Bridge Replacement Options

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1953
edited July 2018 in Guitar
Hi All,

I was intending to sell my cheapy, but in hindsight I don't think it's worth it

I'd like to replace the bridge for something longer-term, but everything else is solid

Even though I've been lucky enough to have had 60+ guitars and basses, I've never modded anything

It looks to me like the total 6 post spacing is 52.5mm

Would anyone recommend an upgrade? It's pretty much a Squier 70s VM, but although Cort/Squier are related, I don't know if they use the same bridges and blocks etc...

https://i.imgur.com/psxV2dq.jpg
All input appreciated
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1953
    Also open to just blocking it off, but I think it's worth the investment
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14505
    edited July 2018
    Inspect the sustain block. Expect to find a generic, skinny, tapered, zinc item. (Sung-il.) 

The bad news is that the Cort body is only 40mm thick whereas the majority of Fender-derived designs are 45mm. This restricts your options. Most replacement vibrato bridges are designed on the assumption of the 45mm. On the Cort, the lower edge of most regular sustain blocks is likely to protrude beyond the edge of the vibrato cavity.

Conversion to a two-post floating vibrato should work but involves a lot of modification and the parts will probably cost more than the guitar did.

The obvious candidate is the Wilkinson VS-50 (WVS5011K). To leave room for the sustain block, the bridge would need to float 4 or 5mm proud of the top of the guitar. You may need to shim the neck to get the required back angle.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    Or you could just trim a few mm off the new sustain block so it isn"t proud of the cavity.
    I did this recently with no noticeable side affects.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14505
    baldy said:
    trim a few mm off the new sustain block so it isn"t proud of the cavity.
    Which face of the block did you grind off?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    baldy said:
    Or you could just trim a few mm off the new sustain block so it isn"t proud of the cavity.
    I did this recently with no noticeable side affects.
    Skinny zinc indeed! It sounds great tonally, but I'd like something more stable to use and I think it's a shame considering the rest of the guitar is decent, right down to the fretwork

@baldy I know a few engineers, so that could well be an option 

Great responses so far  =)

I fitted a steel block to a Sun Il 6 point trem bridge to increase sustain over the stock zinc one it came with.
    I machined the cavity cover side of the block.
    Made no difference to sustain as far as my ears could tell as I tried it before & after (before without the cavity plate on as the block fouled it) & gave much better sustain than the stock zinc block.
    Springs still fitted fine after the mod.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    the Wilkinson one has always worked well for me

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Wilkinson-WV6-Tremolo-Steel-Block-p/wv6-sb.htm
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Good price - Anxious about the 54mm when it's 52.5mm/53mm, so I'll need to get the ruler out!
    edited July 2018
    Black Dog do a steel block that should fit with no mods as it only 39mm high & 52.5mm string spacing
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=372228420170&view=all&tid=1022273174024
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018
    baldy said:
    Black Dog do a steel block that should fit with no mods as it only 39mm high & 52.5mm string spacing
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=372228420170&view=all&tid=1022273174024
    What a gem - Thank you! Turns out 52.5mm is a Squier/Fender Mexican thing