School me on Reverend guitars

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
I'm on the search for a new guitar and Reverend seem to provide something unique, variations on classic designs, at a great price too! Just wondering what the general consensus is on these guitars? Are the components decent quality? How does the fit and finish compare to other similarly-priced offerings? I'm looking for something tele-ish. Which model would you recommend?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    I love them. Fantastic value, generally great quality hardware and the bass contour control makes them terrifically versatile.

They actually do a Tele, the Eastsider. 

The Rick Vito signature I have is genuinely one of the best guitars I've ever owned. Holds its own with some pretty high-end stuff

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33821
    edited June 2018
    Well made, interestingly conceived guitars that punch above their weight and look cool.

People rave about the formica (I think) USA originals but I've never played one.
    The Far East guitars I've had several of.

Fit and finish is not up their with the best of the best but they are cheaper than those instruments.

Buy used and they can be a bargain.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5789
    edited June 2018
    The biggest thing I could say about Reverends is play before you buy. Every one I’ve played has been high quality and well put together but some have been thrilling and some completely lifeless. 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962
    Bought my first Reverend in January 2017, ordered another one in March... Since then it's probably been my most played guitar, despite some stiff competition from guitars two to three times the price. So yes, great value and very versatile. :)
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I tried a Tele looking thing. Didn't sound like s Tele. Had a great neck and sounded great nonetheless.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    On my 4th and apart from recent Steinberger GAS a fifth will be incoming in the new year. I love the bloody things, great hardware and necks and quirky without being too silly
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    I've been lusting after their triple-P90 flying V for ages, seem to be very hard to find outside the US.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1211
    johnl said:
    I've been lusting after their triple-P90 flying V for ages, seem to be very hard to find outside the US.
    They have one available to order here: https://www.andertons.co.uk/reverend-ron-asheton-ash-guitar-in-rock-orange
    Link to my trading feedback
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    I have an RG2 which I think is great, though I tried a few that weren’t. I had a Spacehawk for a few days that I returned due to some finish quality issues. 

I think they can be excellent and they can be average so worth trying before buying.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    octatonic said:
    Well made, interestingly conceived guitars that punch above their weight and look cool.

People rave about the formica (I think) USA originals but I've never played one.

Fit and finish is not up their with the best of the best but they are cheaper than those instruments.

They made US as well as far eastern guitars for quite a few years, IIRC, and valve amps and pedals ( which sort of live on in the Truetone Garagetone range). But there was rarely any U.K. distribution and the business has been only far eastern guitars for the last few years. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962
    octatonic said:

They made US as well as far eastern guitars for quite a few years, IIRC, and valve amps and pedals ( which sort of live on in the Truetone Garagetone range). But there was rarely any U.K. distribution and the business has been only far eastern guitars for the last few years. 
    As I understand it, the switch was quite rapid, around 2006/7, and production has come from S. Korea since then, I think it's always been Mirr, but I could be wrong. All guitars go through their HQ in the states, and get thoroughly checked out, with the final inspection usually done by Zach Green, who initials the back of the headstock. I've no doubt that helps them to maintain a higher than average QC. There's also an advantage in being a small company - you can go to the Reverend forums and end up in a conversation with Ken Haas, who (along with his wife) bought Reverend in 2010. I've found him really helpful. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7914
    The PA-1 is an excellent guitar.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2356
    johnl said:
    They have one available to order here: https://www.andertons.co.uk/reverend-ron-asheton-ash-guitar-in-rock-orange

I got one used from Coda for £299 two or three years ago but couldn't get on with the V body shape at the time so sent it back.

I don't think I've ever kicked myself so much since for letting a guitar go, it was fabulous, even more so at that price.