Decreasing Break Angle on a Bigsby

olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
Hi, 

I recently got a Yamaha Revstar RS720B for my birthday and there is an issue with the Bigsby.

The break angle is so severe that the strings are touching the back of the bridge. Should I just run the strings over the top of the tension bar or get a Bigsby Tuning Stabiliser? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    Are there any noticeable side affects to the strings touching the bridge? If there are no weird sounds and no premature string breakage it’s probably not an issue.   
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    Sounds like you need a Bricks Bigs Fix  - they are brilliant and solve these problems.

https://bricksbiggsfix.com/product/btsv3/
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27160
    Are there any noticeable side affects to the strings touching the bridge? If there are no weird sounds and no premature string breakage it’s probably not an issue.   
    It's likely to hurt tuning stability, especially in conjunction with the bigsby itself.

Agree on the Biggsfix suggestion - that's designed to fix exactly this issue. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Yeah, I've played well setup Bigsby guitars and they stay more or less in tune, this one doesn't. 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3292
    impmann said:
    Sounds like you need a Bricks Bigs Fix  - they are brilliant and solve these problems.

Just fitted one of these...tuning woes over...Bigsby feels more lively than a Gotoh 2-post now!

With the extreme break angle, the bridge seemed to have two or three ‘zero’ positions depending whether you’d dipped or pulled the bar.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    impmann said:

To me those look sooooo ugly. I could never fit one. I spent a lot of time getting my No 1 guitar's Bigsby working well, and I'm very happy with it without extra bits. I'd be interested to see what the OP's problem looks like??
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited July 2018
    @TheMarlin posted something about this maybe last year. It's an adapter bar that sits higher...or something like that.
    I'll let him explain properly when he sees this.

EDIT: I should have clicked the link before posting.
    THAT'S the adapter bar I remember seeing, the Bricksbiggsfix one.

I agree with @impmann it's barely visible.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    axisus said:
    impmann said:

To me those look sooooo ugly. I could never fit one. I spent a lot of time getting my No 1 guitar's Bigsby working well, and I'm very happy with it without extra bits. I'd be interested to see what the OP's problem looks like??
    Interesting - what is ugly? Once its fitted its pretty much invisible.

TBH, though, if the break angles are too acute there isn't any other way in my experience (especially on those generally suspect licenced ones).
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    In that case does anyone in the UK have one they are considering selling? It will save on the $15 shipping and customs fees. 
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    Taking the strings over the top of the bar may be an option providing there is enough of a break angle to keep the strings in the bridge slots and they don’t touch the bar. I have a Harley Benton Big Tone and they are notorious for the steep string angle behind the bridge, I just ran the strings over the top of the bar and it works fine. On theHarley some people have put a couple of spacers under the front screws the attach the trem to the body to relieve the steep break angle.