NGD - Dipping my toe into the 'Vintage Guitar' ocean....

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
So, having had no luck with knowing where to start with a Jag, and mulling over a 60th Edition Jazzmaster.... this came up locally and was pickup up within my Jag / Jazz budget.

I's an April 1984 Fender Master Series Esprit Elite in what looks to me to be original condition. Some buckle rash on the back and a couple of very minor marks / scratches on the front, but I would say it is in exceptional condition for a 34 year old guitar.

Case and tags / manual included, case has a couple of faulty clips but otherwise tip top. Original truss rod wrench and strap locks.

Lovely guitar in the flesh, much nicer that the sellers photos suggested. It's been knocking around on eBay and Gumtree for a few weeks so you may have seen it. Neck is straight as, action very nice indeed and the switching and pickups all appear to be fully working as should be.

Not had much chance to play it yet but will have a dabble later. The little I did play it, it has quite a range of tones due to the coil spilt and the Fender TBX tone controls.

Very happy, super guitar.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14309
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    I recall this Fender range when it first came out - around £500 at the time, subject to which model and in many ways the Fender answer to the Yamaha SG range and the Ibanez Artist, all from Japan - Initially they totally flopped sales wise - So Fender ran a job lot promotional offer to clear and you could buy them new around £300 ish - Instantly sold, but no profit so the line was finished

Then a Mr Robben Ford came along and ever since they have had their fan club -Nothing wrong with the guitar so at the right price go for it

Pick-ups produce a clear voice - Far more articulate then a Les Paul with less muscle in the mid range
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    I have one of the reissues, which Fender produced some years back as part of the Squier Master Series. Nice guitar. I’ve occcassionally thought about trying to find an original (being a Robbben Ford fan).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    From my research there were three different guitars in the Mater Series - D'Aquisto / Esprit / Flame and three levels of each - Standard / Elite / Ultra. Mine is an Elite, so the middle spec, the Esprit Ultra went on to become the Robin Ford Signature guitar. 

The series ran from 1983 - 1985 and were all produced in Japan. Quite slow off the production line apparently. 
    tFB Trader
    The Esprit/Flame were the 2 main sellers and these are the 2 models you see the most

As far as the Standard/Elite/Ultra goes then this is more about the GTi trimmings with colour coded bumpers etc - Same chassis as such regarding the actual pick-ups, body/neck wood etc, so regarding the actual playing performance then a Standard can match the Ultra, albeit no coil tap option, but not an inferior guitar

https://www.vintageguitar.com/1754/the-fender-master-series/ - some additional info on there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7049
    tFB Trader
    Very nice, I do like these guitars. I recently worked on a Gene Baker USA model which was a fantastic guitar.
    The Esprit/Flame were the 2 main sellers and these are the 2 models you see the most

As far as the Standard/Elite/Ultra goes then this is more about the GTi trimmings with colour coded bumpers etc - Same chassis as such regarding the actual pick-ups, body/neck wood etc, so regarding the actual playing performance then a Standard can match the Ultra, albeit no coil tap option, but not an inferior guitar

https://www.vintageguitar.com/1754/the-fender-master-series/ - some additional info on there
    The Elite / Ultra also have the TBX control which is a middle dent on the tone knobs. Rotating one way acts as a standard tone control, the other way affects the presence and brightness. Apparently!

By looking at serial numbers they think around 4000 Mater Series guitars were made. If you divide evenly between the three ranges of guitars and then by finish levels that would indicate around 450 of each. But, as you say the Flame and Esprit were the most popular so it's fair to assume there were more of these made than the D'Aquisto. 

Lots of information here;  http://www.masterseriesguitars.com/

tFB Trader
    It is a long time since I've actually seen a D'Aquisto in the flesh - I never sold one when new, so far less around

the TBX was a feature Fender utilsed on many guitars from that era inc  various Strats and Teles - So yes 0-5 is like a regular tone pot - 5-10 for a touch of extra zip/presence
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12410
    Happy NGD, I look forward to playing it : )
    munckee said:
    Happy NGD, I look forward to playing it : )
    Indeed! Look forward to hearing you play it! 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430

Happy NGD. That looks 'ansome. I remember these from the eighties and I thought then that it was the most appealing Semi that Fender had made. They flopped, but then again previous models like the Coronado and Starcaster had not proved particularly popular. I once went to a Jim Sullivan gig where he got amazing sounds out of a Starcaster.

I like the sound of the stock Esprit pickups but seem to recall Robben Ford saying in one of his videos that he was not happy so had them re-wound.

Enjoy :)

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6896
    edited June 2018
    Blimey is 1984 vintage - makes me feel old...... I must have vintage records from that era, but no guitars. When does my 1994 Ibanez satriani JS become vintage? That will feel weird when the JSs and Jems  become vintage! 

Nice guitar BTW!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:
    Blimey is 1984 vintage - makes me feel old...... I must have vintage records from that era, but no guitars. When does my 1994 Ibanez satriani JS become vintage? That will feel weird when the JSs and Jems  become vintage! 

Nice guitar BTW!
    30 years I believe! 
    I recall this Fender range when it first came out - around £500 at the time, subject to which model and in many ways the Fender answer to the Yamaha SG range and the Ibanez Artist, all from Japan - Initially they totally flopped sales wise - So Fender ran a job lot promotional offer to clear and you could buy them new around £300 ish - Instantly sold, but no profit so the line was finished

Then a Mr Robben Ford came along and ever since they have had their fan club -Nothing wrong with the guitar so at the right price go for it

Pick-ups produce a clear voice - Far more articulate then a Les Paul with less muscle in the mid range
    Interesting! At £300 in 1984, allowing for inflation, I still paid well below sale price.

Anyone know how to fix / replace a Fender case clip?
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160

My eldest brother has a Fender Flame. I think historically they were the very first chambered production guitar. They have alder bodies. So not very LP alike from my memory. It has a lovely jangle on cleans though. Really chimey. My brother was playing in an REM influenced band in the early 90’s & he really liked it. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Fuengi said:
    mrkb said:

Nice guitar BTW!
    30 years I believe! 

Perhaps guitars now need definitions like veteran, vintage, post vintage and classic like cars do. With a special category for HarrySeven's collection ;)

At the time that many highly desirable guitars were made in the fifties a thirty five year old guitar then would have been pre-electric (Ric frying pans possibly the exception?).

Reading a bit more on these, apparently when the sale price was reduced in 1985 to sell off the series the guitars were then shipped without cases. Presumably just a box!? 
    tFB Trader
    Fuengi said:

Reading a bit more on these, apparently when the sale price was reduced in 1985 to sell off the series the guitars were then shipped without cases. Presumably just a box!? 
    fading memory bank for me on this - I recall the deal - I purchased a few of them in my old store in Derby - I sold them but can't recall about the case - Sorry I can't help further - But I have an old band mate who purchased one so will ask him when I see him and update accordingly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom