People seem to be happy enough with them for the price.. Sorry I can’t be more helpful..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7098
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    I've seen a few of the dc juniors, a friend buys them. For £200 they are okay I suppose.

Similar price but nicer woods (it seems, I haven't inspected one) is DWM Guitars, also selling via facebook.
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1047
    My friend bought one of the Telemaster type things from them. It was terrible. 
    I'm sure some of the other guitars  will be better but that certainly put me off from ever bothering with one. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
  • redwedgeredwedge Frets: 17
    I've had a resonator and a semi acoustic "Gretsch" from him. Both excellent.  
  • geordie01geordie01 Frets: 22
    I had a 335 with a lovely birds eye maple top off him it was terrible. The tuners were sloppy there were gaps under the frets the laquer was chipped off the neck binding and there was fret buzz all over the neck.Sent it back and got a refund no problem maybe I just got a dud but the guy was helpfull enough.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4211
    I had a TV jnr yellow double cut and for the money it was fine, I took a punt as if it was terrible it'd still make a nice slide guitar
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I bought the Jnr from sweepy, and can confirm it was fine.

But with any cheap Chinese made guitar, there is a large element of luck of the draw.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    I also bought a LP Jnr from him. Needed a fret-dress and new stud posts for the bridge but considering it was around £125 delivered it's really good value. Mine has a HUGE baseball bat neck.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4055
    They look the AliExpress stuff.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1711
    What on earth do people expect for a measly 100 quid .I would buy one on the premise that it needed fret levels and ends and other work done on it .They look good for what they are and baseball bat necks on some cant be bad but of cours ethey are AliEpress stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    rossi said:
    What on earth do people expect for a measly 100 quid .I would buy one on the premise that it needed fret levels and ends and other work done on it .They look good for what they are and baseball bat necks on some cant be bad but of cours ethey are AliEpress stuff.
    Wise words - I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again.
  • I've had 2, a strat and a Les Paul.

The Strat was horrendous. The humbucker pickup route had been done too close to the bridge, and that caused splits between the pickup route and the trem posts. this had been "fixed" with a chunk of wood glued in, but trem still moved too much for it to stay in tune. Neck was good though, and has been used as a donor neck for a custom build. But otherwise awful.

The Les Paul I haven't played enough to pass verdict, but so far so good.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • I've had 3 telecasters from him and never had a problem, yes they need fret levels and a general but then again so do high Gibson & Fenders. the only real changes I made were new pickups from Axetec - inexpensive units that sound fantastic. even including setup & pickups they were still cheaper than the major brands level entry models. The thinline Tele is one of my main goto guitars for gigs.

Albert Collins Tribute (pickguard swapped for white since picture taken)

Keith Richards Micawber Tribute

68 Thinline Style

These are by far the cheapest guitars I own (current collection 119 guitars including PRS Core & Gibson models) and yet all 3 get regular use for gigs.

check out my full collection here

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Similar price but nicer woods (it seems, I haven't inspected one) is DWM Guitars, also selling via facebook. I have a DWM Les Paul jnr, and it is awesome, brilliant neck and sounds like it should, I love it
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12700
    I picked up a basswood Tele body - black with the top edgebound in white - for £42 delivered. 

Its nice enough and will form the basis for a decent partcaster. No its not CS Fender quality but then again, it cost £42. 

For that money, its a bargain.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3505
    I bought a Tele Hybrid style guitar from him for under £100.  

I had very low expectations for the guitar but it was actually excellent.  Needed a bit of a work though, just on the nut. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3324
    edited June 2019
    longjaw said:
    I also bought a LP Jnr from him. Needed a fret-dress and new stud posts for the bridge but considering it was around £125 delivered it's really good value. Mine has a HUGE baseball bat neck.
    If you decide you want to let that go pm me, I love a big neck!