Neck shim formulae ??

What's Hot
wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 260
edited June 2018 in Guitar
need to lower the action on my mex jaguar by 0.3 MM. at the twelfth fret as there is no downward adj on the bridge a shim in the neck pocket would seem to be the answer ( neck relief is fine). I would like to get it right fist time if possible so anyone have a guide to thickness req to achieve this. Searched the forum & found many have used this method but can't find a link to shim thickness relating to amount of action drop, thanks, Mike 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27160
    If you want lower action then any shim thicker than the amount of action change you want should achieve it. A couple of layers of cornflake packet is my standard shim of choice. Just at the bridge-end of the neck pocket.

You may even need to raise the bridge after that, which is generally a good thing for Jags.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    It actually makes Bugger all difference, if the shim is too thick then you can adjust the bridge saddles and luxuriate in the feel of a fender with a little back angle on the neck
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    0.3mm is pretty precise. :o

TBH, I'd shove a single layer shim made of a piece cut from the outer packaging of d'addarrio strings (my usual source), bolt it back together and try again. If you need more than that, you can try two... but I'd advise not to put too much more in there, as you start getting gaps appearing under the neck and in my experience it all starts to feel a bit wobbly.

If you need more than that, then I'd suggest there's something wrong and we'd probably need some pics.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    can you notice 0.3mm of difference in a guitars action?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    1 piece of string packet will get you more than 0.3mm
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    John_A said:
    1 piece of string packet will get you more than 0.3mm
    Indeed!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I knew a bloke who used Rizla packets and then complained that he never had enough roach ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72520
    Neck shim formula:

Small action reduction - one piece of business card.
    Medium action reduction - one piece of cornflake packet.
    Large action reduction - one piece of photographer's mounting card.

Anything more accurate than that will need to be fine-tuned with the bridge anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 260
    Thanks guys, cornflake packet it is then, that should give me plenty of bridge adj to get where I want.