Paul McCartney on Carpool Karaoke. If you didn't see it, do. Absolutely heartwarming.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    prowla said:
    Since when were people not allowed to be rich? FFS - of course he’s rich - he’s the most successful song-writer ever. 

Bizarre how some people can find the negative in anything....
    And he's rich because lots of people chose to buy his music.
    Yes, and making money from music seems to be a benign activity. I can't see many negative consequences.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    edited June 2018
    JAYJO said:
    KKJale said:

Let me get that for you....

"Paul McCartney has supported the following charities listed on this site:

Yet still violently rich....
    He was born violently rich so i dont see why he should give it up.. Did you not notice the in house bog!. The other arf of liverpool were running down the yard with a piece of lit echo news paper to see were they're going and another piece to wipe their backside. 

Just an FYI because my nan lived 4 doors down - the inside toilets in Forthlin Rd were put in after the build and there were still outdoor toilets replete with spiders and the smell of carbolic soap when i was visiting in the 70s/80s 
    So maybe he did poo outside in his very early years?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Samgb said:
    JAYJO said:
    KKJale said:

Let me get that for you....

"Paul McCartney has supported the following charities listed on this site:

Yet still violently rich....
    He was born violently rich so i dont see why he should give it up.. Did you not notice the in house bog!. The other arf of liverpool were running down the yard with a piece of lit echo news paper to see were they're going and another piece to wipe their backside. 

Just an FYI because my nan lived 4 doors down - the inside toilets in Forthlin Rd were put in after the build and there were still outdoor toilets replete with spiders and the smell of carbolic soap when i was visiting in the 70s/80s 
    So maybe he did poo outside in his very early years?
    you may be correct a lot of houses had both. My nans house 2 beds. Had a tin bath in the kitchen behind a curtain.8 kids and a mangle lol .
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24331
    What an utter bastard McCartney is.  He's earned all that money and he hasn't given it all away to starving children like Niallseroreilly obviously does with his wages every month.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    edited June 2018
    I like that, he comes across so well, really happy to be there and down to earth.

Another one though for the "cannot stand JC trying to sing over whoever is in the car" camp though, which is a shame as he was really good in Fat Friends, bit too egotistical for me now.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12355
    edited June 2018
    I like Corden he seems to be enthusiastic in a “how the fuck did I get here” kind of way. I understand people not liking his gushing demeanour though. Maybe some have never forgiven him for insulting Picard.

As for the one crying about Macca being rich, so what he’s made it to the top of his chosen profession, would you not expect financial reward for that?

you don’t hear many stories about him being a Cnut. He’s always wanted his kids to make it on their own and allegedly is a bit tight with the handouts to his kids but that’s how he should be. Other than Stella his others seem to live pretty much anonymously not like other celeb kids making tits if themselves and becoming addicts. That’s good parental grounding at work.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11787
    edited June 2018
    Tone71 said:
    Another one though for the "cannot stand JC trying to sing over whoever is in the car" camp though, which is a shame as he was really good in Fat Friends, bit too egotistical for me now.
    Corden's weakness is his ego, he has had some serious run-ins with other "slebs" in the past based on it, including one horrific one with a pissed up Patrick Stewart (which Stewart caused by being rude, as he was drunk, but JC dealt with it really badly).

Unrelated to the above quote...

McCartney bashing is one thing which makes me genuinely cross, especially the pig-ignorant "Lennon was the talented one" crap.  The Beatles were the Beatles because they had THREE exceptional talents, each of which could have been the talent behind a successful band, at the top of their powers, at the same time, during the greatest social upheaval in British history, alongside some of the greatest talents in pop history working at the same time for them to bounce off.

Hasn't happened since, probably won't happen again, wouldn't have happened at all without Macca most likely.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Just watched the Corden Stewart thing on YouTube, Stewart was an absolute dick, the only one that came out of that badly was Stewart, that was shocking not only in its nastiness but also in its complete lack of humour.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    underdog said:
    Just watched the Corden Stewart thing on YouTube, Stewart was an absolute dick, the only one that came out of that badly was Stewart, that was shocking not only in its nastiness but also in its complete lack of humour.
    Just watched it too..

I don't like Cordon, and i do love Stewart.. but you're right it's Stewart who comes across as a dick.. There must me more to it as there was apparently a massive backlash against JC?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11787
    LuttiS said:
    underdog said:
    Just watched it too..

I don't like Cordon, and i do love Stewart.. but you're right it's Stewart who comes across as a dick.. There must me more to it as there was apparently a massive backlash against JC?
    There wasn't much backlash against Corden really, his career has gone to the stratosphere since then, but professionally speaking getting as cross as he does and essentially squaring up to Stewart is no doubt something he regrets a bit.

The correct way to deal with it would have been to show an amused frustration, or to make witty quips back, then he could get cross when he went off-stage.

Stewart is one of the worst piss-artists in Hollywood, I love the man but he was in the wrong with Corden there.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Kilgore said:
    prowla said:
    Since when were people not allowed to be rich? FFS - of course he’s rich - he’s the most successful song-writer ever. 

Bizarre how some people can find the negative in anything....
    And he's rich because lots of people chose to buy his music.
    Yes, and making money from music seems to be a benign activity. I can't see many negative consequences.
    Precisely - he's brought more enjoyment into my life than the cost of his items I've bought (including the Beatles stereo CD box-set).
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4833
    edited June 2018
    Great post @vale , hadn't seen this and it is just massively heart warming. like others have said I welled up too. The Beatles are my youth, my teens, and my adulthood. My Dad was huge fan, as was my Auntie (who saw them the night Kennedy got shot in Stockton On Tees, Nov 63) so they just reference every stage of my life. Their music is now just woven into the fabric of everyday life, probably more than anyone elses.

It was Mark Everett of Eels fame who said:

“Kids know what's going on. They always respond to The Beatles, for instance. Doesn't matter when they were born, they always seem to respond. Show me a kid who innately doesn't like The Beatles, and I'll show you a bad seed.”  I think he's right, if you don't like at least a small bit of their output there's clearly something wrong with you!

He's right as well I think, if you don't like something in their cannon there is clearly something wrong with you!

I knew there would be some negative rubbish appear in the thread, I don't get all the McCartney hatred at all. It's like kicking a puppy, I blame Lennon to be honest, whom I love dearly, but he decided to deride him all those years ago and it stuck. Lennon was the nasty one out of the two of them, seemed to get a kick out of it at times in fact from reading various stuff over the years. It's understandable given some of what he went through, and I think he slowly began to redeem himself once Sean was born. It's a shame he was taken from us just as that was happening. Paul has always seemed genuine to me on the otherhand, his charity work is stellar, and lets face it he is the real "working class hero" John grew up in middle class surburbia. I'm amazed how little fame has changed him, even the little snippets you read like from Keef's bio suggest a down to earth normal guy, messed up with his crazy partner!!

F*** all those who just want to rail at the guy, bet you wish you'd written all those classic hits, toured the world, and reaped the rewards. Jealousy is a poor trait, all them guys worked damn hard for their place in the music world and they deserve it. If any star made it that big now they'd be f**cked up in weeks and writing a sob story from rehab. Paul is a legend as are the other 3, and you got it wrong above, The Beatles were 4 exceptional talents, Ringo is a much a necessary part as the others, no RIngo no Beatles!!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018

I think it’s really interesting (& sad obviously) that both Paul & John’s mothers died when they were teenagers. But I think (for all I know, I have read a few beatles biographies) they responded to it in totally opposite ways, & that defined their whole lives from then on

Paul accepted it & moved on & worked what he learned from it into his future relationships. perhaps holding people closer for it. The awareness that people we love die so it is healthy to always try to make the most of your time with them while you can.

Whereas John really struggled to accept it for decades, & his not being able to process it & having to carry that anger with him everywhere made him quite an unhappy person in himself & often quite an unpleasant person around others (not his fault exactly, just a different more confused person).

That’s what I got from the video too. When he talks about Let it Be. His mother was called Mary (I used to think it was about a nun called Mother Mary when I was little, so funny).
    He was obviously still carrying anger & confusion & despair & all the heavy stuff that goes with bereavement when you are too young to really be able to deal with it (but it haunts your subconscious). & his mum came to him in a dream (the theatre of the subconscious, where we dramatise our fears to work through them safely) & told him to let it be.
    She knows he still loves her & he still thinks about her, & she loves him too. but he has to live on.

And when James is talking about his granddad not being here & Paul says he is. Because James carrying his granddad’s memories & images & words around with means his granddad is always with him.

I think Paul has absolute faith in people & love & life. it’s nothing to do with any formal religion, just pure faith in life. & I think it comes from his mum dying.

his starting point for how he lives his life is ‘everyone dies & I will too… so how do I want to live my life?' I can make it an adventure full of love, or a prison.

& maybe his art is being able to get that faith & love of life into what he does. to wrap it up into little song packages to share around. even in this short video. the little things he says & does. & his joy.

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    ^^ Fabulous.  I really enjoy reading your posts, vale, whatever the topic - thank you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24808
    Nitefly said:
    ^^ Fabulous.  I really enjoy reading your posts, vale, whatever the topic - thank you!
    I agree - you’re a breath of fresh air @Vale
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Truly heartwarming stuff.