Harley the first of many? Trade tarrif gaff?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    p90fool said:
    I'm not defending Harleys because the new ones are an ugly pastiche of what they used to be like, but sometimes you want a utilitarian, infinitely rebuildable old crate with a bit of soul, for which you can get parts going back to the war within a couple of days anywhere in the world, and will keep chugging along while you enjoy the scenery in a quite appalling state of disrepair. 

Granted that's not why most people buy them, but that's why I rode nothing else for decades. To say a Fireblade or whatever is "better" is to wilfully miss the point. It's only better at arse up, nose down, ignore your surroundings "sport". 
    Yes and No
    Done the '48 FL,Pan and Shovel ........the Evo was a huge improvement in the early 80s......you can only spend so long mopping up oil or sitting by the roadside with a bike that won't go !
    Built a nice bobber which looked the business but despite that I had to ride London to Kettering and it half killed me.....was very pleased to get back onto a Twin Cam 1690 ........you have to make some concession to progress and modernity.
     Too much silly bolt-on chrome shop shit these days but a modern Harley is no more a Pastiche than a modern water cooled Porsche is compared to a1970s 911E with no power steering etc etc.Everything Evolves.
    As it happens I rode a new Milwaukee 8 engine last week .......it's quite a huge a massive step towards being a very conventional modern motorcycle .......I didn't want to like it but it is quick, handles,the brakes really work etc .....quite addictive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7028
    Cols said:
    Trump on Harley Davidson, after they announced ramping up production overseas: "Surprised that Harley-Davidson, of all companies, would be the first to wave the White Flag, I fought hard for them and ultimately they will not pay tariffs selling into the E.U."

Trump on European car manufacturers: "Based on the Tariffs and Trade Barriers long placed on the U.S. and it great companies and workers by the European Union, if these Tariffs and Barriers are not soon broken down and removed, we will be placing a 20% Tariff on all of their cars coming into the U.S. Build them here!”

Can anyone spot the logical disconnect here?
    Is there one? HD are trying to export their product, whereas BMW/Mercs built in the US are not intended for export they are for the home market.
    He's saying that Harley Davidson should build all bikes for export in the States, while BMW/Merc should not build for export in their home countries but should instead set up local factories in the intended market.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    Cols said:
    Cols said:
    Trump on Harley Davidson, after they announced ramping up production overseas: "Surprised that Harley-Davidson, of all companies, would be the first to wave the White Flag, I fought hard for them and ultimately they will not pay tariffs selling into the E.U."

Trump on European car manufacturers: "Based on the Tariffs and Trade Barriers long placed on the U.S. and it great companies and workers by the European Union, if these Tariffs and Barriers are not soon broken down and removed, we will be placing a 20% Tariff on all of their cars coming into the U.S. Build them here!”

Is there one? HD are trying to export their product, whereas BMW/Mercs built in the US are not intended for export they are for the home market.
    He's saying that Harley Davidson should build all bikes for export in the States, while BMW/Merc should not build for export in their home countries but should instead set up local factories in the intended market.
    Yup. The really funny thing is, even if he weren't President, Trump is a shitty businessman, so god knows why anyone would ever listen to him anyway
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2599
    I just wish this were the issue instead of a microscopically significant symptom of it.  The world is heading in a direction that will make it economically poorer and very much more dangerous and even though the vast majority of reasonably intelligent, well-informed and sane people know this nothing seems capable of halting it or even slowing it down.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Cols said:
    Cols said:

OK, got you.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • danodano Frets: 1594
    I read the Tarrif document and it explicitly lists Bourbon Whiskey.  Im quite partial to a decent rye whiskey, quite like Bulliet Rye at the moment so I'm wondering if the bureaucrats will put 25% on that as well?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    dano said:
    I read the Tarrif document and it explicitly lists Bourbon Whiskey.  Im quite partial to a decent rye whiskey, quite like Bulliet Rye at the moment so I'm wondering if the bureaucrats will put 25% on that as well?
    Not sure.

Bourbon comes from Kentucky, which is the state of the Republican leader in one of the houses of congress.  That's why that is on the list.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    well it should at least curtail that silly notion of developing an 'electric' Harley...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>