Losing a stone

What's Hot

Comments

• westwest Frets: 996
    CloudNine said:
    Replacing carbs with amphetamines will see quickest results.
    And ephedrine ftw ....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Garthy said:
    Become a vegan and make sure you tell everyone.
    Don’t worry - he will!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28239
    usedtobe said:
    Garthy said:
    Don’t worry - he will!
    Thanks, Ted, that was the joke. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Consistency is the key.
    Alter your food intake to a more balanced approach and stick to it, no exercise needed provided you keep it up.  
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Works without exercise and no hunger if you give it 7 - 14 days. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/126019/cutting-out-sugar/p1
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited June 2018
    All this fasting stuff seems a bit silly to me as well, will you really stick to that forever? Everyone I know who has tried such diets has slipped back to their old ways. I guess it might be different with a specific goal of 1 stone to lose but as someone who had a shit load of weight to lose it was all about the cliche but true lifestyle and eating habits change for me. Then, different things work for different people, but my weight has remained consistent for the past 5 years or so since I got down to my ideal just by changing portions and not eating/drinking crap all the time. I don't really have restrictions on what types of food I eat, I just know to keep calories under a certain limit and compensate for unhealthier meals by making sure the rest of the meals in the day are lower in calories. And force myself to do some exercise on those days :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16678
    Sporky said:
    usedtobe said:
    Garthy said:
    Don’t worry - he will!
    Thanks, Ted, that was the joke. 
    TBF I think there is a lot of merit in having a few vegan/veggie days in the week, especially if you cook it all yourself.  It doesn’t mean you have to go all militant with it.

its a nice way of learning to cook in a healthier way, and gives more options to add to your normal meals.

You can reduce the meat down without removing it altogether, and stealing some ideas from the vegans is a good way to go

i have a craving for Aduki bean burgers at the mo....

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    TTBZ said:
    All this fasting stuff seems a bit silly to me as well, will you really stick to that forever? Everyone I know who has tried such diets has slipped back to their old ways.
    There's a couple of different points in what you've said:  One is about fasting; the other is about behavioural change.
    Regardless of a goal of weight reduction I've been looking at the evidence for what happens during fasting.  There's impressive evidence that it is positive with regard to type 2 diabetes -- and at the moment that's controversial because it's contra to standard advice.  But I'm swayed.  There's also interesting evidence that the gut's biome changes significantly with fasting and that the new flora don't produce nearly so many of the products associated with chronic inflammation.  Again, it's interesting if not conclusive and long-term studies are going to be required and then assessed for whether this has any clinical effect.  My hunch (totally formed in the absence of long-term evidence!) is that fasting will be (a) harmless; (b) positively beneficial for some people. 

The other point is about behavioural change.  As a general rule what tends to happen is that people don't get rid of old habits, they overlay them with newer ones.  You'll see reversion to old habits when the new ones hit some kind of challenge.  Pre-empting those challenges can go a long way to dealing with them when they arise.  We are incredibly rule-governed so it makes a lot of sense to set up some "rules" in advance which you follow when the challenge arises.

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    It's really not as simple as calories in / calories out. If it were people would not get larger in middle age when they often eat less than they did in their 20s and 30s. 

One of the issues with the modern diet is insulin resistance, which leads to T2 diabetes (which used to be known as sugar diabetes until it became widespread). 

I've been on a low carb high fat (healthy fat) 'diet' for over four months now and would not go back to the -bread / pasta / rice / sugar - western diet. 

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    Grunfeld said:
    TTBZ said:
    All this fasting stuff seems a bit silly to me as well, will you really stick to that forever? Everyone I know who has tried such diets has slipped back to their old ways.
    There's a couple of different points in what you've said:  One is about fasting; the other is about behavioural change.
    Regardless of a goal of weight reduction I've been looking at the evidence for what happens during fasting.  There's impressive evidence that it is positive with regard to type 2 diabetes -- and at the moment that's controversial because it's contra to standard advice.  But I'm swayed.  There's also interesting evidence that the gut's biome changes significantly with fasting and that the new flora don't produce nearly so many of the products associated with chronic inflammation.  Again, it's interesting if not conclusive and long-term studies are going to be required and then assessed for whether this has any clinical effect.  My hunch (totally formed in the absence of long-term evidence!) is that fasting will be (a) harmless; (b) positively beneficial for some people. 

The other point is about behavioural change.  As a general rule what tends to happen is that people don't get rid of old habits, they overlay them with newer ones.  You'll see reversion to old habits when the new ones hit some kind of challenge.  Pre-empting those challenges can go a long way to dealing with them when they arise.  We are incredibly rule-governed so it makes a lot of sense to set up some "rules" in advance which you follow when the challenge arises.

This. If you think about fasting was enforced many millennia ago. Day 1 find a brontosaurus and eat it. Don't find another brontosaurus until day 25
  • westwest Frets: 996
    At last good info from grun + feungi ...!    heres a bit about blue light at night melatonin and insulin resistance  https://www.chronobiology.com/new-study-delves-blue-light-affects-metabolism/ ; ... so using these devices / things at night is not good unless you abstain / block or filter  actually light is fundamental , look at the nobel wining  papers ( on circadian rhythm / biology ) it beats all concepts of food /macros ) 

if you have to use phone /laptop/ pc etc at night   get iris its free app and it also deals with flicker which is a big deal too ( remember strobe lights and epilepsy ? )  
    https://iristech.co/

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    TTBZ said:
    All this fasting stuff seems a bit silly to me as well, will you really stick to that forever? 

Funny thing is we've not evolved to have 3 square meals a day, healthy or otherwise.  For our biology I think being constantly fed and never really hungry is probably silly, it's supposed to be a cycle of hunger and feeding.  Like I said above, I already eat healthily but fasting for short periods occasionally I find beneficial.

Ultimately lifestyle needs to be addressed if that is your problem, but it doesn't make fasting a bad thing, especially considering the benefits that are being associated with fasting, such as reversing insulin resistance and increasing HGH.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    edited July 2018

The thing with diet, weight loss, lifestyle change etc etc is that it's become a "thing" - an internet babble topic, a marketing tool and a soapbox subject. It's become massively over complicated and is a great subject to base scientific funding or a book around. Hence at any given time you can find "evidence" to support each and every fad or theory you can imagine.

For instance - carbs are bad, or no they are good. Fat is bad, or no you need to eat fat to burn fat. BREAD IS THE DEVIL!!!! And on it goes.

If bread is so bad, how come we've been eating it for millennia?? Bread isn't bad, its great. Eating loads of crap nasty cheap bread isn't the best thing to do, but a bit of bread in a balanced diet is fine.

Carbs aren't bad at all. Carbs are good for you. So is fat. The problems start when you over eat any particular food.

Fruit diet - bad. Loads of sugar, and your guts will turn into Chernobyl.

In my experience the way to manage your weight and more importantly your health is to do the bleeding obvious things:

Eat a varied diet,

Cook fresh

Save takeaways, cake, biscuits, booze and that for treats - they aren't things that you should be eating as a matter of course really.

Don't eat meat with every meal - we don't need to, and it knackers you up if you do. Eat good meat and fish. not the cheap mass produced stuff. If the good stuff is too expensive, just eat less of it, and eat more veg.

Drink water, not sugary drinks. Worst drink? Energy drinks - pure crap in a can. Tooth rot and gut rot

move around a bit. We've got bodies that are good at moving and doing stuff, so don't let it seize up.

Don't obsess about it - take and interest in and enjoy good fresh food.

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited July 2018
    Never wash you're hands, Ever. You'll shit-yourself-thin in no time. :)

Otherwise, I'm all for the sensible ones mentioned above... eat less of the same stuff and move more, cutting down on worst offenders like bread, fry-ups, booze and chips.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    No even a mention of Brian Jones  :o
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    Freebird said:
    No even a mention of Brian Jones  :o

I tried The Swimming Pool Diet, but it just made me bloated.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    RMJ said:
    Grunfeld said:
    RMJ said:

That said, I see the 5:2 as wholly sustainable long term
    What do 6ou typically eat on your fasting days?
    Intermittent Fasting (IF) is getting a nice body of evidence to support it -- so sustainability looks unproblematic at the moment but I guess to be fair the really long term info isn't there.  My hunch is that it will be okay.

And @RMJ I've opted for the 16:8 version as detailed in that book I mentioned.  No particular advantages other than it immediately appealed to me most of the three types of IF described.  So basically I eat what I want in the 8 hour window.  Obviously if you apply the eating version of Rule 1 ("don't eat like a dick") then you get faster results.  That said, I definitely had a few beers in June and I still lost a stone. 
    Just looked up the 16:8...looks very manageable actually. I could easily eat between 10am and 6pm and that's it. Think I'll give that a go
    I've just started this - thanks for the heads-up about it :)
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    RMJ said:
    I want to lose at least a stone in weight. Work and kids mean I struggle to carve out a consistent amount of time a day to exercise, so it tends to be hit and miss e.g. an hour bike ride once a week. I dont currently overload on calories but my diet could be better.

Anyone gone through any planned weight loss recently in similar circumstances want to share how they did it?
    I had to cut down on bad food last year, as I had to get my gallbladder removed (gallstones). I lost about 10KG over 6 or 7 months, mainly down to changing my diet.
    I cut out food with palm oil, and granted, my lady friend helped a lot too with good food. That meant I cut out most chocolate, crisps, yoghurts, bread etc, as nearly everything has palm oil. I ate a lot more freshly cooked food, homemade soups, stews, salads, porridge etc. Fruit, fruit smoothies. 
    I was able to not go hungry and satisfy my sweet cravings. Since the operation, I've fallen off the wagon and gained around 5KG, but it can be done with very little exercise.
    The hardest part for me is will power and discipline, and I'm still falling off the wagon every other week.
    I also cut out booze.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Thought I'd update this to document progress 

I started doing intermittent fasting diets which worked for a while but I soon lapsed due to life getting in the way e.g. kids bath times pushing me to eat during fasting periods. Whilst I was doing it though I felt great! More alert, lighter etc.

Since creating this thread I have cut out a large proportion of shit foods from my diet. I haven't eaten crisps, chocolate, cakes etc and I don't snack between meals. There have been the odd bumps e.g. if people come round I may have the odd beer.

Anyway, I stepped on the scales this morning and was just a bit over 12.5 stone. I dont know exactly where I was when I started but I must have been at or close to 13st. 

I feel loads better for it already. 

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5378
    Good work!  If you can keep it up and ditch the old crap habits, you'll end up settling at a sensible weight.

My problem is too much will power and not enough won't power when it comes to snacks and comfort food :)