Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jazzmasters - Whats the best bang for buck?

What's Hot

Comments

• duotone said:
    Cheers @meltedbuzzbox ;
    Cheers @Gagaryn ;
    Looks like a Squier Vintage Modified might be the best for me, with a possible pickup upgrade further down the line.
    Personally I'd go for the mascis. They generally seem more consistent.
    I owned a vm and it was nice and all but the fretwork on it was pretty shocking past the 12th fret. 
    I've not noticed that on mascis models
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotone said:
    Cheers @meltedbuzzbox ;
    Cheers @Gagaryn ;
    Looks like a Squier Vintage Modified might be the best for me, with a possible pickup upgrade further down the line.
    I owned a vm and it was nice and all but the fretwork on it was pretty shocking past the 12th fret. 
    I had a Mascis for a while and it was a really nice guitar.  Neck was great.  I think I read that J based the neck on a Rory Gallagher strat he'd played and loved. Anyway, I shoulda kept it, although my neighbour bought it off me so I still get to play it once in a while.  No other points of reference really, so can't compare it to other JMs, but it was definitely a cut above most other Squiers I've tried. 
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    Or the Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster, more or less the jmascis but significantly cheaper.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    duotone said:
    Cheers @meltedbuzzbox ;
    Cheers @Gagaryn ;
    I had a Mascis for a while and it was a really nice guitar.  Neck was great.  I think I read that J based the neck on a Rory Gallagher strat he'd played and loved. Anyway, I shoulda kept it, although my neighbour bought it off me so I still get to play it once in a while.  No other points of reference really, so can't compare it to other JMs, but it was definitely a cut above most other Squiers I've tried. 
    Interesting, I'm gonna need to try these before I decide.  Went a few weeks ago to GuitarGuitar (Camden) but the cheapest jazzmaster I saw was £600-700ish.
  • paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7875
    I really can't recommend mojo pickups enough for replacement jazzmaster pickups. They are honestly in a different league to fenders offerings. 
    I've owned a lot of jazzmasters. Every single one has been improved with a set of mojos
    Agreed. I have Mojo’s in my Jazzmaster. Sounds spectacular.  
  • Gagaryn said:
    duotone said:
    I really can't recommend mojo pickups enough for replacement jazzmaster pickups. They are honestly in a different league to fenders offerings. 
    I've owned a lot of jazzmasters. Every single one has been improved with a set of mojos
    https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product-category/pickups/jazzmaster/

Which ones out of interest?
    I like the overwound bridge set. Don't be worried that the bridge is mega hot - it is not, from I find that this set has the best balance.

If you want something a bit different the wide range JM style are also excellent. 
    Definitely the overwound bridge option. I also strongly recommend A3 magnets instead of A5.
    Why do you prefer Alnico A3 to A5 please? Genuinely interested.
    On his website it states they are A5, do you have to request A3 especially if you want those?
  • Yes you have to request them.
    They smooth out the top end. It removes the hard clacky sound you get from alnico 5s

You are welcome to try mine if you are near Northamptonshire
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting. Sadly not but thanks for the offer.
    What are your thoughts on the G&L offset/JM style guitars?

http://glguitars.com/product/doheny/

http://glguitars.com/product/doheny-2/

• I have A5s in my JM but have never (knowingly) tried an A3 pickup I didn’t like
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • duotone said:

You want a Jazzmaster! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    duotone said:

You want a Jazzmaster! 
    I think your right. Message received loud and clear!
  • I really love my Squier VM Jazzmaster. I replaced the tuners, put in a Warmoth Modified Mustang bridge (with adjustable saddles), and then Fender Pure Vintage '65 pickups. For dirt cheap, it plays and sounds fantastic.
    edited November 2018
    @Anacharsis ;

Think the Squier VM’s look really good.  How much do you roughly reckon you have spent on the upgrades?
  • I picked up the Squier deluxe JM a few weeks back from PMT in Brizzle as a bit of an impulse purchase. It plays nicely , is well put together but the pickups certainly don't give you traditional JM tones - they are to my ears slightly less spikey P90s.

Its my own fault I didn't expect it to nail the hollow snappy loveliness of a proper JM but being an impulsive bugger I bought it anyway and hoped for the best :-)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    edited November 2018
    I think the Squire Mascis I owned was decent, but if you want a more traditional sound the TVL is closer to traditional Jazzmaster, just with a Mustang style bridge and an easier to access switch on the Rhythm section. Though the TVL has smaller more vintage correct frets than both the Mascis models.

I kept my TVL (and my original purple Mascis) but sold my Squier Mascis, as it was a little too close to what I already owned.

Otherwise, great guitar on a limited budget, but if you can stump up more get a TVL.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

Cheers @stonevibe ;

I still haven’t tried any models out yet, but will eventually get around to it.  The Troy Van Leeuwen model does look really good, witch hat knobs, painted headstock.  Although I think that I prefer the fret dots to the block inlays.
  • This place is a bad influence. 
    This happened today:
    https://i.imgur.com/unO4VK2.jpg

I'm VERY impressed with it. The neck in particular is superb- reminds me of the Trohman Tele I once had. 
    Pickups are quite P90ish & sound great. 
  • Not wanting to bring the thread down but I'm selling a 4 week old non trem version of the above in the classifieds. 

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone has fallen in love with @stimpsonslostson 's one. (They do look quite Christmassy too so you may get away with saying its a large decoration for the top of the tree....)