UK online guitar retailers - best for QC?

What's Hot
Hypothetically speaking (because I'm not ordering anything yet) are there any of the 'big' online guitar stores (Andertons, GAK, Gear4Music etc)  that are better than others for QCing guitars before they go out?

Or any to be avoided?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1658
    Reidys have a process that all online orders "hit the bench" before they are shipped.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462

Judging by the appalling "Gear4Music" own brand guitar that some of our friends bought their son, they don't have much of a process.  The bridge wasn't even in the right place to get it to intonate properly.  I did the best I could with it, but it really was a piece of junk.

Don't use DV247 on principle:

http://theeccentricblog.blogspot.com/2013_05_01_archive.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2959
    I had good experiences buying two guitars from Merchant City Music last year (www.guitar.co.uk). Both arrived well packed, well set up and in tune!
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I have found Coda to be the best.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 668
    Aye. All the box shifters toss em' onto the van without a care in the world. Always budget for a set up afterwards.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5434
    World Guitars, Absolute Music for used and Guitar Village IME are a cut above. 

Coda and Peach are good but I don’t believe they do a full setup unless it’s necessary where as the above definitely do. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3987
    I got a Fender Jaguar from Guitar Village, it had an inspection card and clearly been set up. I later got a Johnny Marr Jaguar from GAK and the box was still sealed from the factory.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    mbe said:
    I have found Coda to be the best.

+1

A friend plays in some silly tuning that requires a mix of gauges.

Coda restrung his new guitar and did a set up for him.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Andertons, Coda and (don't laugh at the back) Richards Guitars.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Project music are also very good
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    IMHO you should always budget for a setup if you are all particular.
    Even the shops listed that do setups will go for a 'one size fits all' type of set up.
    It might be fine, or it might be the opposite of what you like, unless you can specifically ask for a type of setup.

If you just want it to intonate and don't mind about a lower/higher action than you are used to then it is fine.

Best solution is to learn how to do it yourself- it isn't difficult and you need a minimal amount of tools.
    You'll save yourself thousands over your guitar playing life.
    Same goes with making cables up.
  • danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    Fretwired said:
    ...(don't laugh at the back) Richards Guitars.
    Does Richard's Guitars have a poor reputation? I've considered buying from them in the past but never pulled the trigger.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I had to send a guitar back to GuitarVillage as it was awful (clearly nobody had set it up, or looked at it). I even got a call apologising for it and how nobody could understand 'how that could have happened'. So take all the "we check 3 billion times" text with a pinch of salt.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    danowens said:
    Fretwired said:
    Does Richard's Guitars have a poor reputation? I've considered buying from them in the past but never pulled the trigger.
    Here we go..... :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    danowens said:
    Fretwired said:

He's an ex member.

Have a look for yourself...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/profile/2463/RichardsGuitars

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 244
    Project music are also very good
    +1, Project Music did a stunning setup on my Collings i-35 LC.
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Project Music Exeter. The only ones that have ever asked me what setup I want.
    I've used most already mentioned.
  • Whitecat said:
    World Guitars, Absolute Music for used and Guitar Village IME are a cut above. 

Coda and Peach are good but I don’t believe they do a full setup unless it’s necessary where as the above definitely do. 
    we most certainly do! We have a full time tech that checks and sets up every single guitar that goes out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited June 2018
    I have had excellent service when buying a new guitar about 3 years ago from Guitar Village. 

Very pleased with telephone updates between ordering and pickup, because I had to preorder. They asked what strings I wanted and how I wanted the guitar set up before the day, so it was all ready when I arrived. Then they let me have a play if the new guitar before I handed over the money. They were polite in dealing with me. I can wholeheartedly recommend them without hesitation. So if anyone from GV is reading this, thank you. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5389
    I've only got limited experience as I normally go to a shop (and don't buy that much stuff) but:

• Guild Starfire from Guitar Village came very well packaged, with an inspection checklist and played great straight out of the case (only complaint is the case is a bit rubbish, but that's Guild's fault, not GV).
    • Furch acoustic from Richard's Guitars (as above, don't laugh) came very well packaged, with the requested Fishman fitted, and within the stated time frame. However, I had actually traveled up to Richard's to play test it first and spent quite a lot of time with him in the store, and the lead up to that had been a wee bit interesting. He's definitely a character, and I think takes on too much and over-promises at times, so I can see how it could lead to frustration on both sides. Expect a really nice guitar, but achieve some Zen about the process
    • Laney Lionheart from GAK was dreadfully packaged and a bit shaggy about the handle; developed a fault fairly early on and had to go back to Laney, since when was fine for many years until a recent minor blip which can't be laid at GAK's door as I must have had it about 8 years now

I've had assorted odds and ends (pedals, boards, mics, stands etc.) from Andertons (well packaged), GAK (often a bit random) and Gear4Music (usually well-packaged, but their own-brand stuff is very much built down to a price IME and in future I'll be spending the extra for pretty much anything else)