Recommended reading for someone new to DSLR cameras?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    zepp76 said:
    The camera turned up today, branded as a rebel T6 so it's come from the states. The battery charger plug is a two pin jobby but the seals on the box were opened and a cheap and nasty three pin converter was put in, it should do the job but I'd rather have a U.K charger so I'll have a butchers for one. A nice camera though, I'll charge the battery tomorrow and give it a whirl.
    Is the lead for the charger detachable? If so just swap it for a standard figure 8 lead with a fused U.K. plug.

Sounds like a grey import, which shouldn’t be a problem unless you need to claim a repair under warranty : unfortunately Canon UK won’t touch it. Hopefully the people you bought it from have a tame repairer in the U.K. if it does needs fixing or they’ll swap it out. Tbh they’re normally very reliable so it won’t be an issue. 

Anyways, enjoy yourself with it.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited July 2018
    boogieman said:
    Absolutely ^. There’s really no need to dive into buying expensive lenses and other kit before learning the basics with what you have. Once (or if) you feel the need to buy more or better lenses, there’s plenty of intermediate quality gear from the likes of Sigma, Tamron and Canon themselves that are a step up from the kit lenses but without the cost of the top end L series glass.

I’m going to disagree with that one.. I would choose a 10 year old used Canon with L glass on over a modern one with kit lens any day of the week.. kit lenses have got better over the years but so many image problem questions beginners have on TalkPhotography are nearly always down to the limitations of the kit lens.
    Using that logic, a beginner guitarist should start with Pro-level gear. 
    No point spending that kind of cash when starting out
    My first electric guitar was a Custom 24.

I'm still shit.

As for cameras, it's hard to find any really bad cameras or lenses these days, i mean they may be bad compare to some thousand pound prime but it's still better than your phone.  The biggest thing holding you back will be your talent.

A cheap lens can still do well, for sure. This was taken with the now-ancient (relatively speaking) nikon 18-70 3.5-4.5 last week. This lens is considered not-sharp and can be found for twenty quid if you're lucky...

https://flic.kr/p/29cPZND

Not sure how well it works on the forum from copying on mobile. But the point is, it's a nice (although not imaginative!) subject in good quality of light. 

There are some excellent quality affordable lenses out there now and bodies are astonishing - loads of range for editing, megapixels aplenty and insane autofocus systems, all in "entry level" kit.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365

@zep76 Free how to book here

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/do...r-current-kindle-price-is-956-freesdp-2989653 

I've just downloaded it, it's a kosher deal. Looks ok and has some useful tips.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom