Gibson Les Paul Standard vs. Gibson Les Paul R* Custom

What's Hot
Ok, so these threads are going good. And I've kinda found that maybe I don't need a Gibson Custom. Thorpy made a good point in one of the threads that a good Standard with decent pickups could potentially match an R8/R9.

So, what say you? What are the main differences and is there any special sauce that makes the Custom Reissues any better than the Standards? I personally love my Standard and am wondering if I'm missing out on anything specific?

This is the last, I promise. But in the interests of completion and to bring us full circle back to the Fender standard vs Custom Shop...a Gibson version would be cool! Ta.
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    You have to judge each guitar on its merits - I've played Gibson USA Standards that were great guitars and better than some Custom Shop guitars. However, on balance, the Custom Shop guitars will be better. Personally, I don't like the thick binding and Nashville bridges on the Gibson USA guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    I like the custom shop stuff because it is generally has a better fit and finish, and I much prefer the aged hardware to the horrible shiny chrome stuff they put no standard models. All the custom shop stuff I’ve had has been much better playing and sounding than standard models, but that is just my experience 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 849
    One of the things that people don’t often mention regarding standards vs reissue is the neck angle.
    It’s less on a reissue meaning it not only feel very different to your left arm playing it but also to your right as the bridge sits considerably lower than a standard.
    This might or might not bother you but they feel like completely different guitars to me.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59 said:
    One of the things that people don’t often mention regarding standards vs reissue is the neck angle.
    It’s less on a reissue meaning it not only feel very different to your left arm playing it but also to your right as the bridge sits considerably lower than a standard.
    This might or might not bother you but they feel like completely different guitars to me.
    Yes, this is true. I noticed this visually, but also noticed this when playing an R8 the other day. But why? Because they can be arsed to pay attention to what they're doing on the reissues and are careless with the Standards? I don't get it. Was it a conscious design decision and if so why?

That said, I have no issues with the slightly high bridge on my 2017 Standard. 

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    My bro picked up an early 90s standard second hand in Shanghai. I advised him on what to look out for..  have to say it's an absolute cracker.

Lovely neck with a great profile. If it was me if refret with 6105 and stick a set of montys in there. Easily as good as a lot of reissues I've tried.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    koss59 said:
    The neck angles can vary considerably on the reissues.
  • Used to have an early 90's standard, Terrific guitar and sounded great, Build quality was really good. Early 90's standards have a good rep and of course if you can find them some 2003 Standards are made with Brazilian rosewood. 
    I think Gibson custom shop is pretty much considered a separate entity to the main Gibson company and I think their build quality is better but you certainly pay for it. Their prices have got too high in my opinion now when you can buy something handmade in the UK for a similar price or even less. 

IMHO I would probably go for a very early 90's Standard and put in a set of Wizz PAF replicas. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    I'd definitely consider changing the bridge and stop tail with vintage studs and anchors, I'd even plug the nashvile bridge bushings and put the vintage posts and thumb wheels on it

A standard i changed the pickups on had very loose bridge bushings and one even fell out, not good 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Honestly most of the recent USA Les Pauls feel like £2k toys in your hands. Wouldn’t pay the money for them. The historics pretty much all feel like “proper” instruments.

The 335’s and semis are a different story however 
  • Honestly most of the recent USA Les Pauls feel like £2k toys in your hands. Wouldn’t pay the money for them. The historics pretty much all feel like “proper” instruments.

See, I'm wondering how you quantify that statement? I have a 2017 Standard, and before that, a 2013. Neither of which felt more toy-like than the R8 I had in my hands last week. 

As has been mentioned, the neck angle was "better" and the tailpiece flat to the body. There may have been a discrepancy in the weight between the two, but that's expected given that one was a reissue. The Custom Buckers also sounded nicer than what I think the Burst Bucker Pro's do.

That's about the extent of it, to my uneducated and inexperienced mind.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    There are two simple rules

A good guitar is a good guitar.

You are always best off owning a guitar you enjoy playing the most. 

All the specs and and accurate plastics, neck angles, top wrapping, break angles and all that other jazz don't matter if the two points above are true. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.

See, I'm wondering how you quantify that statement? I have a 2017 Standard, and before that, a 2013. Neither of which felt more toy-like than the R8 I had in my hands last week. 

As has been mentioned, the neck angle was "better" and the tailpiece flat to the body. There may have been a discrepancy in the weight between the two, but that's expected given that one was a reissue. The Custom Buckers also sounded nicer than what I think the Burst Bucker Pro's do.

To me every single one I had played post about 2010 felt plasticy, looked cheap and sounded cold. Now I’m not saying every USA les Paul in existence was the same but of the 20-30ish I played they were all pretty crap

loke I said the 335’s were a whole other story
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I've got 3 great Gibson Les Pauls (Standard, Custom, and GOTW with P90s), but when I played a Collectors Choice #11 Rosie, it was a very fine guitar indeed. Should've bought it...
  • LebondLebond Frets: 13
    edited June 2018
    The Gibson Custom Reissues are great sounding/playing guitars as are the Gibson USA guitars.  I own both and the main difference I find is that the CS guitars have a more broken in feel to them.

The best thing to do is try a few CS Les Pauls and decide for yourself.

To me every single one I had played post about 2010 felt plasticy, looked cheap and sounded cold. Now I’m not saying every USA les Paul in existence was the same but of the 20-30ish I played they were all pretty crap

loke I said the 335’s were a whole other story
    I am surprised to hear your account of things. Ive played a few guitars and like to think I can tell the difference between a good one and a bad one. Can honestly say that none of the words you mentioned above are words I'd use to describe the Les Paul's I've played since 2010. 

Again, aside from personal preference, I'm not sure either of us has anything tangible on which to base our comments. Have the plastics, woods, production methods changed post-2010 to make this happen, do you think?

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Brize said:
    You have to judge each guitar on its merits - I've played Gibson USA Standards that were great guitars and better than some Custom Shop guitars. However, on balance, the Custom Shop guitars will be better. Personally, I don't like the thick binding and Nashville bridges on the Gibson USA guitars.
    This. Also I've found Gibson's inconsistency is at every price point. There was a used R9 in Wunjo's a while ago that unplugged sounded dead. But then I've played others that were stunning. I missed an R8 a while ago that was just beautiful. So warm & resonant. That whole bloom in the note thing.