Men's Shirts - a Minor Whinge

What's Hot

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12329
    edited June 2018
    Well I have made by the tailor to the Sultan of Brunei. I wear them once and then just throw them away.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22873
    Well I have made by the tailor to the Sultan of Brunei. I wear them once and then just throw them away.
    I met a bloke who actually was a tailor for the Sultan of Brunei.  He said he believed he was "the only white man who'd been alone in a room with the Sultan".  Which sounded a bit weird.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited June 2018
    stonevibe said:
    I get my shirts made at the tailor when I order my suits. That way they fit perfectly and I know I won't have to trawl through men shirt section in shops, which I abhor. 

Tailoring isn't exactly expensive and you can get a good quality shirt for around £100 or so.
    I still can't get to grips with £100 per shirt, however good they may be. There are much better things to spend a grand on for me.

The minimum number of shirts I can get away with is 10, so I can't be happy with the idea of paying £1000 just to enable me to go to work. Plus you wouldn't wear a £40 suit with a £100 shirt, so there's another grand getting a few nice suits, plus shoes. 

I don't mind my job but I'm not paying £2500 per year just to clothe myself for it!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28241
    edited June 2018
    So use Tailorstore or similar - made to measure from £49.

Though I think it's a total non-sequitur that you'd need to change your suits and shoes every year just because you've got shirts that fit. All of this stuff will last several/many years, and you can get a made-to-measure suit for £400 and decent shoes for under a ton. If your suits fit and look fine then why change them at all? 

There's a "30% off your first order offer" at the mo, so you could try one for not much cash. 

https://www.tailorstore.co.uk/getstarted

I certainly didn't spend two grand in one hit; I replaced my tent-with-a-collar Tyrwhitt shirts one or two at a time, mostly when there were offers.  
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes that place does look decent I must admit. I change shirts after a year because they get marks under the arms which look terrible. I tried the vinegar soaking trick but it didn't really work and whether it was psychological or not I'm not sure, but I felt the vinegar smell lingered!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Surely in this weather it’s shirts off, tats supporting Engerlund out and lobster effect burns whenever possible?

You might find your access to Wetherspoons limited tho
    Surely in this weather it’s shirts off, tats supporting Engerlund out and lobster effect burns whenever possible?

In that attire surely Wetherspoons is the only place you could go other than the park with a bottle of White Lightning?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580

In that attire surely Wetherspoons is the only place you could go other than the park with a bottle of White Lightning?
    I thought they have a “no shirt no beer” policy
    I change shirts after a year because they get marks under the arms which look terrible. I tried the vinegar soaking trick but it didn't really work and whether it was psychological or not I'm not sure, but I felt the vinegar smell lingered!
    Ah - that explains it. No need to change shoes and suits that regularly though? 

I've been very happy with Tailorstore, subject to the comment about cuff size and watches. They're not generous on the trousers though so add a little to your measurements if you order any. 
    Yes that place does look decent I must admit. I change shirts after a year because they get marks under the arms which look terrible. I tried the vinegar soaking trick but it didn't really work and whether it was psychological or not I'm not sure, but I felt the vinegar smell lingered!
    Some alternatives for removing underarm stains are, apparently, salt, bicarbonate of soda or aspirin, dissolved in water and/or made into a paste.  I haven't tried any of them, but none would smell as bad as vinegar...

I always wear a white v-neck T-shirt under my work shirts.  Which I suppose is only one step away from a string vest, but it does stop those underarn stains ever appearing on shirts.
    Sporky said:
    I change shirts after a year because they get marks under the arms which look terrible. I tried the vinegar soaking trick but it didn't really work and whether it was psychological or not I'm not sure, but I felt the vinegar smell lingered!
    Ah - that explains it. No need to change shoes and suits that regularly though? 

I've been very happy with Tailorstore, subject to the comment about cuff size and watches. They're not generous on the trousers though so add a little to your measurements if you order any. 
    Am grateful for the recommendation of that site actually as it does seem a good service, may try a couple to use for "client meeting shirts" perhaps and see how it goes.

Re the suits I'm not really sure I've done very well on that front so have had to throw out and replace fairly frequently. The "nice" suits seem too fancy for the office so never seem to get worn, but im guilty of buying cheap (ie M&S level) on the majority of the ones I wear on a daily basis so I hold my hands up on that. I do find the jackets get quite "unfresh" rather regularly though which also gets annoying enough for dry cleaning bills on the cheap ones, but I suppose buying better/expensive ones may not necessarily require the same expense if the material is better. Also I've never come to terms with not being able to machine wash trousers, it would get expensive exhortative dry cleaning trousers after a week of wear
    Philly_Q said:
    Some alternatives for removing underarm stains are, apparently, salt, bicarbonate of soda or aspirin, dissolved in water and/or made into a paste.  I haven't tried any of them, but none would smell as bad as vinegar...

I always wear a white v-neck T-shirt under my work shirts.  Which I suppose is only one step away from a string vest, but it does stop those underarn stains ever appearing on shirts.
    The T-shirt thing didn't work for me, and just made me sweatier to be honest
    Nothing wrong with an M&S suit.

Worth having them altered to fit really well though. 
    I'm almost ashamed, in the context of this thread, to admit I buy bog-standard M&S shirts and Next (washable!!) suits.  But it's only for work, in my mind effectively they're overalls, I'm not interested in spending a lot of money on them.

I've never seen the point of getting things perfectly tailored to fit my less-than-Adonis-like contours.  Loads of the (mostly younger) blokes in work wear slim/tailored-fit shirts and all they're really doing is showcasing their love handles.  I don't get it.
    If off the peg fits you, or you don't care, then off the peg is fine.

I found that Tyrwhitt were like tents with a collar on me;  the made-to-measure ones aren't at all tight, they just follow the shape of me so they don't bag anywhere and they stay tucked in. They're comfier, there's more choice, and they're not much more money. To me they're worth it. 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Philly_Q said:
    But it's only for work, in my mind effectively they're overalls, I'm not interested in spending a lot of money on them.

I've never seen the point of getting things perfectly tailored to fit my less-than-Adonis-like contours.  Loads of the (mostly younger) blokes in work wear slim/tailored-fit shirts and all they're really doing is showcasing their love handles.  I don't get it.
    ^ This.  Unless there's a business case for it, there's no way I'm ploughing my hard-earned back into posh work attire, particularly since it's not tax-deductible.

Some people clearly disagree (the sort of chaps that spend half an hour with a hairdryer and hairspray in the mirror every morning and whose dream in life is to end up on The Apprentice) - but I'd rather spend my money and time on something else.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Some people clearly disagree (the sort of chaps that spend half an hour with a hairdryer and hairspray in the mirror every morning and whose dream in life is to end up on The Apprentice)
    Why are you insulting and belittling people for having a different opinion and outlook from yours?
    Sporky said:
    Some people clearly disagree (the sort of chaps that spend half an hour with a hairdryer and hairspray in the mirror every morning and whose dream in life is to end up on The Apprentice)
    Why are you insulting and belittling people for having a different opinion and outlook from yours?
    That's this forum over and done with then.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    edited June 2018
    Sporky said:
    Please explain how I have insulted and belittled them?  They exist.  I have described them.  That's it.

Edit - unless you somehow think I'm describing you?  I don't know you.  If you by chance fit the description, feel free to coiffe away!

Edit 2 - when I said "some people" I meant "some specific people I have come across in real life" who plough a large amount of their salary back into posh work clothes and are constantly doing their hair.  I do not mean anyone in this thread, who to the best of my knowledge I've never met or even seen their hair.  The power of the internet for misunderstandings, eh?
    You really need me to explain what you wrote? You can't just remember, or maybe read it? That's concerning.

Here's a clue; you stereotyped everyone who doesn't share your view.