Gibson Custom R8 v R9?

What's Hot
Which do you save your pennies for?

Is the only real difference the top?
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The neck profile of the R8 is beefier. Supposedly in line with the originals. I have to say though that I find the profile on some R8s a bit exaggerated compared to the handful of original 58s I have played.

Were I in the market for a new single cut I’d be looking at a new top end Tokai rather than either of these as Gibson’s prices are just silly nowadays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33819
    I find '59's to be chunky but '58's are too big to be useful.

Personally I'd go for an R7 or R0.
    Or a Tokai.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462

The R8 neck is huge.  Very comfortable, but huge.  I ended up selling mine.  I was recording something, and I initially recorded it with my ES Les Paul, but thought I would see how it sounded with the R8.  It took me about 10 attempts to play it cleanly on the R8, after getting it first time on the ES Les Paul with the smaller neck.

I have very short fingers, so it may not be as bad for others, but the size of the neck did make it cumbersome, and it slowed me down.  Having said that, it was incredibly comfortable to play.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7158
    I have an R7 and its got a good girth to the neck, nice handful etc
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    Note that the 2017 R8s (and possibly the 2018s) have an R9 profile.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6200
    tFB Trader
    Brize said:
    Note that the 2017 R8s (and possibly the 2018s) have an R9 profile.
    just because gibson decided to f**k with everyone?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14320
    tFB Trader
    As far as the production costs go, the only real difference on an R8 v R9 is the maple figured top  Granted some R8's are spec'd with a figured top, some more subtle than others
  • I chose an R8 because I preferred the neck. I always seem to prefer the tone of guitars with chunkier necks. Find the best sounding one and then make your technique work for the guitar.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    I went for the R8 as I don’t care for flame tops (although many R8s have them to some extent) and I had no issue with the neck.  Not sure how consistent the profile is year-on-year, piece-by-piece tho.  I didn’t find the neck to be as chunky as internet wisdom would have you believe.  My advice would be to go forth and try!