Boss ES-8 / ES-5

DanchiDanchi Frets: 25
Got both but using the ES-5 at the moment as i want a smaller board.
There's something i'm trying to do and i've had a look on YT but can't find this exact set of circumstances. I'm not gifted when it comes to intelligence and even less so when it gets technical!

So, here it goes:
I've got a preset (say, footswitch 1) that uses 4 fx pedals and one of them is a Strymon Mobius on a particular setting (phaser fwiw). I want to set up one of the other footswitches (say footswitch 5) to momentarily, that is, only when the pedal is depressed, to change the patch on the Mobius to another setting (very fast choppy tremolo) that i will use intermittently to mess with the sound.

There's demos of how to engage another fx pedal using a momentary switch and that i've figured that out. But i want a midi program change on the Mobius to from one setting to another and back again as FSW 5 is depressed and then change back when FSW 5 is released.

I can't seem to figure out if this is possible and if it is, how to do it.

Any Boss ES-5/8 users here who know how and would be kind enough to share, i would be very grateful!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• peachespeaches Frets: 45
    That’s a super cool idea I’d never thought of, I’ll have an experiment with my ES-8 and Empress pedal and see if I can figure something out! 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    edited July 2018
    The supplementary manual for the v2 firmware shows how to do this using an assign.

Obvs, you'll need to have the v2 firmware loaded.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• DanchiDanchi Frets: 25
    It does!!!!!!! I['ve got the firmware download. Gonna look for the manual. BOSS manuals though.....you know, not so easy to understand for the likes of me! Will have a gander though and report back.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    Danchi said:
    It does!!!!!!! I['ve got the firmware download. Gonna look for the manual. BOSS manuals though.....you know, not so easy to understand for the likes of me! Will have a gander though and report back.
    It's fairly simple- just two tables to tell you how to set the parameters of the assign and the patch MIDI.

Yeah, the manuals tend to be pretty dry and give you very indication of why you'd want to use certain features.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

So, will it work if i have say, midi patch 1 already operating but i want say, midi patch 2 to only be active while the chosen FSW is depressed?

That's the key thing for me, the preset will already have transmitted a midi message but i want that overwritten only for the duration of the depression of a separate footswitch (not an external one - just another FSW on the BOSS unit).
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited July 2018
    I have tried this with my Mobius and my Es-8. I planned to use an ASSIGN or a CNUM set to momentary. The problem is that it needs to send a PC change to switch the Mobius. I could do that when I pressed it but when released I couldn't get it to send one back.

In the end I just set up two patches to toggle between the sounds.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    One thing to remember is once you make an assign to change a preset on the möbius using pmidi via midi you won't be able to go back without another footswitch being pressed. So momentary will not work for you. I know because I have tried and was hoping they'd fix that with a future firmware update.

Hope it helps 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    Thanks, i'll stop trying  :'(
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4534
    Can you not do the preset changing by pressing the switches on the Mobius?