Was 2008 a good or bad year?

What's Hot
fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4120
For Gibson les pauls.?

Asking for a friend. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    Ahh ,thought we were talking about the venerable wines of Bordeaux ; was a good year for Chateau Haut Brion according to Parker's last tasting notes .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited June 2018
    I think I lost my virginity that year.

Which rallied the guys at the Gibson plant, they were pleased for me.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27160
    edited June 2018
    I don't think it was especially good or bad (compared with any other single year between 1990 and now, apart from 2015, and to an extent 2014)

But worth noting 2008 was the first year they started experimenting with the spec on the Standard, deviating from the 2002-2007 Standard spec (roughly equivalent to the post-2008 Traditional), and included the asymmetrical neck profile, locking jack socket, PCB control wiring, locking tuners, bridge and tailpiece, and probably some other unnecessary guff I've forgotten.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    There's good and bad in every year - especially with LPs. Mine's from 95 which isn't a massively well regarded year but I love it dearly.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited June 2018
    Every guitar they made in January was rubbish, Feb they improved, March they hit their stride, April is where you should look, May were good, not sure what happened in June, July were awful, August everyone went to the beach, September back on track, October they slipped up, November no one cared and December, well just don't go there ;-)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    The vanilla smell in the case will long since be gone if it’s a 2008.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    England didn't make the euros in 2008 and it was the collapse year which lead to the global recession.  Therefore Gibson employees may have been depressed and not had so much eye for detail, conversely they may have worked harder witnessing large scale job losses. Tough call.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Pre 2012 Historics are good value for money IMO.

A 2008 Historic does not have the celluloid inlays, or the naked truss rod, or the hide glue. And it has the Burstbucker 1 and 2 set. 
    Quality celluloid inlays look great and the best available are not expensive. (£50 from crazy parts). That is the main upgrade that would be on my mind. 
    Burstbuckers are great, versatile pickups  and flatter the Historic Les Pauls IMO.

The Fijian Mahogany back did not arrive until 2012, so the average weight of a 2008 Historic will be a bit higher. But should be no problem finding one around 9lbs or just under.

Most important of all......they were churning these out in huge numbers. 2013 onwards are seen as more desirable and have a price premium. So if you buy a 2008 R7 or R8,  bargain hard.
    I sold my (mint) 2007 R8 in the Classifieds for £1650.