I imagine this’ll be contentious, but.... Tonerite

What's Hot
GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7197
I stumbled across this in a Mornington Crescent kinda way, and it’s definitely got me curious; billy bullshit soaked in snake-oil, or something in it?

https://www.tonerite.com/products/guitar-tonerite
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Ha ha ha..... this is a joke right?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7197
    JD50 said:
    Ha ha ha..... this is a joke right?
    You’d think, wouldn’t you. 

Its so ridiculous that I kinda think it must work, or they’d have been laughed out of town 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 915
    If you believe that playing an acoustic guitar a lot helps open up the sound (many people do, myself included), then it stands to reason that this would have a similar effect. It vibrates the top as much as you'd get from playing big chords, and it can do it 24/7 for as long you want.

Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Queue the phrases "just play it" "snake oil" etc and then find the same people arguing over period correct plastics and hide glue :D
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    I just take my guitar to gigs and stand near the speakers for the same effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72552
    I haven’t tried this device, but exposing a guitar to constant vibration definitely makes a difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited June 2018
    Best not use that with a cedar top. They rarely improve with age and the tone tends to deteriorate with age. That's why you hardly ever see vintage classical guitars for sale.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16144
    Yamaha has a whole factory process for their high end stuff that works in this way
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16751
    Try one - you might be surprised.   I mean, you don;t need to buy the thing, just keep your guitar  close to a load speaker as much as you can

you know how speakers need a bit of breaking in... so do guitars, especially acoustic ones but electrics are not totally immune

Ever noticed that old well played guitars sound better than old untouched ones?  

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    These have been around for years haven't they?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    Plenty of anecdotal evidence but little in terms of measurable scientific results from what I can find. Part of the problem is that people test it on guitars they’ve owned and played for many years. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear a difference when applied to a brand new guitar, but then again I suspect you’d get the same results by strumming it daily for a month.
  • interstellarinterstellar Frets: 486
    I used these a while back on a Collings i had, hard to know if it made much difference, but maybe thats the famously rigid Collings,  i always try and have my acoustics near the speaker of my Swart and get some extra vibrations that way.

Worth a try though as they have been around for quite a few years now, and they are very cheap 2nd hand when they do crop up.  
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    Is it a sex toy ?
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    I bought one and been happy enough if you are just gigging one or two guitars then you probably don’t need them but like me you have a dozen or so knocking around that fall in and out of favour worth a punt you can definitely hear a difference is it better probably but it is different. Certainly improved a few of my solid top budget acoustics .

• valevale Frets: 1052
    rossi said:
    Is it a sex toy ?
    that was my first thought. just buy a vibrator & rechargeable batteries from the poundshop.
    set variable speed to the year of your choosing & tuck it under the strings before bedtime.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but if you vibrate an acoustic guitar it makes a lot of noise, I don't think this would work unless you have a soundproofed room to keep your guitars in. 
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 915
    I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but if you vibrate an acoustic guitar it makes a lot of noise, I don't think this would work unless you have a soundproofed room to keep your guitars in. 
    Nope - it mutes the strings, so all you hear is a low buzzing. 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14334
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I haven’t tried this device, but exposing a guitar to constant vibration definitely makes a difference.
    I've heard stories about players who will leave an acoustic on a guitar stand, by the hi-fi speakers to keep the top 'vibrating'

Violin players talk about it all the time - keep the top vibrating and let it be surrounded by sound if you are not playing it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11958
    it makes a big difference
    I bought one after buying a guitar from someone who had used one on it, and  seeing that Ivor Mairants rotate one through their stock

I think a better solution would be a transducer with a variety of frequencies more similar to guitar playing, but nevertheless, it makes a big difference