Jackson js32 Kelly and VM Strat experiences

What's Hot
OwainOwain Frets: 13
Not been on here a while, been busy. 

Come a long way since starting to learn again after re-picking up the guitar at start of the year  =) really enjoying it and developed GAS already  :#

Anyone have experience with a Jackson JS32 Kelly? unsure whether to buy one or a Squier VM strat. I quite fancy a strat, but cannot deny the design of the JS32 Kelly looks awesome and has HH too. I love HH pickups, never had a "metal" guitar though, is it that? or is it versatile?

I like the look of the strat too, fancy playing a strat and would do the job, both the guitars look awesome but don't know which to go for. 

I've heard good things about the VM strat, but does anyone have any experiences with the JS32 Kelly? My style, and the type of songs I enjoy playing are by Rory Gallagher, Tony Iommi and Angus Young. Or would I be better off with an SG with my tastes?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    Had a JS32 series RR Vee for a few months. Listed it for sale here. Eventually, sold it back to the person from whom I obtained it. A lot of guitar for not much money BUT the neck flexed alarmingly.

For this reason alone, I would go with the Squier VM series every time. The HSS pickup cavity routing makes for relatively easy modification.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited June 2018
    I have a few Dinkys, a JS22 and two JS32s,  and they all have exactly the same necks as the Kelly.

I think these necks are very good with the graphite reinforcement. No flexing on any of mine and never had to do any fret levelling. My JS32 with the Floyd Rose needed some work to achieve a low action due to the neck radius being flatter than the bridge radius.

Pickups are all the same, ceramic humbuckers made by Belcat, and I don't feel the need to change them other than fancying a variation. I dunno what to as they seem to cover a lot of ground.

I would recommend the hardtail Kelly if you don't feel up to altering the Floyd bridge radius with shims and so on.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I have a JS30 KV (Same series, different shape) if memory serves it's the hardtail version of the JS32.

They are really good guitars, bit of a one trick pony though, but it is a very good trick :)
  • OwainOwain Frets: 13
    LuttiS said:
    I have a JS30 KV (Same series, different shape) if memory serves it's the hardtail version of the JS32.

They are really good guitars, bit of a one trick pony though, but it is a very good trick :)
    One trick pony? so it is only suited to metal really? 
    Owain said:
    LuttiS said:

I would disagree. I think the low end Jacksons are a good platform to work with to cover from blues rock to the aforementioned 'metal'.

Can you not try one in a shop somewhere?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mbe said:
    Owain said:
    LuttiS said:

I would disagree. I think the low end Jacksons are a good platform to work with to cover from blues rock to the aforementioned 'metal'.

Can you not try one in a shop somewhere?
    I live very rurally and am here all summer :/ might have to drive for about 2 hours to get to a good guitar store :/ 

I have tried an Ibanez RG in the past in a store and I didn't like that. I don't know if the Jackson is similar?

I've also tried an Epiphone SG400, I liked the sound but the neck was a bit too big, I love my Epiphone Les Paul standard though. The sound, feel of the neck, I've tried nothing better. 

But am looking for a new guitar. 
    I hear you. I have the Epi LP Standard, nice.

In your case you can't go wrong with a higher end Squier Strat. Also have a look at the latest Contemporary Series Squier, HH or HSS.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    edited June 2018
    Owain said:
    LuttiS said:

They are really good guitars, bit of a one trick pony though, but it is a very good trick
    It's a rock/metal guitar. The setup, neck and pick ups all work nicely for that style. 

However the pickups in it were surprisingly good, i was in a metal band at the time so that's what i used it for. They had some very clear cleans and i imagine it could easily handle more than metal, but metal is it's strong point.

It is very pointy, which i believe acts as a sort of metal lightning rod. Guaranteed to make you play 13% better. Or at least look good while wearing tight trousers.

If you are after a pointy type guitar, the JS series are very good and you won't be disappointed, but if you are just after something new and differnt perhaps something a little more versatile.
    What have you got currently? 
    edited June 2018
    mbe said:
    I hear you. I have the Epi LP Standard, nice.

In your case you can't go wrong with a higher end Squier Strat. Also have a look at the latest Contemporary Series Squier, HH or HSS.
    I really like the looks of the new Contemporary Series, they look stunning, it's just that my guitar role model is Rory Gallagher and he played on an SSS, so would like to get something with that pickup set. 

LuttiS said:
    Owain said:
    LuttiS said:

They are really good guitars, bit of a one trick pony though, but it is a very good trick
    It's a rock/metal guitar. The setup, neck and pick ups all work nicely for that style. 

However the pickups in it were surprisingly good, i was in a metal band at the time so that's what i used it for. They had some very clear cleans and i imagine it could easily handle more than metal, but metal is it's strong point.

It is very pointy, which i believe acts as a sort of metal lightning rod. Guaranteed to make you play 13% better. Or at least look good while wearing tight trousers.

If you are after a pointy type guitar, the JS series are very good and you won't be disappointed, but if you are just after something new and differnt perhaps something a little more versatile.
    What have you got currently? 
    I have an Epiphone Les Paul standard, that's my main guitar. I'm looking for something cheap, that I don't mind if it gets stolen or beaten up. I'm into either a strat or a cool shaped guitar, I'd like it to be versatile, as it'll be my main guitar when I'm not home and staying at uni. 

Generally I do play heavier types of music, ACDC, Black Sabbath, but I'd like to be able to play different genres of music and to play whatever I feel like at the time. Whether it rock, blues or heavy metal. I'd like it if it could play some music like Rory Gallagher or Eric Clapton stuff too. But despite the interest, for some reason I don't play blusey music, only play the heavier stuff :D it's just more fun! and sounds cooler