NGD Goldtop Tele.....

skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 971
I got this last week and gigged it for the first time yesterday at 2 gigs on what was a very long day ending with me getting home at 4-30am...!! but that's another story...
I usually use my 335 but I have 2 guitars by California Artist Guitars ...a UK builder who makes strat and tele style guitars and they are superb. This came up for sale from his private collection and when I saw it I knew I needed it...:)
It's a heavy beast...about 9lbs I'd guess but what a guitar.. I haven't put it down since I got it and the soundman of the band I was gigging with yesterday as a dep couldn't believe the quality of the guitar and the sound impressed him too ( he's a guitar nut who owns a PRS and a £5k Lowden ) 
I have a feeling this guitar could well take over from my 335 as my main gigging guitar. This is one very happy ska guitarist.
Here's the obligatory pictures.. :)

https://imgur.com/a/uu6Ye3y
  • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    I wasn't sure what to expect when I clicked on your link but that looks awesome. It isn't "over the top gold" but nice and subtle and warm.
    I'm really liking that because you very rarely see a gold top Tele and I have to say it suits it.
    Enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    i think that looks lovely!

Whats it play like? Never head of the maker but he has made a guitar for Mark Lettieri so must be good!
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 971
    TA22GT said:
    I wasn't sure what to expect when I clicked on your link but that looks awesome. It isn't "over the top gold" but nice and subtle and warm.
    I'm really liking that because you very rarely see a gold top Tele and I have to say it suits it.
    Enjoy!
    Cheers... it is very subtle and I love the matt black finish on the back and the double binding...and the main thing is it sounds great...!!
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    i think that looks lovely!

Whats it play like? Never head of the maker but he has made a guitar for Mark Lettieri so must be good!
    thanks... he builds great guitars at a very reasonable price...it's very easy to play and has great tones...the neck is very warm..the middle position has that strat quack and the bridge is classic tele tones...check his website and facebook pages out..he's a great guy...:)
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6712
    Looks lovely Andy, wishing you many happy gigs with it! 
    edited July 2018
    merlin said:
    Looks lovely Andy, wishing you many happy gigs with it! 
    cheers ...I couldn't resist it when it came up...I may be moving on the 335..it's that good..!!

how's the B&G...living up to all expectations I hope..:)
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    Really like that.  The satin finish gives it a certain something.  Good score.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited July 2018
    ......when I saw it I knew I needed it...
    Ha! I know that feeling very well!

Looks very impressive, I'd like a go on that!
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    @TimmyO .....this.... didn't.... you....?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7520
    Jetfire said:
    @TimmyO .....this.... didn't.... you....?
    similar but different to mine - which still ranks as one of the ones that got away (although now back with its original creator @octatonic ; I think 
    Red ones are better. 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I wish Id bought it when you'd had it up for sale tbh. Need some pics to celebrate it!

gringopig said:
    That's beautiful. Wonder how much these are. Wouldn't it be nice to see some Jaguar or Jazzmaster inspired models?
    HNGD - soooooooooooooooooo jealous lol
    cheers... his guitars cost a lot less than you may think... I'm not sure if he has done any offset models but I'm sure he would if asked... :)

Really like that.  The satin finish gives it a certain something.  Good score.
    yeah it's not a gaudy gold top... the finish really suits the tele :)

jdgm said:
    ......when I saw it I knew I needed it...
    Ha! I know that feeling very well!

Looks very impressive, I'd like a go on that!
    if you're ever passing by Bedfordshire you're welcome to come in and try it... :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    very nice - espech with the edge binding
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    Very cool looking guitar, not too sure about the weight though. I
    prefer lighter swamp ash or alder Telecasters but I’m sure that the great tone you’re getting is probably down to the mass of the body so I guess it’s a price you have to pay
    57Deluxe said:
    very nice - espech with the edge binding
    Yes,!! I like it... a lot :) HNGD!
    cheers guys... :)

Very cool looking guitar, not too sure about the weight though. I
    prefer lighter swamp ash or alder Telecasters but I’m sure that the great tone you’re getting is probably down to the mass of the body so I guess it’s a price you have to pay

I think the body mass is contributing to the tones from the guitar...and weight of a guitar has never bothered me in the slightest... if it sounds good I'll carry an extra 2lb.. :)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Lovely guitar. big thumbs up from me.
    edited July 2018
    axisus said:
    Lovely guitar. big thumbs up from me.
    cheers :)
  • drippycatdrippycat Frets: 139
    I clicked the link thinking I'd hate it, but that looks really nice!