Gibson ES Les Pauls - good or dud?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    Iamnobody said:
    impmann said:
    Richard Hawley uses his *a lot*
    His is the LP-295 with a florentine cutaway and no f-holes. Very Nice.

It’s actually the f-holes I don’t really like the aesthetics of on ES-Paul’s. It just looks wrong so the LP-295 gets my vote. If you can find one.

http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/gotm/lespaullp-295goldtop/

Ah, yes. I agree with you about the looks.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Hattigol said:
    Cabicular said:
    They don’t sound as dense or have Les Paul type sustain
    but they are nice guitars
    more Gretsch than Gibson I would say
    I have 2 which is usually a good sign 
    2? Come on, show us....
    https://flic.kr/p/DKP3MW
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5058
    Hattigol said:
    Just why, imho...
    A guitar with potentially the benefits of both worlds?
    So why not imho...?
    I suppose in my vintage-obsessed opinion a Les Paul can’t be improved upon, and nor can a 335 except by making it a bit smaller, like a 339! Although actually I think the 339 is a little bit too small as the cutaway impedes your fretting fingers when you’re playing the high frets - it did with me anyway.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463
    Not surprising if it doesn't sound or sustain like a LP if they're this hollow.

Not seen that before.  Doesn't surprise me though.  Like I said above it sounds more "hollow" than my old ES339.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    crunchman said:
    Not seen that before.  Doesn't surprise me though.  Like I said above it sounds more "hollow" than my old ES339.
    Yeah, other than shape there's very little in common with a normal LP body. And I assume the top and back are maple laminate?

Yeah, other than shape there's very little in common with a normal LP body. And I assume the top and back are maple laminate?

Yes they are as far as I know.  The top is anyway looking at the edge of the f holes on mine.

If you want a semi hollow sound in a smaller body than a 335 then this is better than the 339 for my money.  I'm pretty sure that the 339 has a much bigger centre block, and with the hollow part of the body being much smaller than a 335 it sounds more "solid" for want of a better term.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    This has been educational! I always thought the ES Les Paul was a faux semi hollow...in that, the only hollow part was under the f-hole...and I always thought “why would they do that?”...but reconciled by thinking there must some people out there who like the aesthetics of f-holes on their les Pauls
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5673
    I have the Alex Lifeson ES LP, it's a great instrument....... BUT.... IMHO the only thing it really shares with a Les Paul is the shape, almost everything else is very different.  Sounds really cool though, I'm loving it.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I have to say that having played a few 339s, the lack of much in the way of hollowness did out me off them a little. Odd that these should have so much more in the way of 'air' inside them but I'm guessing they will be a fair bit brighter acoustically as a result.

I'm thinking that they could have made that centre block a little wider though for sustain purposes.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Mine doesn't seem to lack sustain.
  • I had one, sold it last week.  Personally, I loved it...as others have said its more akin to a 335 than a LP.  From memory they have different pickups than the usual LP options...I just cant remember which.  Bought a Gretsch Double Anniversary and for the amount I play a semi-hollow it wasn't justifiable to keep both.  If money allowed I wouldn't hesitate to get another (probably a gold top).  If I only could have one LP, I wouldnt make it an ES, but otherwise its a great alternative for something that has a distinctly different sound and feel but a similar look and vibe.