Anyone used this power supply

What's Hot
voxmanjohnvoxmanjohn Frets: 75
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323246522414

Looks a bit of a Cioks dc5 rip off ??? Apparently isolated outputs.... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I have on, seems as quiet as my Voodoo lab and nad no bother with it a all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    maybe search youtube for a teardown vid? that's how i found out about whether the chinese cheapie i bought was fit for purpose. this is the teardown & test for the type i use.

my pedal power philosophy is to run two of these:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caline-Power-Supply-Station-10-Output-For-9V-12V-18V-Guitar-Effect-Pedals-Board/123031989927

my idea being that if one dies i can still get through with just the other if i rearrange.
    whereas with an all-eggs-in-one-basket approach there's a risk that if it dies (in transport or in use) you are at the mercy of scrounging & fortune. & if you are mid-set then it's probs game over.

i (kind of) try to keep potentially noisy analog dirt/fuzz & modulation things running from one supply, and superclean digital delay & modulation running from the other. basic idea.

& i also have this vague idea that if i need 12 outputs it's maybe better to run a couple of 10 outputs at 6 outputs each, rather than one 12output maxed out (overheating & fuses).

anyway, that doesn't answer your question but may be another way of thinking about the question?
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    edited June 2018
    I haven't tried it out but I did buy something similar, one of these, because for less than £30, why not? I have to say it works perfectly. It's completely silent, even with mixed analogue and digital pedals running and it's ultra-lightweight. It claims 500mA per isolated output and I've seen or heard nothing to disprove that.
    edited June 2018
    It's also totally different to the one in the video, the video one and the Vittos linked to above are basically a daisy chain in a box, the one you posted (which I have) is a proper multi-tapped transformer
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    @John_A I think there's something else going on in the Vitoos with some kind of isolation so I don't think it's just a daisychain. I've got a Mobius, a Nemesis and a bunch of analogue drives and running them from a daisychain gives an unbearable hum and constant noise. When running off the Vitoos, they're completely silent.
    Good to know -  must be cleverer than I thought.  Same with the Mosky, dead quiet.  Dont think theres a need to spend 100's on a posh PSU anymore with stuff like this kicking around
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I recently bought a supply like the one in the video and although I’m sure the it won’t be properly isolated, the very slight noise I was getting when using a daisy chain and one spot has gone so they have something extra.