Wireless... Line6 Vs Shure

What's Hot
Afternoon all... I've been using my trusty G30 for around 9 years with no issues whatsoever. I've been looking at some of the new generation Shure and Line 6 units, and there's plenty of conflicting reports on all.

I was wondering what experience anyone here has with the Line 6 G70, Shure GLX D (pedal version). I don't really have any problems with my current system, and may well just get a 2nd transmitter, but I love the tuner/output capabilities of some of the new units. Open to others but must be board friendly. Went down the Smooth Hound route and it wasn't for me! Don't ever need to wander very far, but do like the freedom and gigs range from tiny pubs to festivals of 10,000 or so. Any reports much appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1093
    The other guitarist in the band I'm playing in has the Shure GLXD and its very good. The built in tuner function is useful as it saves having to plug it into another tuner (like I have to do with my G50) causing more signal loss. As he runs a pod its out from the wireless receiver straight into the Guitar In on the pod for a clean signal. There has however been a few crackles and shit the past few shows I don't know if its a dodgy connection or cable somewhere.

Have seen the newer G series wireless by Line 6 but not tried any of them.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Checkout the new Boss wireless gear. Has some unique features.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I can't recommend the Shure GLXD pedal enough. Absolutely brilliant piece of gear!
    Mattie, 21 year old guitarist and teacher at https://mgrmusic.com/guitar-lessons/
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I ‘upgraded’ from the Line6 G30 to G70. Terrible decision. It is inferior in almost every way
    less than half the range and persistent drop out issues
    Im stick with it for now but will be moving again as soon as I can
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    Cabicular said:
    I ‘upgraded’ from the Line6 G30 to G70. Terrible decision. It is inferior in almost every way
    That’s interesting. Both me and the bass player both use g70s with no problems at all. We did get into the habit of scanning for the best frequencies which does help if there’s a lot of WiFi about. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• @rossyamaha How would you rate the quality of the DI output, in relation to Radial/orchid etc? Looking to use for Upright bass!
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    what was it you didn't like about the smoothhound?
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    I have one of the Audio Technica Digital Systems - System 10 thingy - Andertons had them on offer - down from 400ish to just over 150.

Brilliant unit, no dropouts, pedal is bombproof, pack just as good, a bit battery hungry but I've always used rechargeables so no concerns for me there.

Also used a Shure one for a while and I can;t see a massive improvement in quality or robustness between the 2.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    @rossyamaha How would you rate the quality of the DI output, in relation to Radial/orchid etc? Looking to use for Upright bass!
    Never used it personally but will be doing in my new rig. Spec wise it's pretty good. 128db of dynamic range which is slightly less than the Radial JDI but a good bit more than the J48. You obviously have some tonal tweakage with the cable length as well. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

Cabicular said:
    That’s interesting. Both me and the bass player both use g70s with no problems at all. We did get into the habit of scanning for the best frequencies which does help if there’s a lot of WiFi about. 
    I get mixed results with that
    it helps but as the pub gets busier or something happens during the night it starts flashing red and then will drop out
    the range is NOWHERE near the G30 even in the ‘wander round the house’ test.
    also I’ve NEVER had a dropout with the G30 in using them for 5 plus years 4 gigs a week (and that has no ability to scan for Wi-fi) so why is it ok and he G70 not
    This thing is every 3rd or 4th gig
    and it’s not a duff unit (or unlikely) as I’ve got 3 transmitters and 2 receivers and it is the same with them all.
    Something has fundamentally changed in the type of signal they use between the g70 and the g30 and not for the better
    Im really dissatisfied with it but I have a lot of it so I have to live with it for now
  • @Cabicular have you updated the software on your units? Apparently they made a big change...

• sgosden said:
    what was it you didn't like about the smoothhound?
    I found the form of both transmitter and receiver just not as practical as my G30 to be honest! A friend has had dropout issues too.
    @Cabicular have you updated the software on your units? Apparently they made a big change...
    Yup
    stick with the G30
    i wish I had never moved
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I use my Shure glx16 all the time. Absolutely no problem at all. I bought it mainly for the handiness of it sitting on my board and doubled as a tuner. :) expensive but get one :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/