Equal Pay - Wimbledon

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Chalky said:
    I think pay equality should be a given. The precedent should be set in real life as much as Sport. Tennis is a good example were the economics are in favour of equality, as tournaments like Wimbledon attract a massive audience for both women and men. A lot of the time men underestimate how good these sportswomen are at their chosen sport. 
    As for the men's semi final that was an exercise in tedium while awaiting Nadal & Djorkovic to arrive on court.
    Womens tennis is boring, and the majority of the audience feel the same.  But by your logic the audience should be forced to buy a ticket for womens matches?
    In your opinion it's boring. However, it seems to put bums on seats at Wimbledon I am assuming the women's Tennis Police have not put them there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Should equal pay be given in football? Should, for example, Arsenal's female team get the same as the players in the male team?

It would bankrupt the clubs immediately but I can see a smart-arse lawyer bringing such a claim and I'm not convinced it would lose. Is it fair for clubs to say the truth, which is that they can't pay them more because there's next to no interest in it, therefore sod all sponsorship money or ticket revenue to fund it?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4780
    Sporky said:
    Do people really want to sit for six hours watching one match?

There'd better be at-seat Pimms deliveries. And free catheterization at entry. 
    Factoid alert. That's not how it works on the show courts. You leave your seat at the break and have a wee. When you come back they won't let you in until the next break, so you watch the BBC coverage of your match on the many TVs scattered around the area beneath the court.

Yes, I'd stay to watch a 6 hour match if it was interesting enough. 
    Buying a ticket for Wimbledon (via the ballot, anyway, which is the only route I've ever used) is similar to buying a ticket for a festival. You have a ticket for a seat on a particular court and you get to watch what matches the organisers schedule for that court - unless you prefer to wander amongst the other courts, which don't have reserved seats. You can also get tickets for entry to the grounds, and wander in the same way, without having a seat on a show court. 

So, you can't control if your ticket gives you a men’s match, a women’s match or a mixed doubles. They tell you you've come up in the ballot for a particular day, and ask you if you'd like to buy the tickets. You know the court you've got, but not which seat. From the schedule, you can tell if it's men’s semi-finals day, but obviously not who you'll see.  You don't get to know the seat until the physical tickets arrive at your house. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited July 2018
    Buying a ticket for Wimbledon (via the ballot, anyway, which is the only route I've ever used) is similar to buying a ticket for a festival. You have a ticket for a seat on a particular court and you get to watch what matches the organisers schedule for that court - unless you prefer to wander amongst the other courts, which don't have reserved seats. You can also get tickets for entry to the grounds, and wander in the same way, without having a seat on a show court. 

So, you can't control if your ticket gives you a men’s match, a women’s match or a mixed doubles. They tell you you've come up in the ballot for a particular day, and ask you if you'd like to buy the tickets. You know the court you've got, but not which seat. From the schedule, you can tell if it's men’s semi-finals day, but obviously not who you'll see.  You don't get to know the seat until the physical tickets arrive at your house. 
    I'm sure you know there are 4 ways to buy Wimbledon tickets, of which one is the Public Ballot.
    Chalky said:

I'm sure you know there are 4 ways to buy Wimbledon tickets, of which one is the Public Ballot.
    Seriously, no. I've only ever used the ballot. I assumed other methods would be unaffordable or (to me) poor VFM. What choices have I missed out on? 

I"m not that big a tennis fan, BTW, but do enjoy a summers day at Wimbledon.