Who makes the very best craft knives ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24326
I’m sick of cheap, aluminium-handled, never-grip-the-blade-properly, crap-quality-blade craft knife sets.

I want something that will last a lifetime and have stainless blades etc, preferably in a nice wooden case with a crushed velvet lining.

Who are the Rolls-Royce of small knife manufacturers?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Can’t go wrong with Swann Morton.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    X-Acto.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• +1 for Swann Morton, if they are good enough for the folk who hack people to bits for shits and giggles a living, they are more than good enough for us.

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited July 2018
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    X-acto number 5:

http://www.xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/knives/detail/X3205

I've had mine for over 20 years.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I've been using Swann Morton Retractaway Premium craft knives for many years now. By far my favourite scalpel handle with the added advantage of that it can't roll, due to its rectangular section.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I’m a Swann Morton guy!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
    Do any of these come as a nice presentation set, or are they all just individual items? I've had a quick look and can't find a nice set for any of those mentioned and I thought such a thing would make a nice gift for my better half who is into her craft things. The Blue Spruce one is nice but she'd think I was up to something if I her bought her something that pricey.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Gonna have to ask what they are to he used for?
    For marking out and cutting thin veneer, a Swann Morton with a no.11 blade is very difficult to beat. 
    For carving, then something heavier duty like an x-acto might do the biz, or a custom made whittling knife in damascus steel with *insert favourite fancy wood* handle from any number of artisans should suffice.
    I have a range of Blue Spruce tools, including Dave's marking knife and single bevel left and right handed 'craft' knives. They are lovely indeed. In fact roughly 10 years ago my wife got a diamond engagement ring, i got a set of Blue Spruce chisels. 

Adam
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24326
    Nitefly said:
    X-acto number 5:
    We know a song (almost) about that don’t we boys and girls ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EK_LN3XEcnw

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    SimonC said:
    Can’t go wrong with Swann Morton.
    +1. if they are good enough for surgeons they are more than good enough for scraping the polshy oily goo out from between your frets once a year. easily worth the premium price imo.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    wolsnah said:
    Do any of these come as a nice presentation set, or are they all just individual items? I've had a quick look and can't find a nice set for any of those mentioned and I thought such a thing would make a nice gift for my better half who is into her craft things. The Blue Spruce one is nice but she'd think I was up to something if I her bought her something that pricey.
    https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/AA/other-airbrush-items/x-acto/x-acto-basic-hobby-tool-set-boxed?d=22&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr5bUuuf_2wIVS7DtCh0Q2QH6EAQYAiABEgIImvD_BwE

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....