Guitar that rules them all

What's Hot
maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3144
inspired by this http://www.nilerodgers.com/about/press/2767-worlds-most-successful-guitar  Any ideas on a single guitar that has earnt more than Nile’s? Maybe the red special?
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14535
    First guess, Micawber.

Second guess, Pearly Gates.

Third guess, one of Tommy Todesco's hollowbody instruments.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72515
    Paul McCartney's Epiphone Texan. He wrote the most recorded song in history on it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14535
    edited July 2018
    ICBM said:
    Paul McCartney's Epiphone Texan. He wrote the most recorded song in history on it.
    ... thereby, indirectly financing Michael Jackson's legal advisors and conk modifications.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited July 2018

ICBM said:

McCartneys B&H archtop (Ivor Mairants model made by framus for b&h.  Most beetles songs were written on it so probably overtakes the Texan on total number of songs, sales of songs and even covers if totalled for all songs...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited July 2018
    Interesting topic...hard to say. The figures are not readily available!
    Blackie, the Beatles' guitars, Elvis/Scotty Moore? James Burton's Paisley Tele did alright too...
    Much as I love Jimi, his Strats would probably come behind Peter Green's LP...
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3144
    jdgm said:
    Interesting topic...hard to say. The figures are not readily available!
    Blackie, the Beatles' guitars, Elvis/Scotty Moore? James Burton's Paisley Tele did alright too...
    Much as I love Jimi, his Strats would probably come behind Peter Green's LP...
    Thing about Jimi’s strats is he used so many! This is about a single guitar
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    My guess is it’d be a guitar owned by some kind of songwriter/producer nobody outside of the recording world would care about, especially if it was someone prolific pre internet era
  • In modern times I'd have to suggest Ed Sheerans little Martin. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33821
    Willie Nelson's Trigger must be up there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27159
    It depends how you count, obviously. If we're talking record sales, then it's probably either McCartney's Hofner bass. Or whatever Garth Brooks uses to write with, though he has a signature Takamine, which probably means he chops & changes a lot.

Arguably Springsteen's modded Esquire is up there too, though I'm aware he writes mostly on piano, so not sure if it counts.

If you add in revenue from live sales, then U2 and the Rolling Stones are surely at the top, so you'd have to assume Micawber and Edge's "Streets" Strat. Though again that would boost McCartney's Hofner & Texan, which still both get used (not sure if the originals or reissue versions?)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2402
    The Edge's black Strat? U2 have sold far more records than Nile and factor in touring revenue too then that would equate to more. Bruce Springsteen's guitar would have also outsold and outgrossed Nile. 
  • Brent Masons tele
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27159
    Ooh, how about Malcolm Young's Gretsch Jet? Certainly must be up there if you count albums + live shows. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Jimmy Page's Les Paul?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Whatever guitar Eddie Van Halen used on Beat It
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    My guess is it’d be a guitar owned by some kind of songwriter/producer nobody outside of the recording world would care about, especially if it was someone prolific pre internet era

Good point.

Struggling to remember names at the moment, but you have a point.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72515
    If you count basses, Carol Kaye’s Precision would probably be a good bet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    SNAKEBITE said:

Good point.

Struggling to remember names at the moment, but you have a point.

If Lloyd Webber didn’t write on the piano but in a guitar it would have been that one...
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3050
    Strat54 said:
    The Edge's black Strat? U2 have sold far more records than Nile and factor in touring revenue too then that would equate to more. Bruce Springsteen's guitar would have also outsold and outgrossed Nile. 
    Evidence?
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1954
    Nathan East's Yamaha BB