Favourite Fuzzface

shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
massively subjective question but which is your favourite Fuzzface type of pedal? 

Ive been using the Fulltone 69 and love it but I’ve heard a couple of videos which make me think I need to invest in a new pedal.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    I think this will be another case of pedals having different takes on 'the real thing', so you'll probably need to buy 'em, try 'em, and sell 'em or keep 'em.

I love the Cornell one personally...
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    edited July 2018
    Kr Gypsy fuzz great sounding silicon fuzz face but on the smoother side. analogman nkt275 geranium fuzz is hard to beat.
    D*A*M head buzz bc108 is awesome but rare.

Just waiting on a D*A*M maggot brain bc108 i have on order.

Absolutely love fuzz faces.

Ps forgot to mention the mighty Original Diaz Texas Square Face easily as good as the analogman nkt275 sunface for clean up.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I don't know how much FF genes the Lunar Module has but I love that pedal, if there had to be one dirt pedal in a rig that'd be it, sounds great and so flexible.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    Creepy Fingers owns a good example of an original '66, which, unless I'm mistaken, used to belong to D*A*M. I have a one knob Ge FF based on his original, and I like to think it sounds like a D*A*M but didn't cost me half as much.

EFE Black Acid/black dust is a great example of Si FF but they're quite high gain (although you can tweak and dial back the black acid). 

The fuzzdog one knob kit is great, I really recommend it for tweaking values to suit your rig.

A Roger Mayer Axis or clone is good... actually, the Roger Mayer classic is another nice Ge FF. Sounded quite similar to my Creepy Fingers '66 clone. The RM stuff is not convenient in terms of pedal board space, however.

I'd quite like to try a Joe Bonamassa sig FF - not because I'm a JB fan, but because a lot of modern takes on the FF are about maximising gain, sometimes to the detriment of their cleanup properties and overdrive tones. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    I built a fuzz dog with my own funky NOS-somethingorother germanium transistors. It sounds great, though not really a fuzz guy.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    It sounds great, though not really a fuzz guy.
    The beauty of a good fuzz face is how easy they are to rein in. They only act and sound like a fuzz at full whack, any less than that is just varying shades of grit.

[imo/ymmv/etc.]
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3868
    edited July 2018
    Analogman Sunface. Plenty of transistor options to taylor your sound too
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Lebarque said:
    Analogman Sunface. Plenty of transistor options to taylor your sound
    I was having a look of his site earlier but it’s a bit over the top for me. I don’t know what or which I like or what all the differences are. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    shaunm said:
    Lebarque said:
    I was having a look of his site earlier but it’s a bit over the top for me. I don’t know what or which I like or what all the differences are. 
    Yes I found that too. Just too confusing. I reckon he can afford to revamp that website by now 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3868
    shaunm said:
    Lebarque said:
    Yes I found that too. Just too confusing. I reckon he can afford to revamp that website by now 
    Email them and explain what you want. They'll recommend the perfect one.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Lebarque said:
    Analogman Sunface. Plenty of transistor options to taylor your sound too
    I'd love to try a Sunface, but I simply can't deal with their awful website, and the one I want is barely ever for sale used.

The best FF for my tastes is the Eric Johnson - but it's battery only and fucking enormous so I can't have one. :(
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    Lunar Module for me. I don't have an original, but built the Fuzzdog clone. Super versatile. Can do almost everything, including unhinged fuzz tones, smooth Gilmour tones, light crunch, the lot.

I've had bad luck DIYing fuzz faces, ironically, despite them being very simple circuits.* I suspect as much bad NOS transistors as anything else.

* I've built dozens of much more complicated pedals.