Pickup choices as a gift for a friend?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
I'm wanting to get some pickups as a gift for a friend and would welcome some suggestions. All I have to go on is he says he likes a "sleazy" '80's kind of rock tone, highish gain and no muddiness. The guitar is a '90's Epiphone Les Paul Custom so humbuckers are needed. He'll be playing through a Marshall Code (I bought him it last year and he loves it) if that helps. Any suggestions from my vague description are most welcome, thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3987
    Seymour Duncan Slash pickups or something similar.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7787
    budget? 

Most alnico 5 pickups wound over 10k in the bridge will do.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I got given Bare Knuckle Mules as a present and it made me very happy :) 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    budget? 

Most alnico 5 pickups wound over 10k in the bridge will do.
    Sorry, budget is between £150-200.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    That’s very generous of you. Are you looking for any new friends?  ;)

Talk to @TheGuitarWeasel he’ll be able to supply you with exactly what you want. Custom made pickups would make for a really nice pressie!
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 884
    An EMG 81 in the bridge position.  Something else from EMG in the other position.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited June 2018
    revsorg said:
    An EMG 81 in the bridge position.  Something else from EMG in the other position.
    The Fat 55 set could possibly be even better for this, they’re like bigger sounding PAFs with some more balls to the low end. Not as characterful as passive PAFs (more even and less biting in the top) but they’re not as flubby either.

But my first thought for sleazy 80s/90s tone is Duncan JB/Jazz set, a lot of people used that setup in that time period.

For tighter with more top end sizzle I’d go Duncan Custom Bridge, possibly a 59 in the neck but sometimes I find that a bit bassy in some Gibsons. 

If he likes heavier stuff the Duncan Distortion sry works great in Les Pauls.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    I'd think a gift card for a pickup manufacturer would be the best option with pickups being such a personal and divisive subject. 
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    Alegree said:
    I'd think a gift card for a pickup manufacturer would be the best option with pickups being such a personal and divisive subject. 
    Exactly right ... pole spacing, covered or uncovered etc etc are all things your friend needs to choose.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14507
    Alegree said:
    I'd think a gift card for a pickup manufacturer would be the best option ...
    TheGuitarWeasel said:
     ... pole spacing, covered or uncovered etc etc are all things your friend needs to choose.
    By any chance, do either of you good gentlemen happen to offer this service? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    zepp76 said:
    I'm wanting to get some pickups as a gift for a friend. The guitar is a '90's Epiphone Les Paul Custom. He'll be playing through a Marshall Code. 
    My stock response to this sort of forum question is to enquire;
    1) What pickups are in the guitar at present?
    2) What is it about them that is proving unsatisfactory?

"Sleazy" Eighties Rock probably means something different to everyone who reads those words. In my opinion, it is more to do with player attitude than anything in the gear list.

revsorg said:
    For players who spend the majority of their time on the bridge/Treble pickup, reserving the neck/Rhythm pickup for cleaner/quieter duties, the EMG-81/-60 or the HET set should deliver. The EMG-H makes an interesting alternative. (It is the EMG-S inside a humbucker cover. The volume and tonal difference suits some applications.)

Since the Epiphone LP is drilled for four pots, it invites reconfiguring of the controls. For example, Neck PU Vol., Bridge PU Vol., Master Treble Roll Off plus one of the EMG booster accessories. (EMG-H + EMG-SPC = Gilmourish.)

guitarfishbay said:
    Duncan JB, Jazz, Custom, 59 neck, Distortion
    All good choices.

The nearest guitar I have to the Epiphone is probably a Hamer XT Sunburst. It has JB and Pearly Gates Neck humbuckers. For less rip, the Brobucker is nice (but probably worth more than the rest of the guitar!).

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918

Budget choice - Irongear Hot Slag

Best Option - Oil City Scrapyard Dog +

Both are fairly hot AlNiCo 5 humbuckers that handle high gain very well but remain articulate and never get muddy. They clean up well with the volume control too.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7349
    Something like a JB and 59? Not very exciting but pretty standard so less chance of it being completely wrong.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    edited June 2018
    My bad....
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    skunkwerx said:
    There's cheaper ways of getting into a girl's pants ,my man.
    Er, the OP describes the *friend* as he. ;-p

zepp76 said:
    '90's Epiphone Les Paul Custom ... budget is between £150-200.
    If the guitar is worth £350 - 400, there is an argument for selling it and putting the replacement pickup budget towards the purchase of a better guitar.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    skunkwerx said:
    There's cheaper ways of getting into a girl's pants ,my man.
    Er, the OP describes the *friend* as he. ;-p

zepp76 said:
    '90's Epiphone Les Paul Custom ... budget is between £150-200.
    If the guitar is worth £350 - 400, there is an argument for selling it and putting the replacement pickup budget towards the purchase of a better guitar.
    Oh man its been a long day! Shamefully removed my nonsense! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2778
    zepp76 said:
    I'm wanting to get some pickups as a gift for a friend  He'll be playing through a Marshall Code (I bought him it last year 
    Can I be your friend too ? :)
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1953
    Did he not mean 'cheesy 80s'? If he said 'sleazy 80s' then that makes it harder, but I would probably say Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demons...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yusDUUUAaNw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfbrlale9j8

The '59/JB or Jazz/JB combos are a bit more versatile, but more 'cheesy 80s'.

I would have said Jerry Cantrell has a 'sleazy' tone with his Motor City Pickup, but 90s.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1953
    Apparently Mick Mars used a Super Distortion, so that's probably the sleaziest for 80s (WASP used them too).
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    Schnozz said:
    Apparently Mick Mars used a Super Distortion, so that's probably the sleaziest for 80s (WASP used them too).
    For me the Super Distortion IS the eighties ... and still the original is the pickup all high output humbuckers have to live up to.
    As a total aside, I recently had to strip and rewind a Duncan Nazgul ... vaunted as the holy grail of modern heavy pickups. Imagine my surprise when I discovered it was virtually an exact copy of the Super Distortion ... just with some extra shielding added. Larry, I'd get my lawyers primed up if I were you :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom