Noise gate. Where do you put yours?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    sweepy said:
    Tried everything, I also disabled the noise gate on my Axe Fx Helix etc, they screw up all the nuances of damped and dynamic pickingto my ears
    did you try the 4CM (as I used on my NS50)?

Here's and example:

If you set this up properly on a good noise gate, it should be hard to lose any nuances

Whereas if you use your noise gate like this, you will lose nuance and bits of the note, because it's not the recommended way to do it:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4099
    I set it up like the first diagram.   I don't lose any nuances I'm really impressed. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @ToneControl That first diagram is ingenious and a nice bit of lateral thinking.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    @ToneControl That first diagram is ingenious and a nice bit of lateral thinking.
    It's a commonly used studio technique the other way round: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression#Side-chaining (i.e. using a trigger to reduce volume when the trigger goes over a threshold). For a noise gate, we want the opposite, a trigger input dropping below a threshold should reduce the gain massively (effectively to zero)

instead of applying 60dB or whatever of gain, and removing all the dynamic range, then setting a threshold, you trigger the gate from the clean, full-dynamic signal

I used to use this with stupidly high gain H&K preamps, and it works perfectly, I used the NS50 Boss half-rack, but the NS-2 seems to offer the same facility

All the PC-based amp-sims do this too AFAIK, and the AxeFx2, etc
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    edited July 2018
    I've rewired my board now using the X formation and it's much better.  Virtually silent when I stop playing.  Cheers
    It's great isn't it. 

I'm not sure of you're aware of this but you can also change how the NS 2 functions.

Mute mode will (obviously) mute the signal when pressed and allow noise reduction when the light is off. 

Reduction mode will toggle between nr on and off which can be useful if you want to turn off noise reduction for feedback or need the notes to sustain more
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I've rewired my board now using the X formation and it's much better.  Virtually silent when I stop playing.  Cheers
    It's great isn't it. 

I'm not sure of you're aware of this but you can also change how the NS 2 functions.

Mute mode will (obviously) mute the signal when pressed and allow noise reduction when the light is off. 

Reduction mode will toggle between nr on and off which can be useful if you want to turn off noise reduction for feedback or need the notes to sustain more
    That's a stupid good idea! :) Why aren't these things ever obvious to me? Thank you :)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9540
    Gassage said:
    I think I remember a Gilmour rig where he had one every few pedals
    Thanks. I just ordered 12.
    Like it...
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4099
    @flying_pie cheers yes I use those functions.   I think it's a great pedal and a vital part of my board.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    @flying_pie cheers yes I use those functions.   I think it's a great pedal and a vital part of my board.

It certainly is a useful pedal for a high gain rig.  FWIW I had mine for ages before I learned what that knob did! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    at top of the drive
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>