Slide Guitar....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11921

Whats your favourite guitar for Slide - Fender, Gibson or something else ?

Humbuckers or P90's ?

Short Scale or Long Scale ?

Thanks.

A lap steel
    personal opinion: normal guitars played with a slide sound rattly and weak compared to a lapsteel
    At best, a normal guitar played with a slide is a compromise: fine if you usually are playing fretted, but if possible it's much better to use a lap steel for slide work. They start at around £60 used for the electrics, so there is not much reason to avoid trying one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    my custom Tele - even gets that grind unplugged.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    That Johnny Winter sound ... a Firebird. Sweet enough in the middle ... with a rawcus and nasty edge.Could easily use a Tele with a Firebird neck pickup, or even a Strat with a Firebird neck pickup.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    mbe said:
    I've seen a couple of places online selling brass bottlenecks with a concave radius for playing vintage Fender slide guitar.
    @mbe  Any links to those please?
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 662

Humbuckers or P90's ?

Thanks.

A lap steel
    personal opinion: normal guitars played with a slide sound rattly and weak compared to a lapsteel
    At best, a normal guitar played with a slide is a compromise: fine if you usually are playing fretted, but if possible it's much better to use a lap steel for slide work. They start at around £60 used for the electrics, so there is not much reason to avoid trying one

Thanks all - I play slide on acoustic resonator at the present and fancied trying electric....but as I am no Ry Cooder, for £60 I reckon I will give a lap steel a Whirl....cheers !
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11921

Humbuckers or P90's ?

Thanks.

A lap steel

Thanks all - I play slide on acoustic resonator at the present and fancied trying electric....but as I am no Ry Cooder, for £60 I reckon I will give a lap steel a Whirl....cheers !
    look for one like this, or buy new
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_slider_ii.htm
    I have one of these, only I am fussy, so needed to replace pickup to get noise-cancelling
  • I've got an old parlour acoustic in open D. It has a DiMarzio Acoustic 2 sound hole pickup wired to an end pin jack socket, in case my woman ever decides to "done leave me" and I choose to play on street corners.
    Back at work after a time away at Euroblues guitar week.. There were four sessions scheduled per day with three or four choices per session and IIRC, you could have done a different slide class for each. I did one slide class a day. I normally play electric (with a pick) but last week it was fingers all the way! :)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I use my les Paul for slide. Action isn't set too low to enable this. Tune it to open G for speed mid set I.e. just tune the top E to D and don't play the bottom E string. Keith Richards actually takes his bottom E off the guitar 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/