Gretsch Tennessee Rose

What's Hot
toescantalktoescantalk Frets: 142
I am thinking a Tennessee Rose is the solution to all my problems and will pardon all my sins. Unfortunately, I live hundreds of miles from a shop that will have one, but will try one next time I'm down in central belt or in London town later in the year. 

Anyone else have experience of the Tennessee Rose being their salvation? I want lovely mix-cutting through clean sounds, and know it can kick some too from watching demos.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8190
    Not a Tennessee Rose but I bought one of the new slimmer centre-blocked Falcons recently and if that is anything to go by, you will not be disappointed. Absolutely love it...

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5445
    Tennies might be the best overall value in the Gretsch lineup. Superb playing/sounding and the deep cherry stain is lovely to look at too.

The scale length has varied over the years. Believe the current ones are 24.6" but prior to this/last year they were 25.5" which might be even better for those 'cutting cleans' you describe - I can definitely hear the difference between them.

I have a 25.5" version here - 2013 I believe. It has a lotta 'pop' on it... in the best possible way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • toescantalktoescantalk Frets: 142
    Whitecat said:
    The scale length has varied over the years. Believe the current ones are 24.6" but prior to this/last year they were 25.5" which might be even better for those 'cutting cleans' you describe - I can definitely hear the difference between them.

Interesting as I liked idea of  shorter scale (i.e love my Jag) but didn't think it would have an impact on sound. This makes me open to getting a used one too then. 

This might have to happen!
    Whitecat said:

Interesting as I liked idea of  shorter scale (i.e love my Jag) but didn't think it would have an impact on sound. This makes me open to getting a used one too then. 

This might have to happen!
    The Jag is in a weird place where it's actually super twang-jangly despite being super short scale... for me the tonal variations of "regular" short vs "regular" long scale are actually best demonstrated by Gretsch guitars since you can get models that are seemingly otherwise identical other than their scale lengths depending on what model year you end up with. Side-by-side comparisons of same models are never that easy as you have to be lucky to get two of them in a room at the same time but you can compare 'similar' easily enough if you can find a room with a lot of examples.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5790
    edited June 2018
    Your first Gretsch?

They are unlike all the other guitars and really get under your skin. I personally prefer the Annies and Tennys to the more blingy end of the line up. I’m more comfy in jeans and working boots than a tux and diamonds but they all have  that sound and feel. 
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    The recent Gretsch pro lines are simply awesome guitars, I've not seen or played a bad one, my 6122-12 is just dreamy
    The 6119 maybe bottom of the pro range but it's 100% Gretsch and stomps over any Electromatic, which are also getting better.
    My next guitar is a 6118 without bigsby. 
    Ooh, one other thing I noticed - between model years they seem to flip between ebony and rosewood as well as the aforementioned scale length... a detail worth noticing obviously depending on what you look at. Looks to be rosewood currently. My 2013 is ebony.
    dazzajl said:
    Your first Gretsch?
    Yep, it would be and thanks all for encouragement. Might need to sell a few things mind.

One thing I don't want is the painted f-holes as can't get my head round that at all. Rest I'm pretty flexible if it sounds right. Might look around for used too now...
    Helps with feedback,  the 6119 has real ones, AFAIK only the Country Gent 6122 has fake ones. 
    kt66 said:
    Helps with feedback,  the 6119 has real ones, AFAIK only the Country Gent 6122 has fake ones. 
    The 6119-62 has the fake ones too.
    That's not the current model, if you're looking to buy new 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17655
    tFB Trader
    I've got one.

Awesome guitars.
    The neck is fender scale and quite skinny which people don't expect.

The neck is fender scale and quite skinny which people don't expect.
    Thanks for this. Even better. My left hand likes skinny necks which is why my Telecaster is on its way out.