Best digital delay?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    The Red SIB Echodrive is a fantastic digital delay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • m1ck1970m1ck1970 Frets: 53
     =) Many thanks for all your comments/advice guys :3  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24845
    Boss DD-7 is my favourite out of them all.  DD-3 is great too, but the DD-7 is a few more options which I like.  DD-500 has absolutely loads of options and settings if you want to get really detailed with your tweaking.  
    Hard to argue against the DD7 - cheap, reliable, sounds superb....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30941
    In order:

unobtanium - Cornish TES
    top end: tc2290
    midprice: flight time or chrono
    cheap: MIJ DD2

this is the only response to the thread worth reading,

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    You could do worse than look for a used Source Audio Nemesis. They're easily as good as the Strymon Timeline and have the ability to add additional engines via the app. I saw one go for less than £200 recently which is an insane amount of pedal for the money.
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 458
    viz said:
    I just use a couple of DD3’s in the loop; they’re modded, so as well as the standard mode they have two ‘analog modes’ by which the repeats have the treble progressively rolled off so they don’t sound as pristine and unnatural as digital delays can. I use them to switch between fast and slow delays, or together if I need more ambient wash. It’s a very simple system and sounds gorgeous. 

http://i.imgur.com/pfAnRiw.jpg
    Great set up there! and the excellent Burkey Pro on there too
  • vizviz Frets: 10719
    viz said:
    I just use a couple of DD3’s in the loop; they’re modded, so as well as the standard mode they have two ‘analog modes’ by which the repeats have the treble progressively rolled off so they don’t sound as pristine and unnatural as digital delays can. I use them to switch between fast and slow delays, or together if I need more ambient wash. It’s a very simple system and sounds gorgeous. 

http://i.imgur.com/pfAnRiw.jpg
    Great set up there! and the excellent Burkey Pro on there too
    Thanks! Yes it’s a rhinoceros of a power supply, I love it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Another Nemesis fan here
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    That Nemesis does sound nice. The Mike Hermans demo is great...

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    I'm not sure what you want, tbh.

I'm a big fan of the Boss DSD2/DSD3 as they supply a characterful repeat whilst remaining digital and clear.

If you want all bells and whistles then I'm sure someone could bend you over and rodger you up the arse for a Strymon or similar... but realistically, there comes a point of diminishing returns.

Want lots of great sounding delay options, with tap tempo, Midi switching, "analog" options, stereo, and all for about £75 secondhand?

Easy.

Line6 M5

All the rest of what it does comes free.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465

Do you need tap tempo?  If you don't then something like a DD3 is an option.

If you do, then it narrows your options down a bit.

I'll stick to ones I've got experience of.

Boss DD6 - didn't like but may be cheap second hand if you don't need tap tempo.  Tap tempo is basically unusable in a live situation without an external footswitch, as you have to hold the switch down for ages to get into tap tempo mode.  You can't then turn the pedal off again without holding the switch down for ages to get back into the normal mode.  DD7 would be a better bet unless you can get a second hand one really cheap.

Boss DD20 - had one briefly.  Solid pedal but big footprint.

TC Nova Delay.  Got this to replace the Boss because of the smaller footprint.  Big mistake.  Had two of them die on me.  Didn't miss it after the second one died, and I used a Line 6 M5 as a delay for a while.  I've had experience of reliability issues with other TC products as well.  Avoid.

Line 6 M5.  Perfectly serviceable as a delay.  Has two footswitches so usable tap tempo.  Bonus is lots of other sounds plus a tuner built in.

Strymon Timeline - expensive but brilliant pedal.  (I bought this before the Boss DD500 came out.  If buying now I might save a bit of money and get the DD500).

Don't have any experience of the Eventide stuff so won't comment on that.

• m1ck1970m1ck1970 Frets: 53
    crunchman said:

Do you need tap tempo?  If you don't then something like a DD3 is an option.

If you do, then it narrows your options down a bit.

I'll stick to ones I've got experience of.

Boss DD6 - didn't like but may be cheap second hand if you don't need tap tempo.  Tap tempo is basically unusable in a live situation without an external footswitch, as you have to hold the switch down for ages to get into tap tempo mode.  You can't then turn the pedal off again without holding the switch down for ages to get back into the normal mode.  DD7 would be a better bet unless you can get a second hand one really cheap.

Boss DD20 - had one briefly.  Solid pedal but big footprint.

TC Nova Delay.  Got this to replace the Boss because of the smaller footprint.  Big mistake.  Had two of them die on me.  Didn't miss it after the second one died, and I used a Line 6 M5 as a delay for a while.  I've had experience of reliability issues with other TC products as well.  Avoid.

Line 6 M5.  Perfectly serviceable as a delay.  Has two footswitches so usable tap tempo.  Bonus is lots of other sounds plus a tuner built in.

Strymon Timeline - expensive but brilliant pedal.  (I bought this before the Boss DD500 came out.  If buying now I might save a bit of money and get the DD500).

Don't have any experience of the Eventide stuff so won't comment on that.

Thanks for your comprehensive comnents. It will probably be either the timeline or DD500 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I really don't get the hype with the Timeline.

Let us know how you get on!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    edited June 2018
    I’ve tried loads...M5, M9, M13, DM2 waza, DD3, Chrono, Nemesis, VMSD etc..My current favourite is the DD-2. I love clean repeats and don’t like tape delay. The DD-2 just blends in really well and once set, I never need to mess with it. It’s either on or off.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited June 2018
    Korg, Boss, Maxon, Strymon.
    There are plenty of others too.......I love DDLs....I need a tap tempo and will probably get the Ibanez as it's cheap and does what it says on the tin.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    I always recommend the Marshall Echohead. It sounds really nice, has lots of modes, spill over if you want it and the option of tap tempo with an external footswitch. Been on my board for years.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3991
    I've just got a Timeline and would highly recommend it. It's got some amazing and crazy sounds in it but it's also really easy to create and save some basic delays and they sound great. And you get a looper.