Baritone Shmaritone...

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1389
I have a Squeir Jazzmaster baritone and tyre kicking at upgrading / changing guitar.

I had toyed with the idea of upgrading the nut and pickups etc, but the money I’d spend on the upgrades, I’d be best off selling and getting another one.
There doesn’t seem to be a huge amount of options on the lower end of things, no pun intended.

There’s the ESP Ltd Viper baritone, which looks tempting, the Chapman, which is too rawk for my liking. Danos have the same bridge as the Jazzmaster.

After that there’s a jump in price up to the likes of Reverends, Hagstroms and so on.
I am surprised Fender have not come out with mid range models seeing as they have loads of variations of other models.
I have no idea what the Schecters are like.
Heard mixed reports on the Gretsch baritone as well.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14501
    edited June 2018
    Shoot HarrySeven a PM. He has owned baritone instruments from the forum bicycle Harley-Benton Mosrite-alike to Squiers similar to yours to the Burns Barracuda and, very probably, yer actual Fender Bass VI.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28508
    If you can find an Ibanez MMM1, they're superb.

If your can't find one they're still superb  
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1389
    Sporky said:
    If you can find an Ibanez MMM1, they're superb.

If your can't find one they're still superb  
    They look great ! There’s a current Ibanez baritone too but not sure if it’s pure metal focused !
    Shoot HarrySeven a PM. He has owned baritone instruments from the forum bicycle Harley-Benton Mosrite-alike to Squiers similar to yours to the Burns Barracuda and, very probably, yer actual Fender Bass VI.
    I will do. Thanks !
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    If you want to go a bit deeper...

Ibanez SRC6

Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    There's also an Ibanez RG / Iron Label one, which looks geared towards the metal heads, but no doubting it would play well. (I'd stick humbucker sized P90s into it anyhow if I had one) 
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    I have a Japanese Jaguar Baritone ala: https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-jaguar-baritone-special-hh/34966

If you can find one, they are great. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    If you're looking for a Baritone there's only one model 

BOTTOM MASTER.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/3205371-fender-japan-jaguar-bottom-master-jgb-95sfz-3-tone-sunburst

Who knows if it's the best Baritone out there but what it does have is that it's called BOTTOM MASTER. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Trotter said:
    I have a Japanese Jaguar Baritone ala: https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-jaguar-baritone-special-hh/34966

If you can find one, they are great. 
    A beauty!
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited June 2018

Who knows if it's the best Baritone out there but what it does have is that it's called BOTTOM MASTER. 
    That must have got lost in translation somewhere along the line.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14501
    No Treble.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DPCDPC Frets: 55
    I have a Mexican Baritone Telecaster and it is superb - build quality is exceptional. They don't make them anymore but if one pops up second-hand they're well worth the money. I changed the bridge pup to a Bareknuckle Impulse though, because the stock pickups are fairly mediocre 
    edited June 2018
    The blacktop? Yeah, they look pretty good too. 
    The only other option I have is to pick up a MIM tele and get a conversion neck, but would I be that different to what I have currently. I'm not so sure...

A friend of a friend built me a tele baritone a few years ago based on the specs of the blacktop tele but I sold it on, as there were one or two design flaws, down to the fact it was his first guitar.

The scale length was lovely, and much better/comfortable than the longer Jazzmaster baritone I have now.

27 inch I think. (I wonder would a conversion neck work on a regular tele, with scale length etc...)

Anyone ever played the Viper baritones? Passive pickups, looks ideal for p90 replacements! 27 inch scale as well.
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    I have one of these.  Great guitars and build; p/ups a bit weak and were replaced with SD Jaguar hot (Bridge) SD Jaguar regular (neck)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Jaguar_Baritone_Custom
    You have the Jaguar or Tele?